Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#14224 05-21-2003 09:26 AM
Gwenny Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi again,
Joanna,Gary and DonnaJean, Thank you for all of the helpful advice. I tried to explain to Jimmy that the Ativan is for anxiety but not being a pill taker he didn't want to take it. After a particularly anxious night last night I got him to take one. I really think it helped him. He is taking Roxycodone 5mg liquid and 2 75 mg Fentanyl patches which stay on for three days. He has been doing okay getting his pain under control for the past few days but the little things seem to set him off. I can understand this perfectly what with all the drugs. I can't help but feel sorry for my sister who is doing all she can to help him. Last night I stayed to help him so she could go and sit outside and chill. The caretakers really do need a break don't they? My sister is a wonderful person and Jimmy is so lucky to have her, and so am I.
Gary, the burns on Jimmy's neck seem to be doing well with the cream the doctor gave him. Blisters have only formed in his mouth and on his lips. Only 2 more days of double doses of rad and then we'll see. I'll be going upstairs now to read these messages to Jimmy. I know how much they will help him. I am praying for you all and wish you the very best. Thanks again for all the help. God bless you and watch over you all. Gwenny

#14225 05-21-2003 02:53 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Gwenny, I'm so glad to hear that the pain Jimmy was experiencing seems to be more under control. Considering all that he's going through - I'm not surprised about "little things" that seem to set him off. My husband Johnny had quite a problem with mouth sores/blisters for the longest time - even after radiation ended, and that was more than enough to keep him in a cranky mood pretty much most of the time - in spite of the painkillers! I know it'll be a relief once the treatments are done - but the side-effects can last quite awhile. I'm glad to hear the neck burns are healing well for Jimmy - it's amazing how quickly the skin can repair itself after being assaulted like that! Anyways - I just wanted to say that I'm glad that he's feeling better for the most part - and I'm keeping him in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Take care.
P.S. Yes, I do agree - we caregivers can use a break sometimes, and it's important to take care of yourself and do something to keep your spirits lifted. (I prefer shopping!). Right now - I'm not much in the mood to do even that, since I'm battling a cold (didn't take my Vitamin C!) and am doing my best to avoid Johnny from catching it. (someone please pass the Puffs tissue!)

DonnaJean
#14226 05-22-2003 09:14 AM
Gwenny Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi DonnaJean, Thanks for caring!! It's so great to be able to get the help we need from people who know what they are talking about. I hope your husband is doing well and I will keep him in my prayers. Take care of that cold and thanks again for your kind words and thoughts. God bless you and watch over you. Gwenny

#14227 05-22-2003 05:20 PM

Just another little note Gwenny, tell your sister that as a caretaker myself, I understand what you are both going through...and I commend her on her strength and spirit. Three cheers to both of you....and let Jimmy know that we are here to help him in his journey to healing. The treatments are a bear to go through, but as mentioned before...let him know that things WILL get better!! God bless and take care.

DonnaJean
#14228 05-23-2003 12:41 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Gwenny
Just a little note for your sister. The pain pills and patch especially for those no pill guys make people very weird at times You wouldn't believe what my husband said to me and many nuses thru this process. Even being a nurse myself didn't help my tolerence. It really got to me.
Tell your sister to walk away is ok I walked out of the hospital one day when I had had enough. His Dr told him off for the way he talked to me and for some reason he got the message. Even though I knew the cause the words just stung too much. It's ok to do something to help yourself while you help him. I wish you all the best and Gwenny your sister is lucky to have you. I had noone and pat yourself on the back for being such a great sister.
Diane

#14229 05-23-2003 05:04 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Gwenny, I have been silently following your story here and I just want to say how fortunate Jimmy is to have TWO people to help out; you and your sister. Make sure you two get the time you need for yourselves too. This whole thing is hard on everybody.

I also want to add to what Gary said for Jimmy to have distractions and to keep him doing things. I found that I felt better if I could get out and walk (sometimes very slowly) or even go for a car ride wherever. There dosen't have to be a destination just to be out and about, to see other things going on besides all the medical stuff. It pulls the mind into other places besides pain and worry.

Take care smile

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#14230 05-23-2003 09:43 AM
Gwenny Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all!!! This is just the advice I know my sister needs. Now that Jimmy's rad is over. he is taking a little downward swing. Nasty side effects getting worse. I have to say that every time he gets cranky, he always apologizes later. Cindy (my sister) has been so good. She's doing a great job. I think getting Jimmy out once in a while is a great idea. Hopefully the weather here will be condusive to that soon. We did find out yesterday that Jimmy's tumor is almost gone.(YAY!!) Now if we can just get by the tough stuff. Maybe all will be well soon. Thank you all again. You remain in my prayers. God bles and watch over you all. Gwenny

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics