Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WingTip Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm not sure exactly where to start so I'll just throw my symptoms out there and hope that somebody might be able to steer me in the right direction. This is going to be a really long story so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read it and any suggestions you might have.

I'm a 34 year old male. Never smoked or used tobacco. Very infrequent social drinker (maybe a few bottles of wine per year).

7 years ago I had mononucleosis and was basically sick for a month.

About 2 years ago I had a fungal infection in the right side of my throat. My only symptom was a very high fever. Blood work came back fine and despite several doctor visits and courses of antibiotics nobody could determine why I had a fever. I ended up in the ER one night after I woke up not being able to think straight (almost like I had a stroke). I was in the hospital for 5 days, during which time it was determined through several different tests (CT, MRI, blood, spinal tap, etc.) that I had this fungal infection in my throat that apparently was in an area where antibiotics could not reach. The infection was drained surgically from within my throat and I recovered over the course of a few weeks on anti-fungal medication.

I don't know if the above is relevant or not but I wanted to mention it in case it was. Ever since my hospital stay I have noticed that the lymph node on the right side of my jaw/neck (jugulodiastric) has been slightly swollen. Several doctors have told me that sometimes after an infection the node may remain swollen forever and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Some additional background, about a year ago I had oral surgery to have all of my wisdom teeth removed (all were impacted). Since then I have had two root canals done and had to have the back right lower molar pulled. When I had the molar pulled the dentist did a bone graft of the site with synthetic material in case I later want to do a tooth implant there.

Starting about 10 months ago I've had an almost constant feeling of "fullness" or something just not quite right with my right ear. The best way I can describe it is it feels like there is a tube from my ear to my throat and it is clogged or something. It feels like I need to remove earwax from my ear but I know my ears are clear (from doctor's visits). I also went to an audiologist who verified that my ears "pop" and that my hearing was okay.

At the same time I have had an almost constant sensation of something stuck in my throat (lump in throat / globus). This has been causing me to try and clear my throat quite often but it doesn't help.

I have been to an allergist, had allergy tests done. Nothing really severe came up, just some mild allergies to things like dust, trees, mold, etc. I don't have any runny nose, watery eyes, etc.

During this same time the swollen lymph node seems to be bothering me more. I went to an ENT doctor and they did the nasal scope, didn't see anything other than a nasal polyp on one side. They had me try various allergy medications and nasal sprays but none of them seemed to help. I had a CT scan which didn't show anything but then I also had a MRI with contrast that indicates that lymph nodes are swollen on both sides but the right side is larger at about 2cm. The MRI report says that no other masses or issues were detected. To me it almost feels like somehow the swollen lymph node is making me feel like something is in my throat and also possibly pushing on something inside causing me to feel the ear fullness.

After seeing two different ENT doctors they both said that they could remove the lymph node for a biopsy if I wanted. I have scheduled that surgery as I really need to figure out what is going on, however to me it seems like there must be some underlying problem that is causing the lymph node to be swollen in the first place, so I'm not sure if just removing it is a good idea but they act like it's no big deal since there are so many lymph nodes in your body.

So now (and sorry for such a lengthy read), what lead me to find this forum, is that I have over the last two months or so notice that on the roof of my mouth on the right side about half way back there is an area that is raised. Not a exact raised sore or pimple type structure but more just a smooth slight bump. It is only on the right side and seems to have a white outline towards the front of it. I can feel it with my tongue and occasionally it will feel sore, almost like sinus pressure is behind it.

I've been to the dentist for regular cleaning and the oral cancer screenings but have never been told anything is out of the ordinary. I haven't been to the doctor or dentist since I notice this though.

So basically I have a hard bump on the roof of my mouth, ear fullness, a swollen lymph node, and a feeling of something in my throat, and this is all only on the right side. The right side is also where I had a fungal infection in the throat, wisdom teeth removed, a root canal done, and a dental bone graft placed. During all of this time I have had regular bloodwork done (all normal).

To top everything off the ear fullness and throat thing started right around the same time that I moved to Florida from the north... so in the back of my mind I'm always wondering if there is just some strange allergy at play here even though I've tried the allergy meds and didn't really have any strong allergies show up in the testing.

Any ideas as to what could be going on? Is it a good idea for me to go ahead and get the lymph node removed to be biopsied or should I have the bump on the roof of my mouth tested first? I'd hate to remove the lymph node if there's just some type of constant infection that could be fixed without removing it, but then again it sounds like removing the lymph node might be what is needed to steer the doctors in the right direction.

Thanks for reading through all this!

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Well, you sure have been through a lot! It's really important to see an ENT or Oral surgeon with extensive experience treating cancer patients. Following is a list from the Nat'l Cancer Institute of approved cancer centers:
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

Perhaps there is one close to you that you can check out. Another good link would be the U.S. News list of best ranked hospitals:
http://health.usnews.com/health/best-hospitals/cancer-hospital-rankings/

The only way to tell for sure if it is cancer is with a biopsy. There are different types of biopsies and on the main pages of OCF if you check out the section on Diagnosis which includes description biopsies which might be useful in preparing your questions for the doctor or for anyone here. http://oralcancerfoundation.org/diagnosis/index.htm

My son's experience was a bit different from yours, but I'm sure others will be along with experience which more closely resembles yours. I sure hope it turns out NOT to be cancer, but whatever the outcome, you are in the best place for information and help from people who have been where you are.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Get an appt at Moffitt.

Consider a FNA (fine needle aspiration) of that node. It's quick, painless and pretty reliable.

Get an appt with Moffitt.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
WingTip Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the replies. Is there any harm in going ahead and just getting the node removed? I already have that scheduled for next week and I don't think I'll get in anywhere else before then.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Ditto what Dave said... Though I would like to add two things - the ear fullness - can be related to your prior surgery... Im definitely rewired in my throat since my surgery and sometimes fluid- when I drink - gets into my ear canal and makes it feel full. And the node being two cm may definitely be pressing on something that makes you feel like they're something in your throat. It depends on location, size and what's around it. That said my final remark is do not quit until you get a definite answer with a treatment that works!!! smile good luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Other than someone cutting something out that doesn't need to come out, no. I would ask about the FNA before I let anyone cut me up.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I agree with Davidcpa....You live in FL call Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa.

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

WingTip Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks again for the replies. I called Moffitt and they said that they only handle people who have already been diagnosed and suggested I contact an ENT (which I have and both ENTs are to the point here they just say to do the excisional biopsy).

I guess I'm wondering if the node has been swollen for a year or more is there anything that might cause it to go back to normal or is it stuck at this point? If it's stuck then maybe removing it will relieve my ear and throat symptoms if it is pushing on things from being enlarged.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Keep us posted.

David

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I personally would go with the excision it's the best option - you will get your biopsy and maybe some relief. Though it mayl effect your neck muscles, and you may need some physio. Hugs and good luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users