Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141278 10-08-2011 09:04 AM
OP Offline

My baby sister, age 55, was just diagnosed with Stage 4 (golf ball sized) tongue cancer with lymph node involvement on both sides - 5 nodes on right and 1 on left. She had been having significant symptoms since January of this year - 10 months! She had even been scoped and no one found it. We are still in shock and are trying to just get through these early days of tests, feeding tube implant, etc. I think we are even more upset since we recently lost our mother to cancer and this same sister finished a medical trial of 72 weeks for Hepatitis C just over a year ago. Thank God she is completely clear of Hepatitis. But, now, she/we are facing THIS. I feel so sorry for her. She is being very positive. One sister was asking why God would allow this to happen to her after everything else. My sick sister immediately spoke up and said - "God did not do this to me, I did it to myself" - years of smoking and drinking. She also added that the hepatitis was her own fault - years of sharing drug needles. Thankfully, that part of her life is long behind her but now the effects of those years are apparently catching up with her and it's heartbreaking. She lost her husband two years ago; also to hepatitis. So, unlike most newly diagnosed patients - she and we know all too well what to expect. But, knowing does not make it easier to cope - it actually makes it more difficult. Sometimes the unknown can be better than knowing what lies ahead. I don't want to sound so negative, we have every hope that she will come through this. Even with her diagnosis, her doctor believes that she can survive both the treatment and the cancer. As her support system, we are overwhelmed by her needing to receive treatment every day for 7 weeks. Our main focus, of course, is our sister and her emotional and physical well-being. She's still in the early stage of trying to accept the cancer and deal with these early steps of setting up radiation and chemo. Being at Mayo Clinic, we feel she will receive the best possible care (and she's in God's Hands) I know we'll all get through this but having support will be the key. Thank you!!

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Waycross,

Having her at the Mayo Clinic is a great move. She is getting some of the best care possible in the country. Our prayers and best wishes are with you, your family and your sister.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Yep, Mayo is a great move. After choosing the medical team the only other thing your sister can control is her attitude and nutrition. Everything else is in the hands of how her body responds to treatment.

I would recommend these support forums for your sister or her caregivers as the experience of those that share on these forums is invaluable. Knowledge is power and the only thing we have when it comes to getting through this experience. Strength in numbers.

The survivors on these forums are a testament to the fact that cancer, even late stage metastisized cancer isn't necessarily a death sentence.

Good luck

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF! There is much info and support not just here on the forum but also on the main pages as well. A well informed patient and caregiver are benefits as they are then able to use that knowledge and be their own advocates. Oral cancer is different than other cancers to get thru. There are many unique challenges oral cancer patients face. Some patients with Stage I will struggle and some with Stage IV will sail right thru. Having a positive attitude helps the patient to feel better about the situation.

If transportation is a problem, try calling the American Cancer Society and ask for help with taking your sister to her treatments. Even if they can find a driver to take her once a week, that would be helpful. If there are friends or other relatives who offer to help, maybe they would take a day to drive. This will help make it less of a burden on your family.

Please encourage your sister to also join OCF so she is able to learn about her illness.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there welcome and good luck! You're sisyer's been through a lot and sounds like a strong woman - stage 1-4 is scary no matter what - as long as she maintains the strength of mind and body to fight it she will get through it with your loving support! Rads is daunting but doable! It sounds to me like she's not doing any surgical treatment. I guess that depends on staging and location. Tell her to eat as healthfully as possible, and take care!! Hugs! And sorry you have to be here!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23