Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14214 05-15-2003 11:50 AM
Gwenny Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Everyone, First I would like to say how you have all helped me research this disease that I had never heard of. All of your messages helped my family deal a little better with what we faced. My sisters husband who I have loved like a brother for 31 years was diagnosed with Stage4 scc about 7 weeks ago. Six years ago my husband and I and my sisters family bought a 2 family house together and all has been grand ever since. To say the least his cancer has us all devistated. It always seems to happen to someone else. Anyway, Jimmy has had 4 single treatments of chemo over 4 weeks, single doses of radiation 5 days a week for 4 weeks and six days of double dose radiation and facing several more. No surgery due to the location of the tumor which started on a tonsil. He also had a feeding tube put in which I have to say he handled very well! Once the double doses started he really started to feel the burns on his skin and the sores in his mouth. This has been very hard on my sister, watching him go trough this and feeling so helpless. I have read so many of your messages over the last few weeks and I pray for all of you. One of the good things that came from this site is the tee shirts for sale. Jimmy has always said "It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog" Imagine my surprise when I saw the tee shirts. I bought one each for several people including Jimmy. He really loved it. Please forgive my rambling but there is so much to say and I just thought it would be good to share with people who know how we feel. Any advise on how to keep the spirits of a cancer patient up would be greatly appreciated. None of us here can say we know how Jimmy feels because we don't although I know some of you do. You are truly a wonderful group of people. Well thanks so much for your attention and I will check back soon. God Bless and watch over you all.

#14215 05-15-2003 12:31 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Gwenny,
It sounds like Jimmy is starting off in good shape in that he has you and so much supportive family, not only nearby, but living in the same home. It also sounds like both you and Jimmy have a great attitude from the start. Most of us here, including myself, got a feeding tube during radiation and in my case, it has been the least of my worries. In fact I still have mine and work and play golf with it under my clothes with no problem.
What I think that you will find is that Jimmy will have good and bad days. In the case of a lot of us here, it got worse once radiation ended. But, little by little, he will start feeling better. As he goes along and you have any concerns or questions, post them here because so many of us have experienced the same problems and can help you. When I was in need I found a lot more comfort on this forum than I did from any of my doctors or nurses.
Welcome aboard and we will all be pulling for Jimmy and you.

Take care,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#14216 05-15-2003 01:33 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Welcome to the board. My husband, like your brother in law had stage 4 ssc that started in his tonsil. He only had the initial surgery that found the cancer and then 6 weeks of radiation. He did have a PEG tube, we tried to make it through without and not getting it sooner is the only regret we have. The worst part for him was the last week of radiation and for about two months post. Slowly but surely things did start to get better, so tell your brother in law that things may get really rough, but he will get through and there will be brighter days ahead. My husband was diagnosed 5-00 and finished treatment 7-21-00, so it has been three years and so far he is doing great. He is back to his normal weight and can eat just about anything, his taste has come back almost completely, and although he has some dry mouth, not too bad, thanks to the amifostine. This board has been a wonderful place for us to come for support and knowledge. I usually just lurk now, but wanted to tell you for all of you to hang in there. I always tried to think of what we were going through as a temporary situation to a lifetime of cure. Day by day!
God bless all of you!
Julie

Julie
Wife to Kelly
SSC tonsil Stage IV
July 2000
#14217 05-15-2003 03:45 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome, Gwenny. What Julie said is exactly correct and the operative word is "temporary." Treatment can be pretty miserable, but the misery ends. Treatment time really is a very small block out of a lifetime, and stepping back to look at the big picture can help. This is something that needs to be done now, but do not stop planning for after. In my case, even when I was sick, I kept telling myself it was just a temporary situation -- and it was. Friends and family were so positive and kept making plans for what we would do when I was back to being me, that I didn't have a chance to look at it as more than just a necessary inconvenience. This is not to trivialize what your brother-in-law is experiencing, just to remind you to look to the future. I did the surgery/rad/chemo dance and by the time I was 8 weeks out from treatment, I was singing and dancing for real. In summary, I believe it is important for you to focus on the near future as much as the present to keep everyone's spirits up. Good luck to you all!
Joanna

