Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I was just wondering if anyone has had specific success with any scar reducing product for the ND scarring. Not that I'm a vain person, but I am only 39 (as of last Sunday) and I don't even have a tattoo. I have taken care of my skin from a very young age, including sun protection, so I want to make sure I do whatever I can to reduce the scarring resulting from the ND surgery. My job entails me having extended face time with colleagues and management so I want to put my best face forward when I go back (which hopefully will be soon)... Look forward to your suggestions. grin

Carpe Diem!!
38, non-smoker, otherwise perfect health. Biopsy: 3/8/2012, SCC Dx Right Underside Tongue: 3/12/2012, Surgery: 4/11/2012 Partial Gloss + Neck Dissection to remove 29 nodes (all clear). No Rads or Chemo req'd. I believe my SCC was caused by product used in dental work.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Pepper,
It will most likely become less visible over the course of this next year. People cannot even see mine anymore.
I have mentioned having this surgery to people who have not known me, and they are always surprised. I was trying to cover my neck up with a scarf recently, and one of my friends told I did not need to do that as my neck looked great! I did use a prescription radiation cream for several months, but that was mainly to make my skin feel better from the radiation after effects. I bought shea butter online that is pure, does not have additives, and I like that a lot. But I do not think any of those things have contributed to the vanishing of my scar. I had a really good surgeon with a lot of experience which probably helped more than anything.
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Pepper,

Just want to reassure you that it will most likely continue to fade. At first I thought my husband was going to have a nasty scar but as the swelling went down it kept improving so now it is not noticeable since the doctor hid it so well in his natural fold. Even my c-section faded to a very thin almost invisible line so give it time. Glad you are doing so well and hope you'll be back at work soon.

Terri

Husband diagnosed Oct '11 Cancer of the vocal cord Nov '11 removed right vocal cord. Neck Dissection, cancer in one node, .2, very small & contained) Jan '12 Radiation and Cisplatin, 6 doses. June '12 & Dec '12 clear Pet scan. April '13 Celebrating 1 year cancer free since treatment ended.

My doctor recommended Maderma on my scars, but I have so many scars I go through the tubes too quickly! My neck dissection scar healed really well, it is barely visible, but my bigger problem is the scars on my arm and leg (from the free flap surgery). They grafted skin from my upper thigh,and I am not sure if that scar stretched from the location, but it is red, about 1 inch wide and 8 inches long. Does anyone else have scars like this? I may consider having a scar revision surgery eventually. In the meantime, however, I heard there are some good concealers you can buy that can cover scars really well. Has anyone ever used/heard of such a thing? I have researched a couple brands - Dermaflouge and SmartCover, and they both seem to have pretty good reviews, I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this.

Emily - 24 years old at diagnosis
HPV-, no risk factors
T2N2b Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Left oral tongue, poorly differentiated
Hemiglossectamy, reconstruction, partial neck dissection
30 Radiation treatments, weekly chemo (cisplatin)
1/13/12 last day of treatment
Diagnosed October 2011
OP Offline

A friend of my mom's mentioned something called ScarGuard but I was wondering if anyone here has had success with anything specific. I'm currently using vitamin E oil and pure Aloe gel...

Carpe Diem!!
38, non-smoker, otherwise perfect health. Biopsy: 3/8/2012, SCC Dx Right Underside Tongue: 3/12/2012, Surgery: 4/11/2012 Partial Gloss + Neck Dissection to remove 29 nodes (all clear). No Rads or Chemo req'd. I believe my SCC was caused by product used in dental work.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Pepper

My neck dissection scar started off really prominent. As an old guy, I didn't mind looking like I had survived several bar roon knife fights, so I did not do anything to reduce it.
You will be pleased to know that just as the other posters mentioned, the ND scar has gradually faded on its own into near invisibility. In the interim, the scarf option may work for you.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

I have had my neck opened 4 times, the scar does fade and becomes less noticable....if you want to "cover" it with makeup, get a green concealer and brush that over the length of the scar then use concealer that matches your skin tone over that...works great...I rarely if ever do this anymore because anyone who knows me knows my scar so why bother...

51 yr old female...dx 12/28/07, partial gloss 1/23/08, nd 3/5/08. Opened the neck AGAIN, 5/21/08. Non smoker, occasional drinker. Additional node pos. 6/26/09, Starting rads and chemo (5-fu, Cisplatin) 7/13/09 T1N2MO. Almost 2yrs out of treatment and feeling great....
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Pepper,
Strangely enough the only good thing about radiation was that it made my scar almost unnoticeable. But my ENT did recommend ScarZone for my neck and for my skin graft. I've been using that in conjunction with a product my boyfriends mom got for me from WalGreens called Bio Oil. Hope that helps!

Miss B

Female, 37 yrs old,Non-Smoker/Social Drinker, HPV-
T3 N1 M0 SCC Dx 11-10-11
11-23-11 Left Hemiglossectomy
11-30-11 Modified Radical Neck Dissection
01-25-12 Removed another spot on BOT, skin graft (left thigh)
38 RADS Tx Finished April 13, 2012
Fall 2014 - HBOT due to wisdom teeth extraction post radiation

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916