Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#151859 07-09-2012 04:50 PM
OP Offline

Hello all my name is brittany i have had a tumor on the hard palate of my mouth now for years. I have been to afriad to have it looked at by a doctor. And my dentist never said anything about it at all. I decided i was going to get it checked out because it had grown over the past few months. On june 20th 2012 i went to my regular dr had her look at it she gave me a referral to head and neck surgery. The called the same day and booked myy first appt for thr next day june 21st. Went to my apt and met with Dr.Pahlavan he examined it and made an appt to have a cat scan done june 25th and also a follow up apt to go over the ct scan june 29th. I went back to dr pahlavan on the 29th and i was informed that the tumor had eroded the bone that seperates my mouth from the nasal passage.. (i believe). He ordered a biopsy to be done right there in his office... I get my biopsy results on july 11 only two days from now. Since my biopsy i havent been able to eat anthing besides smoothies, yogurt, and jello. I am still in alot of pain and eating normal food is not an option for me everything that touches my tumor hurts even my own tounge. If i am in this much pain from a biopsy i cant even imagine what surgery would be like. I am constantly beating my self up because i should have had it taken care year ago... Part of the reason i did not have it taken care of is because i lost my insurance... But that is still no reason to let my health go. I had no idea there was anything called oral cancer. Im upset that my dentist never saw anything wrong with it. I am praying that i do no have cancer. I am a mother two three young children ages 7, 4 and 9months. I do not want my children to have to see me go through any kind of hurt or pain. They are just too young to understand... Im sorry about my scattered post / vent. Im just sittin here crying trying to get it all out.

Biopsy 6/29/12
1st biopsy results 7/11/12.. from kaiser..possible ACC.
2nd biopsy results 7/20/12 from UC San Fran.. possible (Pleomorphic adenoma) benign tumor
Surgery 8/7/12. Still No DX.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You've come to the right place, Brittany -You'll find lots of the latest information and compassionate help from people who've been where you are. It's good that you had the biopsy because it's the only way to tell for sure IF it is cancer. So until July 11th when you get the results, try to keep busy and stay as calm as you can. Sure hope it isn't cancer but if it is, you can get thru it. I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. Did the doctor give you anything to help with that? Most people don't get a lot of pain at the start but my son did. His doctor told him it was because the cancer was wrapped around a nerve. He didn't have insurance either at the time and he kept putting off going to see the doctor, too. That was six years ago and he's doing great, now! THe important thing now is that you did get the biopsy and it won't be long before you get the results. Whatever the outcome, then you can start doing something about it and you'll find a lot of help here if or whenever you need it. So check back often and let us know how you are.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

Thank u very much for your response. My dr did give me a rx for oxycodone but it made me feel real loopy and it barely took the pain away. My mom gave.me three of her tramadols to try and it worked that day i had very little pain i called my dr and asked for a rx of tramadol and he did give it to me but after two days of the tramadol i think my body got immune to it because i feel like its not working either. But i will admit some days are beter than others. Yesterday and today the pain is hotrible to the point where im crying. And some days im not in that much pain. My dr did say it would be sore for about two weeks. It is sore but i dont think he understands there is a difference between being sore and having pain. I have had this tumor now for about 6 years it started out very smal and now its very big. Over the years now there has been times where it has been sore for a few months then it goes away. But nothing this painful. I will be checking back here very often seeing that im a stay at home.mom with nothing to do.

Biopsy 6/29/12
2nd biopsy results 7/20/12 from UC San Fran.. possible (Pleomorphic adenoma) benign tumor
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Try rinsing your mouth with salt water, baking soda and water (1 tbsp of the baking soda and salt each to one bottle of water) - it will keep the area clean and help heal a bit. It can be painful, try to just do soft, luke warm, non acidic foods - for a week or so. Fingers crossed its not cancer. If it is you will get though it... Hugs!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Canuck"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Miss Brittany - welcome!
I had horrible pain which got much worse after my biopsy too. With all the topical prescriptions I had, simple OraJel for tooth pain worked the best. It stung when I first put it on my tongue, but it lasted the longest of all the topical stuff I tried. It allowed me to eat.

Be careful with Tramadol - it can cause unbelievable constipation. A condition that was more painful than my mouth! Make sure you use Restoralax or something similar if you are taking it.

Another eating tip that worked for me - I used a variety of meal replacements (Boost, Ensure, Carnation etc.) I would put 3 or 4 ice cubes in a cold glass and pour in the drink. When the ice melted, I had to drink smile It kept my strength up.

Having said all that, you might not have cancer. I just wanted to give you a few ideas on how to get through some of your pain.
XOXO

Pain late 2009. Dx as change in altitude. Sore spot on tongue late 2010. Dx as irritation.
Leukoplakia Bx Feb 2011 - Lichen Planus.
Bx May 2011 - Hyperplasia. Same sample retested as SCC.
June 2011 Rt Hemigloss,ND,rff,33 Rads. Hosp for 15 days w/bi-lateral pneumonia.
T3N1M0 Stage IV.
OP Offline

Thank u all so much i have tried the baking soda and salt with water and it burns like crazy. Even brushing my teeth burn. Soup with any kind of seasoning in it burns as well this is why i have been sticking to jello. I did try some ensure today and the only way to drink them are when they are really cold or in plenty of ice.

Biopsy 6/29/12
OP Offline

Is the restoralax somethin i can get over the counter? Or do i need a rx

Biopsy 6/29/12
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

No Rx - it's OTC. Probably in the laxative section. It's very mild on your system.
Before, I was in so much pain I almost got the rubber gloves out. Haha. At least I can laugh about it now.....

And get a mild toothpaste. Kids or something for sensitive teeth. I even had a kid's toothbrush with dinosaurs on it.

Good luck in 2 days!!!! Hoping for the best XX

Pain late 2009. Dx as change in altitude. Sore spot on tongue late 2010. Dx as irritation.
Leukoplakia Bx Feb 2011 - Lichen Planus.
Bx May 2011 - Hyperplasia. Same sample retested as SCC.
June 2011 Rt Hemigloss,ND,rff,33 Rads. Hosp for 15 days w/bi-lateral pneumonia.
T3N1M0 Stage IV.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF! Hope your results turn out to be nothing serious! If the baking soda/salt/warm water mixture burns try omitting the salt or cutting it back. This is a very good healing rinse, especially with the salt in it.

Keep us posted on your results. Good luck!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

How much tramadol were u taking in a day. And thanks ill b sure to get some

Biopsy 6/29/12
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users