Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi All,

My father finished chemo/radiation for his stage III oral cancer in August of 2010. He still can't eat solid food, or even most liquids-- just pudding and tube-feeding liquid-- because his mouth and tongue burn upon contact with food. I think there's a lot of scar tissue in there.

I don't think he's getting much help from his physicians on how to be able to eat again. Has anyone had experience with a scarred tongue/mouth after chemo? How did you overcome it? How did you treat the inflammation? We're pretty desperate for help, so please respond if you have any thoughts.

Be well,
Molly

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Molly, welcome to OCF! Im sorry your father still has problems so far past finishing his treatments. Eating is one area where the doctors usually drop the ball with their patients care. I think your father would greatly benefit from seeing a dietitian or even a speech pathologist. He should have a swallowing study done to make sure he is physically able to swallow without aspirating.

With your dad being 1 1/2 years post rads, I do not think there should be swelling. After major surgeries it will take the body a full year to recover as far as any inflammation goes. I think his mouth is just overly sensitive to everything after undergoing the brutal chemo and radiation treatments. Personally, I would think its the radiation that got him more than the chemo.

Eating takes lots of practice. I made up a list of easy to eat foods. Its probably easier for your father to eat cream based products. Try peach or banana yogurt. Those are the easiest ones to eat. Look for smooth and creamy brands. If you have a Giant/Eagle grocery chain in your area, I would suggest trying to get him to eat Giant Blended peach yogurt. I have tried many kinds and this one works best for me. Try some cream soups like cream of potato, celery or cauliflower. It can take 2 full years for a recovery from what your father has been thru. I know it seems like he should be doing better but sometimes recovery is a very long road.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Last edited by ChristineB; 04-04-2012 07:04 AM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Molly,
I still have a lot of issues with eating and I am nearly 3 years out of treatment. I do a lot of yogurt and soft things. The radiation is really what caused the problems. Spicy food really still irritates my mouth, but I have also found creamy soups work really well. I use my blender quite a bit. My cancer center had me meet with their nutritionist, who gave me some good ideas, but that was while I was still having treatments. Maybe your center could reccomend someone for him to see. Good luck!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
OP Offline

Thank you SO much for getting back to me so quickly. I'll pass this advice along to my dad. Much gratitude smile

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi, Molly -
you noted "because his mouth and tongue burn upon contact with food."

Please have the doctors see if part of the problem may be Candidiasis (thrush). My husband still has issues with this 1 year post treatment, and will get another batch of anti-fungal lozenges tomorrow. The fungus makes his mouth more sore/burny. Good luck to you and your dad.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics