Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#14113 06-08-2003 01:54 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Kathy, My husband finished his radiation at the end of November 2002, and to this day - he can't drink any alcohol...simply because it burns too much! The doctor never told him he couldn't drink - but when I gave him a small glass of beer - he couldn't drink it because it felt like fire. My husband never was a drinker - his beverage of choice is diet soda - but I know every now and then he would like to enjoy a beer with me or share some wine, but alas- for now, he can't. Hopefully in time this will pass and he can enjoy a good cold one every now and then!

DonnaJean
#14114 06-09-2003 09:00 AM
Weldon Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I had two beers with dinner a couple of weeks ago and they were great! I did have some stinging, but not any more so than the non-alcohol variety that I drink from time to time. It is very frustrating that the Dr's don't seem to really know anything for sure about drinking alcohol except that it is a cause/catalyst for SCC. I have been told that it is ok to drink moderately, but perhaps not until after my second year of treatment passes. I have also been told not to drink at all! I guess it is better to err on the side of caution until further notice. It is a blessing just to be alive, but it is also human to want to enjoy things that life has to offer. I hope that research will get more answers to this and more importantly find a cure for this cancer soon!

#14115 06-09-2003 04:38 PM

Will carbonated drinks do that as well after treatment is over? Or is it just alcohol? What other things will be way off or does it really depend on the person?

#14116 06-09-2003 07:23 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kathy, if you are asking if carbonated drinks are a causitive factor for oral cancer, the answer as far as I have read is a resounding NO. If, on the other hand, you are asking if they sting, yes, and for how long is an individual thing depending on how much radiation, whether there was also chemo, whether there was surgery, and just individual rates of healing and tolerance. And if I misunderstood your question entirely, please accept my apology.
Joanna

#14117 06-10-2003 02:11 PM

Hi Kathy, I agree with Joanna, as far as I know, there was no mention about carbonated beverages being a risk-factor for oral cancer, although one could get into a debate about the aspects of "artificial sweeteners" in diet beverages/foods that some say could lead to forms of cancer. I know topics such as this has caused much conversation in the past - and I don't want to rehash that if possible. Anyways - getting back to your question, carbonated beverages WILL sting for ahwile, at least I know it did for my husband while he was going through radiation and for a good 2 or 3 months afterwards. Now he is going on 7 months post-radiation, and MOST soda's don't bother him now -except for a few every now and then. It's also weird because sometimes he can tolerate certain spices and condiments like ketchup but other days - it still stings. It's a mystery to me. But like Joanna said, everyone heals at a different rate - so only time will tell. Good luck and sending best wishes and positive thoughts your way.

DonnaJean
#14118 06-10-2003 05:28 PM

I was referring to carbonated beverages after radiation with stinging referrence only - not causing cancer. Thanks for the info. My husband isn't wanting to read anything about all of this and he doesn't know what to expect in many ways. So, I am checking things out and I will at least have some idea as to what might be next etc...his attitude is, if he knows too much he might think it is happening to him (he has done that in the past). He is only 40 so he has a, "okay I have it, now let's have treatment and be done with it." That's great he has that attitude -but,he still has no idea what could possibly lay ahead. I am sure I will worry enough for the both of us, but I do try and let it go too.

Thanks for the info on alcohol and sodas. I might be asking a few more questions if I think of them.

Kathy

#14119 06-10-2003 05:35 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

The mystery is actually pretty simple. Once xerostomia takes hold and chronic dry mouth is a problem (particularly in the first 12 months after treatments), the tissues in the back of the mouth and throat become chronically dried out. These soft tissues develop microscopic cracks in them, not visible to the naked eye, that are the source of all the discomfort when spicy, acidic, or carbonated things come in contact with them. Depending on the degree of moisture remaining in our mouths these are a big problem, or a little one. It

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#14120 06-10-2003 06:23 PM

Brian, everything you say is correct, as you know from your own experience. This situation is somewhat different for people who receive IMRT, though. In my case, I can drink wine (although I have given up alcohol), eat salad dressings and enjoy citrus fruits. For all of which saying that I am extremely grateful doesn't begin to cover it!
Joanna

#14121 06-10-2003 06:24 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

"My name is Bob and have tongue cancer since 98.
Doctors want me to have implant radiation therapy. Do you have any insight or experience with this?I would appreciate any info. I have had 4 tumors and a partial glossectomy and flap plus right lymphodes removed. The thought of drinking beer is only superficial and leads to more pain and anxiety in the end. Somebody is benefitting from all this and it isnt me. Thanks and god bless"

I think we all missed the important question on this thread. I'm not familiar, so if someone else is, please reply.

Mandi
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
#14122 06-10-2003 06:30 PM

Mandi, when Bob originally posted, I asked another member of this forum who had implant therapy to reply to him and she did, so he had his questions answered. But you are very correct that this thread has meandered far from where it began.
Joanna

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users