Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#14103 04-20-2003 05:37 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Bob, All this talk of beer and BBQ has got me thinking summer! (not easy when there is ice on the big lake) By the way Guiness goes with anything! The old ads for guiness used to say "Guiness gives you strength" so it might be a candidate for O.C. official beverage. laugh

The floride treatment stuff I have is: Colgate Gel-Kam .4% Stannous Fluoride It is a gell that is applied with a tooth brush by dabbing (not brushing) then leaving on for 1 minute. I do this maybe once a month. It is a little harsh on gum tissues if you have very little saliva. I was able to get the product at a larger drug store. I believe there were other brands as well (I don't have their names)

I also have 3 month visits to the dentist for cleaning and checkup. (I think that we should all do this!) I really value the fact that I still have my teeth since chewing is difficult enough with low saliva and lowered tongue mobility.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#14104 04-21-2003 03:34 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Mark, thanks for the info. Will check some of the pharmacy shops here, and also ask the dentist.

Yep, the talk about barbque has me started too. I managed to get my grill shipped over when I moved, just need to get some decent sauce, and convince the butcher not to cut up the rack of pork ribs into little tiny pieces.

The wife's never tasted proper barbeque!

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#14105 04-21-2003 07:49 AM
Weldon Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

All,

I think I'm trying to do most things that used to make me feel "normal", and Beer/BBQ definitely fall into that category. I consume at least one or two non-alcoholic beers per/week the past couple of months. They do sting a little,(everything burned or stung just a couple of months ago) but have a great familiar taste! I probably will do the same with real beer again after more time passes. My wife thinks I'm crazy to do anything that could cause a remission right now...and who knows...maybe she's right. My Surgical Oncologist says OK with moderation, but Radiation Oncologist says no, at least not now. Anyway, I really feel like I'm in good company with all the BBQ fans out there! The search feature really is helpful on this site. I have found a number of similar shared expriences.

Thanks!!

#14106 04-21-2003 10:27 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Bob,
I suggest that you go to www.goodecompany.com, a website for one of our best local BBQ restaurants. You can order all kinds of sauces, rubs and other BBQ stuff online, and even order a real Texas pecan pie if you want!

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#14107 04-22-2003 03:30 AM

Danny, thanks, I had'nt thought about the internet mail order idea. If they ship to Hong Kong I'm in luck.

Wm32509, I just remembered something last night that might answer your qestion about the teeth darkening/staining. We never really did get that one answered, but did find good barbeque sauce!!

Seems I remember something either written or mentioned way back that fouride has a tendency to darken teeth. Like some people who had fouride treatments, or live in places with fouridated water had a tendency to have darker/stained theeth than folks who don't.

Now this may have been back in the days when some folks thought putting fouride in the municipal water supply was a communist plot to poison Americans, I was but a young pup then. But I do mentioned one of my dentists a long time ago saying something about it. Doesn't happen to everyone, but may happen to some.

Or maybe I should sleep at night and not think of these strange things at wee hours of the morning. \
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#14108 04-22-2003 03:46 AM

You are correct, Bob, both about the supposed communist plot (grin) and the darkening effect on some teeth. The "plot" thing surfaced again not too many years ago here, when the idea of fluoridation was presented to the voters. It was narrowly defeated, due in good measure to the same people who believed the great toilet paper shortage...
Joanna

#14109 04-22-2003 05:45 AM

Sorry I didn't mention that on the label for the Gel-Kam Floride treatment it mentions the possibility of staining. It also says that if it happens it can be removed by a dentist. I personally have not experienced staining. I would still have ANY changes in teeth checked out.
They are worth saving! laugh

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#14110 04-22-2003 09:31 AM
Weldon Offline OP
OP Offline

I just saw the Dentist and had my teeth polished. We can say the teeth are not as "stained", but still have a dark-purpleish tint. Anyway, he doesn't really know, but seems to think it could be from the Nystatin that I rinsed with for several weeks, at my Oncologists suggestion, to help my mouth heal better. I did use Prevident (similar to Gel-Cam) Flouride treatment only once just prior to noticing this effect, but that one use should not have caused the problem. I should use the Flouride Gel every night(and will from here on) to prevent cavities, as a lot of you know, but it has stung too much in the past and I have been too lazy lately to use it. I guess it all will remain a mystery for the time being. At least my teeth are all still there at this time!

Bob, I do appreciate your worrying. At least your gonna get some good BBQ Sauce out of this deal!

I do appreciate the help

#14111 06-07-2003 05:16 PM

I have a question. My husband was just diagnosed with scc of the tonsil, stage 2. He started radiation (7 weeks) last Thursday. Both Dr's, ENT and Radology Oncologist, have told us he shouldn't drink alcohol again. RO said it was okay 3 to 4 times a year, one glass, for a special occasion.

So, is alcohol okay or does it depend on the type of cancer or the Dr?

Thanks,Kathy
(sorry to not talk about teeth, but you all were talking about beer and it got me to thinking)

#14112 06-07-2003 07:18 PM

Hello again, Kathy. I am really not following you around (grin). About alcohol, my radiation oncologist said an occasional drink will not hurt. It was over 100 degrees today and for the first time in well more than a year I had an ice cold beer, I think just to prove I could. It tasted really, truly great, but I don't think I will do it again. If giving up that one thing will tip the balance for my long-term survival, I won't miss it. As there isn't a lot that I can do in that regard, I have decided that at least I can do this. I think the jury is out on whether or not even a little alcohol is harmful, which I guess means it is up to each patient. Not a lot of help, am I?
Joanna

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users