Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#151805 07-08-2012 03:34 PM
tom1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Completed treatment on 6/14/12. Am improving every day, but have no saliva. Want to eat, can even swallow liquids without much difficulty, but can't swallow food. When will I be able to?
Thanks very much, Tom

I was diagnosed March 2012 SCC T1N2A, Base of Tongue Primary. HPV Positive, Non Smoker, Casual Drinker. 60 years old
Completed 7 Erbitux and 33 IMRT Radiation June 14th. Am on the road to recovery, have PEG (5-14-12)-- NO SALIVA!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Tom, welcome to OCF. The dry mouth will stick around for a few months. Some members carry a water bottle with them for years. Others have found success with taking saliva stimulating meds. I tried them but didnt like the side effects (sweating). Docs say one month of recovery for every week of rads. Everyone is different and will recover at their own pace. Hang in there, things will slowly improve.

best wishes with your continued recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

My husband had pretty bad mucositis - took him three months to start in on solid food (if you can call an easy over egg solid). We got pretty creative with protein shakes before that.

His saliva is returning - dinner takes about one glass of water instead of 3 or 4. It is frustratingly slow, but better than the alternative.

Best wishes on your recovery!

Last edited by Maria; 07-08-2012 05:53 PM.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

First off remember that we all can recover differently so what anyone says may not apply to you. We are similar in Dx and Tx except I had Cisplatin and I didn't have a PEG. For me it was appx 3 weeks PT (post Tx) before I really wanted to eat solid food and it was 4 months PT before I could taste much of anything. At 5 months I had another positive bump in my taste but it wasn't until 14 months PT that I really felt a big improvement in my taste and saliva. It took me a full 2 years to get to the point where I didn't see any further improvements. I always drank Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC with every meal to boost my caloric intake and I tried to consume 3000 cals each and every day in addition to water. At first the eating was so slow that my food would get cold before I finished and my portions were small.

Time improves everything but you must be patient.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
tom1 Offline OP
OP Offline

christine
Thanks for the info
tom

I was diagnosed March 2012 SCC T1N2A, Base of Tongue Primary. HPV Positive, Non Smoker, Casual Drinker. 60 years old
Completed 7 Erbitux and 33 IMRT Radiation June 14th. Am on the road to recovery, have PEG (5-14-12)-- NO SALIVA!

My Dad had the same thing happen with his oral cancer. He had Stage 4 Retromolar cancer, surgicallly- a radical neck dissection and a pectoral flap to rebuild his jaw. He has been G tube dependent since 2002. He produces no saliva- a side effect of radiation, and it never did return. He got used to it. He uses oral swabs, and wet washcloths to keep the oral cavity moist.

Best of luck to you

Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Tom,

I am six months out of treatment, and I have recently (within the last few weeks) finally seen a small improvement in my saliva smile. I have noticed recently I rarely have been getting the dry mouth attacks, and I am finally sleeping through the night - previously I was waking up 5-10 times every night with my mouth so dry I couldn't swallow. One thing I found extremely helpful in the meantime was the Biotene dry mouth gum. I carry a pack with me at all times and it has really saved me a few times at work when I was talking to a client and didn't have any water handy. Good luck!

Emily - 24 years old at diagnosis
HPV-, no risk factors
T2N2b Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Left oral tongue, poorly differentiated
Hemiglossectamy, reconstruction, partial neck dissection
30 Radiation treatments, weekly chemo (cisplatin)
1/13/12 last day of treatment
Diagnosed October 2011

Hi Tom,
I was lucky enough that I didn't need radiation, but since I have a pretty intensive tongue surgery I went a long time without eating. I was so fricken hungry!! So I started taking foods that were really moist like , chilli, potatoe soup nice thick gravy soups and threw them in the blender mmmmm it was delicous. Then I started eating similar foods and not blending them, like ravioli, I would smother it with sauce or gravy, and it would slide right down. Then my dad (bless him) started taking me to buffett resturants everyday, I would then try everything and little by little I was able to figure how to eat. Somethings I needed a lot of water to wash it down. Some things I just couldn't manage to move aroung my mouth or down my throat with my messed up tongue so I would use water or my finger. But it really helped to have all the variety to play with. 2.5 years later I eat just about everything I want. Some things are a little more difficult than others, but if I really want to eat somehting, I manage. smile

Also, there is a lot of good information on this site about food. I am sure Christine knows where to find it. It helped me a bunch.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Tom,
I am years out from my radiation and still have very little saliva. It takes some adjustment over a while but you will learn tricks like carrying water at all times, adding foods back slowly, drinking with solid foods, etc. I'm not saying yours won't return but it's not something you can count on.

Type and stage of cancer:1st - SCC left base of oral tongue non HPV, T3N1M0 hemi-glossectomy 60 node rem, radX35 carboplatnum &Erbitux X6, Peg tube, lost 55 lbs
2nd - SCC right base oral tongue, surgery, Cisplatin & Erbitux x 16
3rd - SCC right base oral tongue, surgery, hope.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hello Tom. I'm about 8 weeks out of radiation and this week I have finally noticed some overall improvement. I went from having way too much ropey thick salvia to having very little sticky salvia. Now with all the extra out I'm able to take really few bites of food. I have to let the food sit in my mouth and get soggy and then I can chew. It's kind of like I have to let my mouth know what's coming, what's in there and give my mouth time to get adjusted each bite.
You'll get there and a lot of people I've spoken with got at least some of their salvia back. I've also read a few clinical studies where a majority of the people studied got quite a bit of their salvia back.

Large sore on right side tongue. Had for 3 mos. biopsied came back stage 2 well differentiated tongue cancer. Partial tongue removal and neck disect. On feb142012. Rads for 6weeks finished in June. Couldn't speak or eat for 5 months. Clear pet scan dec 2012. Former smoker hpv- 27male. Recent ENT visit said "as far as I can tell you're cured" 💗
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users