#14218 05-17-2003 12:02 AM
Gwenny Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much Danny, Julie and Joanna, I'm sorry it took a while to reply but the night I posted my first message, Jimmy had to go to the hospital as he had a slight fever. Docs said it was from the chemo. He's becoming increasingly short tempered now that he is in such pain. He's not a very patient guy and never took a pill for anything in his life. The doc gave him ativan but he won't take it, says it makes him feel worse. I am trying to get him on this board so he will have kindred spirits to talk to. Maybe soon. I read the replys I got to him and he was very touched. Just knowing that this is all temporary is good for him to know. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I know they went a long way. God bless and watch over you, Gwenny

#14219 05-17-2003 12:36 PM

Gwenny, he should not be having pain, especially enough that it makes him short tempered. There is no reason whatsoever for him to tough it out. This is one occasion when taking drugs is okay, and believe me, there are some mighty fine drugs out there! I can count on the fingers of one hand the pills I took before I had radiation and chemo. I do not like to take medicine. However, there came a time when the pain was interfering with everything, and I cried uncle. Should have done it much sooner. Being macho (or whatever female equivalent is) is not appropriate here! You tell him to get some of those good drugs and his outlook will improve 100%.
Joanna

#14220 05-17-2003 09:21 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Gwenny and welcome to the group. I had the same deal almost - SCC, Stage III, right tonsil, no mets, no surgery, just IMRT radiation (33x) and 2 Cisplatin treatments. One of basic patient rights is effective pain management. I studied what worked and requested the drugs from my oncologist before I even needed them. I have Vicodin, 15mg Morphine Sulphate tablets and 50 mg Duragesic (worked up from 25mg), and they're handling it pretty well. Oxycontin is also very effective I am told.
I kept all my teeth and colateral radiation was reflecting off my gold crowns and causing tongue and other mouth burns. I put cotton rolls between my tongue and teeth and between the teeth and inside of my cheeks (by the molars) during treatment and it seemed to make a real difference. Although by the end of treatment everything was pretty baked. I had a really painful sore on the side of my tongue but it's all healed up now. It took about 6 weeks after the end of treatment to really notice an improvement.
To keep spirits up - stay distracted. Stay connected and don't isolate. Talk to others, share with others, read, watch TV, read the bible. Think about life after treatment and the wonderful new opportunity that awaits you -The second chance. Like Bonnie Raitt said in one of her tunes "life becomes more precious the less of it there is to waste"

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#14221 05-17-2003 09:24 PM

PS.
Ativan is an anti anxiety med that is also prescribed for nausea. It can be taken orally, sublinglally (under the tongue) or rectally.
It will not relieve pain.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#14222 05-18-2003 08:32 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Gwenny, I'm so sorry to hear of Jimmy's pain and discomfort that he has been having lately, but as Joanna mentioned - there is no need for him to suffer through it like that. My husband who was diagnosed with stage III/IV scc at the base of the tongue - has been and still takes Oxycontin (40mg) for pain, along with Valium for anxiety and Acetaminophen (Tylenol #4) w/codeine (60 mg) also for pain as needed, along with a whole host of other meds for various other ailments. And yes - what Jimmy is going through with the radiation, along with the burned neck and mouth sores - are very common and to be expected - but also keep in mind that it is temporary, as folks have mentioned. Things will get better - in time, and since everyone heals at a different rate, patience is defintely needed! I can tell you that when my husband was going through his radiation - his neck was red, raw and blistering....and if it wasn't for the cream that I was applying (gently!) to his neck - he would have lost it! My husband who was in the Marine corp. during Vietnam - always was a "tough guy" when it came to showing emotions - but I seen him on the verge of tears when he was going through the radiation and it's after-effects. So please tell Jimmy to be strong - to hang in there - and not to be afraid to ask for some pain killers that will work for him, since there is no need for him to suffer like that.

DonnaJean
#14223 05-18-2003 09:47 AM

Hi Gwenny,
The skin on my neck took on the persona of a regular sunburn and it started out redish and just peeled after treatment was over. It wasn't oozing or anything like that. They gave me Desonide cream, 0.05%, to apply topically for the itching (you DON'T want to scratch it!) and that worked really well. It was the least of my troubles, only needed the cream for a week and the skin was the first thing to heal. Make sure there is NOTHING on the skin while getting treatment. Lotions can cause a "bolus" effect and actually enhance the radiation damage to the skin.

Gary Allsebrook
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics