Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#150629 06-10-2012 03:47 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Why can't I just accept the fact I'm sick and need to get well.
I feel like I'm pushing myself everyday to get better at an unrealistic rate because I'm afraid everything is passing me by.
Before cancer I lead a really active life and never thought about it, never even looked at it that way. I work Monday thru Friday as a preschool teacher and did community theater almost year round and now it's like my life is on pause. And it's driving me crazy.
I read people's responses to things I've posted saying "9 months out" "a year out" a part of me would rather die than me trapped that long.
A part of me feels cheated. Like every possibility wasn't presented to me about radiation. And I know if I had known it would have done this to my body and taken away any kind of quality of life I wouldn't have even considered it.
Yes. I know I'm alive...but Somedays that's all I am. Functioning.

Taking a break from the forum for a while. Thank you so much for your support if you've been supportive.
John of arc #150633 06-10-2012 04:15 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

John...you sound like me. You just have to be patient. Remember youre only 6 months in. Give your body and mind time to heal. I remember feeling like that about radiation too. Ive been through 2 heavy duty surgeries radiation and 2 series of Chemo and I think the radiation was the worst. Some of us breeze right through it and some of us have a horrible time of it. sending hugs your way.

4 cancerous tumors stage4 Surgery 10/26/2010 Radiation 2x a day for 4 weeks (started Dec 13th 2010)
Reccurance discovered Nov 2011. Tumor behind left jaw. Erbitux, Taxol and Paraplatin for 6 wk. Surgery scheduled for Feb
50 year old woman smoked for 30 years quit 3 years ago light drinker HPV +16
John of arc #150634 06-10-2012 04:53 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I feeL that way, too, sometimes, and I'm three years out! This is probably one of the worst kinds of cancers you can get, and even some of my friends who have had breast cancer have no idea what my situation is. I find myself almost jealous of those who have had breast cancer, because "our" cancer doesn't get nearly the publicity that breast cancer does. Usually, I can remain pretty upbeat, when I am with my friends and family, but at least I can vent here. Brian's quote about our mouths is really on the money. John, I know that nothing I can say can possibly make it "all better" but please feel free to vent here as much as you like. Everyone here has been where you are, and there are so many others who have had it so much worse. I try to take my inspiration from Christine, Charm and Eric. They make me feel very humble!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
John of arc #150636 06-10-2012 05:43 PM
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

So normal Jon. If you think of the grieving process of which a large part is anger, you reaction is perfectly understandable. Add to that, your life has changed, and you feel cheated because your expectations weren't managed. Even if you were told, you could not have been able to imagine the reality.

It all feels so overwhelming right now - not only because you were not prepared but your body is putting all it's energy into healing which makes if very difficult for you to be grateful or positive to be alive. But it will come.

I suggest you continue to vent, but also write down what you are feeling every day and slowly you will come to realise that your "bad" days are not coming as often and soon your good days will outnumber them. One day you will realise you can't remember when your last "bad" day was.

Lastly, consider some chemical help. Antidepressants smoothed Alex's path during recovery as he found it exceedingly difficult to come to grips with the sheer enormity and shock of what had happened to him. And who wouldn't?

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
John of arc #150644 06-10-2012 07:51 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

John the reality is this... This will always be with you - diligence is your new best friend. you have to be on your guard with regards to oral care, what's normal etc for the rest of your life. It sucks, but that's the way it is, eventually things will heal, you may have some residual damage from the rads etc... The extent of which is up to you - I went for physio, go for acupuncture, and learned lymphatic massage. To try and get back to where I was before all this. I'm at about 85 % but you adapt. All this may not solve any future problems I have but I'm certain it's helped get me to this point. You may feel ripped off by rads and the fall out etc... But the other reality is... Despite all you've been through and all you may go through... You're here to experience it. There are a lot of people who aren't. The radiation may very well have saved your life by preventing a possible recurrence... Ive been told by a radiation dr that it cuts the odds of a recurrence in half. Since this cancer can be very aggressive - Radiation was a good choice... And the drs suggested it for a reason... There had to have been a reason... Possibly the aggressiveness of the cancer, involvement I don't know, but they don't take decisions like that lightly. Chances are you've lost a few more months of your life to this... But you will eventually crawl out of the hole your in and thngs will get better. I was insanely grateful that it only ate up 6 mos of my life, I know people who have to do chemo for the rest of their lives (I have a friend wit incurable peritoneal cancer who spends two days of her life at the local ccc - every week. And once a month she has to go have 3 liters of fluid drained from her abdomen), and there are others who as one of the other posters here said, are getting treatment just to live another day. I am super busy and super active and am final back functioning at s normal level and it's been 13 mos since radiation. So it takes time. Patience. smile give yourself a break.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
klo #150646 06-10-2012 07:58 PM

John, ditto all the good advice you have gotten from other surivors/caregivers. I am EXACTLY one year ahead of you, and am living proof that it does get better. Someday this will all be just a memory for you, and you will remember how far you have come and how truly blessed you are. As zenga...said, there are others who have suffered more and are back here every day inspiring others. One day YOU will be one of the survivors giving hope to others.

I have just spent the last 2-1/2 days with Eric Statler, who is about the most amazing unselfish person I have ever met. He was dealt a horrible hand, and chose to keep on going and work with what he has left, not dwell on what he once had.

Eric, Charm, Christine, Chuck Feeney and others are all my heroes.... they stories kept me going when I was feeling like you feel now.

Please consider some short-term anti-depressant assistance as klo says. Talk to your docs...you need to heal your body and use whatever is at your disposal to do that.
Wishing you the best.

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.
Cheryld #150695 06-11-2012 06:01 PM

Cheryl - youre always so positive. I love it!

John - I'm not sure exactly where you are up in NY, but have you heard of SPOHNC? They have local chapters all over. Im going to my first meeting on Wednesday - and will undoubtably be the youngest there and I know its not fair that we didnt "earn" our cancer but personally for me it was a wake up call - to live a more meaningful life. http://www.spohnc.org/local_chapters.php#ny

Hang in there buddy. Stay strong and trust that there are better days ahead!

Last edited by glocita; 06-11-2012 06:09 PM.

T2N0M0
26 at diagnosis. Non smoker, social drinker, HPV -
Surgery May 15, 2012: Left Partial Gloss + 48 nodes removed, not 1 cancerous! Perineural Nerve Invasion. IMRT x34. Staying positive!
John of arc #150704 06-11-2012 08:40 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Johm, you have been given some good advice. I am three years out, and still feel the same way.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
John of arc #150848 06-14-2012 06:56 AM
OP Offline

I guess it just isn't comforting when I hear people are a year out, 3 years out, 6 months out and still feel this way. It's not encouraging. I only have until the beginning of next month to go back to work and I still can't talk without being in pain or being uncomfortable. I can talk fine when the thick excessive saliva is out of my mouth but that only lasts about 2 minutes if i'm lucky. And it's even more frustrating that no one else seems to have expirenced this problem. It's days like these I wish I had made a different choice. The "but you're living" card isn't enough. I'm alive but every minute of everyday is a fight. I don't want this. They might as well have taken my tongue for all the good its doing me now.
Its completely unfair.

Taking a break from the forum for a while. Thank you so much for your support if you've been supportive.
glocita #150849 06-14-2012 06:58 AM
OP Offline

[quote=glocita]Cheryl - youre always so positive. I love it!

John - I'm not sure exactly where you are up in NY, but have you heard of SPOHNC? They have local chapters all over. Im going to my first meeting on Wednesday - and will undoubtably be the youngest there and I know its not fair that we didnt "earn" our cancer but personally for me it was a wake up call - to live a more meaningful life. http://www.spohnc.org/local_chapters.php#ny

Hang in there buddy. Stay strong and trust that there are better days ahead! [/quote]
It wouldn't matter if there was a support group. I can't talk. I can't tell anyone anything. I'm trapped inside my body

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics