RAZ
SCC base of tongue w/ nodes on right side
#14179 04-30-2003 10:47 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Raz and welcome,

I always feel strange welcoming someone to this site, because all of us wish we didn't have the experiences to be here. But we are in such good company that it is much more bearable.

I didn't find this site until after I completed treatment. And it can be scary at first, there is so much information. But, then you get to the message boards and realize all these people on here helping other people are helping prove statistics wrong.

It is a wonderful group of people - never tired of responding to other peoples fears, good news, and questions.

I'm sure your help and input will be a very good addition. After all "You're from Texas" Yeah!!! We have a couple of people on here from Texas, Danny pop in here any time.

Take care,
Dinah

#14180 04-30-2003 03:43 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Raz, welcome to OCF, and a really great bunch of people here on the boards who will no doubt lift your spirits when they are down, listen to you rant when you have to, and offer advice as the various bumps in the road occur, which they will as you transition from patient to survivor. I am always curious as to how people find us, and if you are inclined to, please let me know who refferred you, I

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#14181 04-30-2003 04:29 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi RAZ,

Glad you are on the mend as they say. You and your family have been through plenty in the last months. I imagine having them with you has been a wonderful help and inspiration (I have 3 boys and wonderful wife of 20 years myself)

I hope you find the time to post more as you progress.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#14182 04-30-2003 05:53 PM

Hi Raz,
and welcome to the site. I know exactly what you mean about the site - I didn't come back for a few weeks either! I guess some things are better left a mystery. But I soon learned that I needed the wisdom and guidance of many here who helped me through the process. One trick I learned is that you don't have to go the the ER for fluids - make an appointment with infusion and it's only a 1 hr. visit (vs 5 in the ER). It dounds like you're doing pretty well though -keep us posted.

Gary

----------
SCC, Stage III, Right Tonsil

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#14183 05-18-2003 10:16 AM

Randy,
congratulations on finishing treatment! Much more patience than ever is required right now. I am not brave enough to try Mexican food yet! And some spicy things can be overwhelming. I think that is more because of being on a liquid, salt free diet for so long than taste bud related. I have been eating a lot of frozen microwave dinner entrees like pot roast, beef stew, beef stronganov and some chicken dishes but I have found chicken to be dry and abrasive in general. A nice rare Filet Mignon is my favorite - it goes down easy. The acidity in fruit juices is something I still can't tolerate and abrasive foods cause a litle pain also. Pastas are the best -they slide right down - you don't even need water - but watch out for tomato sauce - stick with cream sauces instead. I had IMRT type radiation and maybe it made a difference but the nurses told me 2 months and your taste buds will start coming back. One thing I can't taste yet is Cherrios -they taste like wallpaper paste. And also, natural foods are mainly ok taste wise. Processed foods can taste a little funny sometimes.

I have no saliva yet. But it is supposed to eventually recover because of the IMRT. I am told that will take 6 months

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#14184 05-19-2003 11:47 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

RAZ,
Welcome from another Houstonian and MDACC grad. Please feel free to write me at my email address, [email protected] if you want to discuss anything about your treatment. Not that I am an expert, but my tumor was also base of tongue with neck nodes and my treatment and yours sound pretty similar.I have been dealing with M.D. Anderson for alomst a year now.
Actually you sound like you are doing quite well for being done a short time. It took me quite a while before I could eat anything, and , once I began swallowing more than liquids, we eventually discovered that my esophagus was blocked too. I had a lot of problems with the constant mucous. I did not go anywhere without a box of kleenex and at home kept a suction machine beside me day and night. Funny thing is, after a while, the mucous dries us and then the problem becomes the dry mouth.
Once again welcome to the board. Although I am not happy that you have cancer, I am happy to meet another Houstonian on the board. I look forward to hearing more on your progress.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23