Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BethMcd Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband is HOOKED on the suction machine. He has been using it to suction out the mucous, that he was gagging on so often causing vomiting. Now though, he uses it for even his saliva, and I am wondering if the lack of saliva is causing his stomach problems. We are almost 2 wks post treatment, and he is miserable with stomach issues. He is still throwing up, he has a PEG, but not taking in more than a few cans of "food" each day and it just makes him feel terrible. Waves if nausea, but mostly his food isn't processing? He feels full, not interested in food, etc. I give him a few cans and he just feels uncomfortable and won't want anything much more through the day. He takes walks to try and jumpstart his digestion, but it just makes him feel yucky. A few days ago, he threw up for 3 days, a few times a day. He is loosing LOTS of weight, nearly 40 lbs. Yesterday was a very low day emotionally. He is not in much pain at all so I am not sure why he isn't swallowing much. His stomach hurts so I think he is just trying to avoid putting anything in. Has anyone had the experience of saliva causing such stomach issues? I am trying to convince him to swallow, but that's not so easy. He is taking in a few glasses of water a day, about 16 oz. but we are still doing hydration at the hospital to avoid dehydration.

The suction machine is great, but I think we may be overusing it. Thoughts? Help, he is wasting away physically and emotionally. This is so hard. We expected the few weeks after treatment to be hard with pain, but not still loosing weight,vomiting and not eating. He feels like he will never improve. Suggestions?

Beth
Caregiver to Tracey, age 40
DIAG: 8/11 SCC Stage III Rt oral tongue T1N1, poorly diff with neural invasion, 1+ node (2mm)
Non tobacco user
SURG: 8/11 partial glossectomy and neck dissection
TRTMT Planned: Radiation 30 IMRT 7 weeks Cisplatin
Accomplished to-date: 8 rad, 2 Chemo (9/26/11)

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Likely the chemo. It causes nausea, it's also very hard on the kidneys he should be taking in lots of fluids, constipation could be another reason. Also this early in the game he should try to eat to maintain swallowing. There is also the possibility that the issue is related to the formula - I couldnt tolerate any of them... I was by mouth the whole time. frown good in a way.

Try slowing it to a ver very slow drip rate and running the feeds at night maybe? Good luck. And do bring it to the attention of the dr. And or dietician.. Take care!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

It seems very unlikely to me that overuse of the suction machine is causing your husband's stomach problems. Lack of saliva causes many many problems, but as far as I know, not stomach issues or vomiting. Almost every OCF patient has struggled with lack of saliva and the resultant Xerostomia (medspeak for dry mouth). It's "normal". Actually, too much saliva can cause stomach problems, including reflux. but not too little. The canned nutrition is formulated to be digested in the stomach and does not need any saliva predigestion.
I used my suction machine all during the day and got up several times during the night to use it. Actually it helped prevent vomiting since when the mucous would get stuck in my throat, it would trigger a gag reflex.
You do have a serious problem with his lack of nutrition.
Here is a recent thread on someone's similar (not exactly the same, but we are all different) problem. Unable to keep food down thread
One other possibility would be that he needs a pump to slow down his feed. Christine B is our resident expert from personal experience on those issues.
I'm sorry I don't have the solution but I did want to reassure you that it's not the suction machine. He needs it. You have more than enough to worry about as it is, plus focusing on the suction machine will keep you both from finding out what is the real problem and fixing it.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 11-06-2011 08:20 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

At almost 2 weeks post treatment, your husband still is going thru a very rough time. Just because he finished treatments does not mean the radiation has stopped working on him. It continues for weeks making him feel horrible.

A suction machine is a very useful tool. Im sure that he has problems swallowing like we all went thru after radiation. Thats why he is using the machine to suction out the excess saliva.

Right now focus on nutrition and hydration. Shoot for 2500 calories daily with high protein and 48 oz water, more is even better. Soon your husband will begin to feel a little better. Best wishes with his continues recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Member (100+ posts)

It sounds like a gastric motility agent such as Metaclopromide might help with the nausea. My husband found this helpful when he had a feeling of fullness in his stomach and resultant nausea. It increases the speed of emptying of the stomach sometimes caused by other medications especially narcotic pain medication.

Caregiver to husband Dx. Stage 4 SCC of gingiva with 3 nodes pos. Partial mandiblectomy with bone graft from iliac crest Dec. 2006. IMRT x30, Cisplatin x3. Completed Tx. March 15, 2007. Osteonecrosis & removal of graft & plate Oct. 2007. Recurrence of SCC Dec. 2007. Deceased Jan. 17, 2008.

The month after treatments ended for me was horrible. By far the worst time out of the whole experience. The two things to remember are hydration and nutrition. Getting behind on those two things can make you feel really horrible. These folks have given you the advice you need though. All I can say is that it does get better.

Dx: 3/11 Stage III glottic laryngeal SCC HPV 16+ Tx Start: 7/18/11 chemoradiation 7wks - Tomotherapy IMRT x 34 / Cisplatin x 7 Tx End:9/1/11]-[as of 1/20/12 - ALL CLEAR!]

klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Beth
So sorry to hear your husband is struggling. The description of what he is struggling with sounds almost identical to my Alex. However, my Alex did not have a suction machine so it was not due to any suction.

He was bullied by the oncologists who told him to "try harder". If this happens to you, ignore them, they don't realise it is not a question of will. Like Tracey, my Alex complained of feeling bloated after literally 3 mouthfuls of food and the 4th would cause him to throw up. This of course, was to be avoided at all costs because it meant the struggle for the first 3 mouthfuls was for naught. Mornings were worst.

Wallyswife has suggested metaclopromide which Alex takes. Alex takes it 30 minutes before he "eats" (Alex is still on almost total liquid diet of EnsurePlus)which helps with both nausea and the bloated feeling. Usual dose of metoclopromide 4 times a day (30 minutes before eating and then before bed) but Alex takes only when he thinks he will get nauseaous which is usually in the mornings. He also takes Somac (pantprazole) before bed to stop the gastric reflux. The plan is to stop the metoclopromide one day (goodness knows when) and keep going with the Somac for the rest of his life.

We don't know what causes it and the oncologists have been mute in their opinions other than to suggest it sometimes happens and will go away in time(thanks guys - very helpful).

Alex also complained of no appetite and bad or wrong taste which also put him off. After 6 months of this, his GP tried a baby dose of an anti-depressant to assist with appetite. This worked quite well too.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
BethMcd Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much for the feedback. I read them all aloud to him, and it gave him some peace. So my next step with the nurse tomorrow is Reglan and Ativan! We were not expecting the nausea and vomiting to last so long after treatment. We were expecting more pain, but not nausea and stomach upset. How does anybody not loose so much weight? If we drip one can into his PEG, he finds that he is so full it is almost coming back up his esophagus.
Thanks again you allowed us to rest a little easier tonight.
Beth

Beth
Caregiver to Tracey, age 40
DIAG: 8/11 SCC Stage III Rt oral tongue T1N1, poorly diff with neural invasion, 1+ node (2mm)
Non tobacco user
SURG: 8/11 partial glossectomy and neck dissection
TRTMT Planned: Radiation 30 IMRT 7 weeks Cisplatin
Accomplished to-date: 8 rad, 2 Chemo (9/26/11)

Careful with the Reglan. I had tremors and it caused me to pace. It was horrible! Read all the side effects and make sure you understand what to watch for with that medication. I did much better with zofran. I still use zofran occasionally for nausea.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My husband was on both Zofran and Compazine for a month after he was finished treatments. The mucus and nausea gagged him so much he couldn't talk or eat without throwing up. It will get better. Hang in there and be patient.

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users