Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14801 01-14-2004 05:02 PM
jj Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,

I guess I am doing this right...we will see if it posts anyway! I received my diagnosis today. Squamous cell carcinoma, moderate to well defined??? Something like that. I really will not know much more until next week when I am sent to a cancer center in a larger city. I have been doing my research basically on the web, and this site, which has told me a great deal more what to expect than I was told today.

Not sure how I feel...I guess I had prepared myself pretty much, and I know I am afraid a bit, but can't let myself show it or get down...my husband is a heart patient, my main goal is keeping him calm. Our children are young adults trying to get settled in life, and I don't want them getting torn up over this. And besides, if THEY are ok, I am ok. I want to stay upbeat, positive, and even find some humor (believe it or not). I think I can do this, but I found your forum, and after reading posts, I figured that this kind of first hand experience and support is definitely going to help me keep the "scary" down so I can keep smiling and keeping my family from getting upset.

Anyway, I am here and I thank you all for being here. Got a feeling you are going to be a terrific help to me, and maybe down the line I can help someone too.

jj

Squamous Cell Carcinoma, floor of mouth. T2 N0 M0. Diagnosed January 2004. Partial glossectomy, right neck dissection, removal of floor of mouth, gum, bottom teeth, flap from forearm, skin grafts.
#14802 01-15-2004 01:09 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Welcome to our little neck of the woods, jj. Sorry you had to find us! As you find out more, please post and keep us up to date. We are all still learning, too. When I found out I had SCC on my tongue, I left the next day on vacation. I spent my entire trip imagining the worst. When I got back, met my ENT and had a game plan, it was such a relief. You are in my prayers!

Sincerely,
Lisa

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
#14803 01-15-2004 02:47 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Our NECK of the woods...Great pun :p Yes JJ we have a sense of humor too.

You are beginning a trip that will have ups and downs but many have done it and you can too. Ask any questions you need answered. It is really good you are getting to a large hospital for treatment options. You want to get the best advice you can about this.

Take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#14804 01-15-2004 12:08 PM

Hello JJ,

Keep up that great attitude. It's nice to be able to educate someone as I was educated about Head & Neck Cancer on this website.
Ask any question you can think of. There is no such thing as a dumb question. You can also go back and read some of the old posts as they are still revelant. There is a ton of answers about
H&N Cancer in the achrives.
You can also email different people who have allot of medical experience. Good Luck to you.
Daniel

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#14805 01-15-2004 01:16 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

jj, your message brings my memory back to the day when I received the heartbreaking news and had to break it to my two sons who were at that time 12 and 16. They had no idea what cancer was but knew that it could be fatal. I tried to remain very calm in front of them and repeatedly emphasised these 3 words: Life as usual. They took it very well and I am glad that their life hasn't been adversely affected by my illness. It is my husband whose daily work has been seriously interrupted. He had to quit from important meetings because he opted to accompany me to my treatment although I told him I could be on my own. When treatment was over, he squeezed time to return home during office hours fearing that I felt too bored without him around.He said he couldn't do anything to reduce my pain, but he wanted to assure me that he would always be available whenever I needed him.I owe him a lot and without his support and care, I don't think I could have survived this battle.I don't have a particularly strong character and I am sure if I can make through all hardships, so can you and others on this forum.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#14806 01-15-2004 04:55 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

JJ as others have said, welcome to the website. This is one of those things I wish I had found out about a lot earlier in my adventure with all this. It's a great source of information and support.

And yes we also believe in finding humor even in the darker moments, hard as it can be sometime. We've got what we've got, sometimes a little humor can get us through.

Let us know how things are going and don't be a stranger.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#14807 01-15-2004 04:59 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear JJ
Am so glad you found us. I have received so much help from this site. I feel for you and remember how I felt with the diagnosis. I really felt relieved to put a name to what I suspected altho I was terrified. That was July and after surgery I am here and happy and ready to chat anytime you like.
God bless you
Judy U

Judy U
Stage I SCC floor of mouth, left radical neck dissection 8/03
#14808 01-16-2004 06:06 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Welcome JJ......

Yep, we've all been able to keep our sense of humor MOST of the time around here. I gotta tell you, even in my worst condition while going through treatment I was able to laugh with the RAD techs, a few of the nurses and once in a great while my ENT, Dr. B. I also spent a fair amount of time in tears.....and that was OK, too. This is a journey you are on. One with lots of highs and lows and trust me when I say, you'll tap into emotions you didn't even know you had. At the end of this journey, when the healing is done and the energy is back, you'll look back and wonder how you did it.....and you'll realize that your life has changed and the change isn't all bad either. Many many many good things came from my cancer jouney. It wasn't always easy, but in the end, it was I who won the battle and I did it through both laughter and tears.....and with a lot of help from my family and friends.

This is a terrific message board. There is always someone here who has "been there, done that" and most likely they will be able to answer any question you may have.

Sincerely,
Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#14809 01-16-2004 04:37 PM

JJ, to echo others, you could not have come to a better place. I found the OCF about two days after I found the tumor, and people from here held my hand every single step of the way. My surgery/rad/chemo (aka sharp knives, death rays, and poison) experience would have been much different without the answers to my questions I got from real people here. Caring people, I might add. If your children are upset, send them here. We can answer their questions too. I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but do not let yourself or your family get caught up in the statistics that appear here and there about oral cancer. If you want a detailed explanation of why they are not relevant, e-mail me, but know that the only statistic that counts is you. And with your good attitude, you are going to do fine, I can just tell. Let us accompany you on this adventure upon which you are about to embark. When you get tired, we can paddle for you.
Joanna, 2 years past stage IV, feeling like a million bucks and wishing she had it.

#14810 01-18-2004 04:49 PM
jj Offline OP
OP Offline

AH! You people are great! Just reading all the uplifting replies has really made me feel so much better! I admit I got tears (but happy ones, because I did not feel so alone) and some smiles from your posts.

Well, I have no news yet, because I do not go to this doc (ortholarynsomething???) until Tuesday. Nervous? Well, yes..but mostly I just want to get on with it, whatever it is, jump in there and get on with it. I will be back with questions once I have this appointment...and you all? THANKS.

Squamous Cell Carcinoma, floor of mouth. T2 N0 M0. Diagnosed January 2004. Partial glossectomy, right neck dissection, removal of floor of mouth, gum, bottom teeth, flap from forearm, skin grafts.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics