Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

LeeLee

Since you were able to hit reply to JayTee' post, let's spell out how you can post your own thread about your husband and get answers from people who have not only survived but thrived with the exact same cancer as your husband plus comments from other caregivers like yourself.
At the top of this page on the left hand side there is a blue
Introduce yourself", just click on it and you will be on the Introduce yourself forum home page. At the top right, underneath the blue lines, there will be a button saying:
New Topic. Just click on that and a box will pop up for your post, just like the one when you hit reply to JayTee.

As a caregiver, you will find other caregivers understand your issues plus the patients will also chime in with their first hand experience and advice on problems and issues facing your husband. Welcome to OCF. There are no questions you cannot ask here in the open forum that will upset us and don't worry if they sound basic or silly. We've thought them ourselves at some point whether we asked them or not
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-21-2012 10:32 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Jay Tee Offline OP
OP Offline

David,

Thank you so much. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. And you are right about our significant others. Without her I know my outcome would not be as positive as it is. To all you CG's out there, you are more important than you know.

I've renewed my gym membership and will begin this week getting ready for this winter's ski season. I see my RO tomorrow and have a number of questions on recurrence and is there anything I can do other than be as healthy as possible to keep close by sites (tonsils, etc) cancer free.

Once again, your answers were spot on for what I needed to hear.

Thank you,

JT

Age 58 Dx Dec 2011, HPV 16+ SCC, T2N2M0, Stage IVa BOT and 2 nodes L&R, non smoker, casual drinker, Tx 27 Jan - 6 Mar 2012, Cisplatin x 3 with concurrent IMRT x 35, (70 Gy), Bilat & size (3.3 cm) made tumor inop, Peg Jan - May 2012, Esophageal Dilation x2, PET Clear 6 Jun 2012. Lost 60 lbs!
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi JT,
My husband Kevin had the same dx and has the same hearing loss and taste/dry mouth issues David spoke of. It is getting better by the month.
I don't think any of us has a week (maybe day) that we don't wonder if it will come back. It's not as bad now as it used to be though. My hope is that as we get farther away from it I will think less and less of recurrence. Kevin doesn't talk much about things, but I know he thinks about it too.
We have a PET and scope in October. I'm already nervous about it! We have been through the statistics thing, but really, like others have said, we are all different. David is an inspiration and Kevin and I have decided we will follow in his footsteps!! LOL
Blessings,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Jay Tee,

My advice is don't bother with asking your doc about your recurrence. It won't matter as you either will or won't. OK so your human. In that case ask away but the only thing you can be told is that statistically studies have shown that HPV + SCC responds better to the Tx that you had (vs HPV- SCC) and therefore one can draw the conclusion that your chances of recurrence are therefore less than HPV- SCC.

My other advice is for you to forget about your bout with cancer and get on with the rest of your life.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Jay Tee

I am only 2 months ahead of you and had a very similar dx. My experience of recovery has been that it is happening at a snails pace. But it is happening. I have been back at work part time for the last 2 months which has really helped me to feel more normal again, this has been psychologically very important. My taste has improved a lot in the last month. but swallowing and dry mouth are still a challenge. Sounds like you have had a tougher time than me with the swallowing though. What was the indication that you needed oesophageal dilatations so soon after treatment?

In terms of the future I fully endorse David's comment above. Now is the time to get on with living. I have been lucky enough to have been given a second chance at living (without the successful treatment we have both received we would not be in a good place right now!) and I have had a chance to reassess the important things in life. Before my dx I was in a bit of a rut, fed up with my job, overweight and unfit. Through my treatment I was bowled over by the support I got from all sorts of people, family and friends as well as work colleagues and the medical team giving me the treatment. As a result I now value my life, I am looking good, heading towards being fitter and eating a much healthier diet. I was feeling very happy with life earlier today and wondering if I am a bit in denial of the seriousness of the situation. But I don't think so. If I have the bad luck to get a recurrence of this horrible cancer in the next few months or years, I will be really pissed off with myself if I have wasted the good health I have at the moment worrying. I hope that makes sense!

Wishing you all the best with your recovery.
Sally.

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Leelee

I also had a similar dx and I was where your husband is now, over Xmas and New Year. My mouth was so sore I couldn't eat or drink and I was very miserable. I didn't want to see anyone and my poor partner was in your position having to deal with me without being able to put it right for me. All I can say is hang on in there. It does get better, though it will get a bit worse first. I found that even water tasted horrible and I couldn't tolerate hot or cold. I found that the best thing to sip at was a small bit of ginger root infused in hot water. To keep the temperature right I used a thermos cup and topped it up with hot water periodically to keep the temperature right.

Do please ask questions. Everyone reacts differently to both the chemo and the radiation, but there will be people here who can answer questions on on all aspects.

The treatment is worth it.
Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I was diagnosed in July and just started tx. When I first realized I had cancer I was despondent. I began to plan for the end, totaling up life insurance to see if my family would be OK, and sorts of things. I believed I was dying, and had many morbid thoughts. Everything I did I kept thinking "this could be the last time I do this", whether it was seeing a great sunset or getting a hug from my daughter or eating the ribs I love so much. Then it hit me: this was nothing new! For any of us, every single thing we do could end up being the last time we do it, as none of us ever know when our particular time on earth will end.

When I realized that my attitude changed, and I went back to simply enjoying all those good things. You will be in my prayers, and based on what others here say, I know that we can get through the tough times and come out on the other side--it's just a matter of time and perseverance. Once on the other side of all this, as for how long we will be here, none of us can say, so enjoy it all. Until then, try to find something good even on the bad days (even if it is only the memory of a past good day, or the hope instilled by others here of the promise of a future good day to come).

Last edited by Ed H; 08-21-2012 11:34 PM.

Ed H, NE Ohio
SCC BOT with lymph node involvement, HPV+, diagnosed 7/12
Radiation and Cisplatin
Jay Tee Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=saxicola] If I have the bad luck to get a recurrence of this horrible cancer in the next few months or years, I will be really pissed off with myself if I have wasted the good health I have at the moment worrying.[/quote]

Sally,
What you said makes perfect sense, and you have given me a great positive image with which to move forward; whether it be 2 years or 20 years, or more.

Thank you,

JT

Age 58 Dx Dec 2011, HPV 16+ SCC, T2N2M0, Stage IVa BOT and 2 nodes L&R, non smoker, casual drinker, Tx 27 Jan - 6 Mar 2012, Cisplatin x 3 with concurrent IMRT x 35, (70 Gy), Bilat & size (3.3 cm) made tumor inop, Peg Jan - May 2012, Esophageal Dilation x2, PET Clear 6 Jun 2012. Lost 60 lbs!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics