Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14511 08-20-2003 02:58 PM
DJS Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband was diagnosed in Dec. 2001 with stage IV cancer base of tongue. After six months of treatment (2 rounds of chemo/maximum rad both sides of neck/neck dissection)he is doing pretty well and is cancer free currently. He was not a smoker, but drank heavily (beer). He has recently started drinking beer again and a little too often I think. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm scared and upset. We made it through so much and I'm afraid he's contributing to a reoccurrence. Thanks for any help or insight you can give. I have found enormous help and strength from reading here. Thank you all and God bless.

#14512 08-20-2003 03:46 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Alcohol, in large quantities is a risk factor for oral cancer. But all things are relative. You haven't mentioned how many years he drank or how many drinks per day. What would appear to be excess, is perhaps not medically excess. So I guess what I am saying is that from your post it is hard to tell if it was a contributing factor to the first occurrence of OC. Non smokers also get oral cancer from viruses and other sources. An occasional drink after this process is usually not forbidden by most doctors, though most patients cannot tolerate the burn that goes along with it, or if they have xerostomia, the exacerbation of the already dry oral tissues by alcohol. If it concerns you, I suggest that you speak with the doctor about what he considers allowable. That conversation may belay your fears, or prompt a doctor patient conversation if necessary.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#14513 08-21-2003 10:52 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

In the interview with my doctor, he asked how much I drink. I responded (honestly!) that I drink foo foo drinks on our cruises, that's it. His response? "Then you won't miss it, will you?" Honestly, why would I take the chance? My pina coladas and miami vices will do the same thing without alcohol...cool and refresh me with an umbrella and fruit in it!

Sincerely,
Lisa

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
#14514 08-21-2003 12:54 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Lisa, I'm with you. Why take the chance? I had one beer and one glass of wine to prove I could (and enjoy for the last time) and have not been even slightly tempted since. I can happily serve it to guests in my home, but miss it not at all. I just look on it as if I have had my lifetime allotment. Realistically, there is so little we can do to guard against a reoccurrence, that it pleases me when I CAN do something.

#14515 08-25-2003 06:55 AM
DJS Offline OP
OP Offline

I guess I should have been more specific. My husband has been drinking beer for 40 years and in the past 10 years probably 6 a night and lots more (12 or better) each day of the weekend. As you can imagine, that has taken it's toll on this marriage. He does say it burns and it definitely drys him out even more. Does anyone know someone like this who has had a reoccurance? Well it has to be his choice I guess.

#14516 08-25-2003 07:03 AM

I am not a doctor but that much beer seems excessive. After going through a neck disection and soon to be followed up by radaition I will do everything and anything to avoid a reoccurence. Have your husband confer with his doctor. Good Luck, Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#14517 08-25-2003 07:30 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I used to drink beer heavily(3-5per day) with occaisional added Hard Liquor on weekends until I was diagnosed. I also smoked heavily until 1987. I am not sure exactly what caused my cancer, but I was sure in the risk category for SCC. Anyway it is almost one year since I finished treatment and everything is still OK. I decided that 3 beers with dinner on Fridays& Saturdays would probably be ok and my Dr. agrees. He also warns against anything but "moderation". We all have to decide how to change our life styles and perhaps my decision is wrong, but I feel ok with it. If I were to start drinking heavily again or turn the three to six or more...then I know I could have a real problem....just my thoughts

#14518 08-25-2003 07:48 AM

I'm not a doctor either but I AM an alcoholic. I would suggest for to him to go to Alcoholics Anonymous (and quick) or have a (recovering) alcoholic, you know, talk to him one on one!
You can't make him go - he has to WANT it and be "willing to go to any lengths to get it". You cannot demand that he get into recovery. You CAN set appropriate boundaries to take care of your own needs. He is responsible for his own recovery - not you.

And if he IS an alcoholic, one drink is too many and a 100 is not enough. "...seems excessive..", he may not call himself an alcoholic but, from what you describe, he drinks alcoholicly.

The cancer is definitely what we call "a convincer" in the program. If he's ignoring it then then will be worse lessons to learn further down the road -guaranteed.

The paradox of recovery from alcoholism is that one has to admit they are powerless to be empowered to quit. Alcoholism is a disease and denial is a major component. Some can't admit that "their lives have become unmanageable".

The "normal" people out there will NEVER understand this. They drink to get a little tipsy, not for the effect or self medication. Remember also that alcoholism is but a symptom of the disease. That's why it takes a lifetime committment to the program.

I was a "beeraholic" myself. Email me privately and I give you my phone number if he wishes to speak directly with another alcoholic/cancer survivor about it.

I would also suggest that you immediately get some help for yourself. Years of co-dependency, rescuing and enabling will take a strong toll on you also. Look in your phone book for Al-Anon (for you) and AA for him. You both need help.

This isn't going to go away.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#14519 08-25-2003 10:05 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi, as a nurse, who`s spent a good bit of nursing career in the drug and alcohol rehab field, I have to agree that it sounds like beeraholic to me too. Lots of people don`t think they are alcoholic because they just drink beer......a six pack a night sounds like a problem to me, and as Gary said, lots of times it`s a sympton of underlying problems. Oral cancer should be a wake up call, but, he may be self medicating to quell his fears.........Hope you can get some help......Dee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23