Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156034 10-10-2012 05:56 PM
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

First, let me say that I have been coming to this forum for several years now. Its been a great source of comfort as I try to cope with my father's cancer. But he is very strong and positive and perhaps his story will be somewhat of an inspiration to you.

In January 2005 my father was diagnosed with stage I SCC. He had a spot under his tongue. They did surgery to remove it and treated it with radiation. He was cancer free for over 3 years until his first recurrence in 2008. This time it was near his jaw bone, but still a small spot. They removed it with surgery and decided to try radiation again. The second recurrence was in October of 2010. This time it was a much bigger deal because it was in his jaw bone. He had part of his jaw bone removed and he needed a skin graft because the two radiation treatments left his skin completely destroyed. Now he has been diagnosed with his third recurrence and I am quite distraught. He has cancer in his neck and I'm very scared. I am waiting to find out the recommended treatment. The doctors talked about chemo or maybe a radiation chemo combination. Its a moderately differentiated cancer. Its been almost 8 years since his first diagnosis.
I'm really looking for support and any words of hope, especially for all those wonderful, courageous survivors out there. My dad is only 62 and still works out at the gym every day. Its so hard to accept this. But for those of you just beginning your journey, please know that you can beat the odds (8 years later, my dad is still here and fighting strong!)
Anyway, all words of encouragement are needed. Thank you for reading my story...

Ang - Father first Dx Jan 05 SCC floor of mouth, stage 1 surg/rad treatment; recur May08 near jaw bone surg/rad again; recur Oct10 in jaw bone, partial bone removal no rad; recur Oct 2012, surg. to remove but some left in neck and waiting for treatment recommendation - he is a warrior!!!
Ina Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Good Evening Ang,
I am new to this forum. My mother-in-law has the exact cancer pattern like your father. She had a partial glossectomy 2010 and Mandibular Resection and reconstruction yesterday. The pattern for her is every 2 years. She had her parathyroid removed in 2008,they said it was not cancer but I honestly think it was.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I can feel your pain. No words can give you comfort, but no matter what I am here for you as well as everybody in this forum.

Take care of yourself as well.... we the caregivers and supporters need to be healthy and well.

Joyce March 1940 to January 2014
A wife, a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
She fought oral cancer from late 2009 to Early 2014.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hi welcome - hopefully they can operate to remove what is in his neck. The tissue is an issue as its been damaged. Your father is an inspirationi truly hope they up get it all this time. Hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF, Ang! The only thing I can tell you is that recurrences can be very difficult to deal with. Ive had oral cancer 3 times within 3 years and it was not easy at all, especially the last round.

The very best chance for your father to beat this is to take him to a cancer center. We have a member who was being seen at a reputable hospital and went thru several recurrences. His doc pretty much advised him to quit trying and seek out hospice when the cancer came back. He went to the top cancer centers in several locations for more opinions and its a good thing he did as he is still here. This is just one example of why cancer centers are the place to be especially when dealing with recurrences and treating a patient who has done rads twice.

Best wishes to your father!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you for comments! I can't tell you how good it felt to wake up to your notes...to know that there is a group of people out there that are available to help me through this. You are all amazing and I hope that I can be a source of support, hope, and encouragement as well.

We are researching CCC's and will def. reach out for a second opinion. My dad's doctor is very supportive of this. During his second recurrence, his doctor talked to another doctor at Sloan Kettering (where my brother was interning) and this conversation actually changed to course of the surgery. So yes, thank you for the guidance and we certainly will make sure we get as much input as possible for this next course of treatment.

Ang - Father first Dx Jan 05 SCC floor of mouth, stage 1 surg/rad treatment; recur May08 near jaw bone surg/rad again; recur Oct10 in jaw bone, partial bone removal no rad; recur Oct 2012, surg. to remove but some left in neck and waiting for treatment recommendation - he is a warrior!!!
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

As Ina said, we are here for you. We, the caregivers, need to be comforted in order to be good comforters. Please keep in touch!
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Welcome Ang! Your father is a survivor and a fighter, sad that he has to go through this three times but it can be done, Christine is an example of that. My prayers are with you and your father.

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk
OP Offline

I just want to thank all the readers and posters out there. Its been a few days since my original post and I am feeling better today. My dad has a doctor appt later, so we will learn more about his next steps. I have been responding to other people's posts and its been very therapeutic for me. I hope that I am able to provide support to anyone that needs it. My father's story is very incredible, I think. He doesn't eat solids anymore...hasn't for two years since his jaw bone removal, but he hasn't lost a pound and he works out every day. I wish he would come on this site and share his story himself, but he isn't terribly fond of computers:) That is OK...I am here to do it for him! Please let me know if you need words of encouragement because he has been through and survived a LOT!!! Hasn't done chemo yet though...I suspect that part of his journey will start soon.

Ina Offline

Hello Ang, I feel the same way since I joined OCF, it has helped me to cope with my mother-in-law's surgery. Also hearing from other people who has gone through this and caregivers/supporters had given me hope, encouragement and motivation.

Keep the faith Ang for your father!! Always take care of yourself, we have to be strong physically, emotionally and spiritually for them.

Ina

Joyce March 1940 to January 2014
A wife, a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
She fought oral cancer from late 2009 to Early 2014.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Ang ur father is a hero...... i adore his bravery.... I wish i can meet him personally n say this.... give him my respects..... i will pray for both of u....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23