Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am new here. I had an inferior maxillectomy and neck dissection on 8/16/2010. I still have an interim obturator but will be getting a definite one soon. I have not met anyone that wears one but I have been reading the posts from other wearers.

It has been a long road and I am discouraged and frustrated ... but still hopeful. I don't handle disappointments well. I am looking for your experiences. Did you find your life better after the definitive obturator or is there no light at the end of this tunnel?

My mouth is irritated and sore, my speech is nasal, my bite is off, I have leakage, my nose runs a lot when I am eating. I find myself staying at home more so I can take the obturator out wearing it only to eat or talk.

Linda, 68
T4a NO MO SCC of the right maxillary tuberosity
Inferior Maxillectomy of the right hard palate & RND 8/16/2010
Interim Obturator
IMRT - 30 days, ended 11/04/2010
Definitive Obturator soon

"OCF across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi
I'm on my second obturator And find it uncomfortable since rt. I'm waiting for it all to settle down before my final one. I'm hoping it will be smaller and lighter than this one! It will be nice to get to a point where I forget I have it in if that ever happens! My surgery site is pretty big and my ob has one front tooth on it.
Sorry I'm not of much use but it's good to find people in the same boat
Jayne x

Scc nasal cavity /hard palate
Surgery removal of septum and roof of mouth 15/3/11 cl margins
Rt and cisplatin 6 weeks starting 24/5/11
Obturator

Age 45

Hi, Linda -

There IS light at the end of the tunnel! I am currently wearing my definitive obturator, and it's really working well -- speech is good, fit is nice and tight (not too tight, but just right). My nose does still run when I eat -- I think this may be inevitable -- but I'm satisfied overall. Have you gone back to your prosthodontist a lot for adjustments? He/she should be able to make changes to your obturator so that it fits properly. I hope you have better luck with your definitive one; this is a quality of life issue, and you deserve to live happily without having to worry about your obturator. Hang in there, and good luck.

Chrissy

Stage 2 SCC upper right palate
Hemi-palatectomy and maxillectomy 5/28/09
Six teeth gone
IMRT x30 starts July 13. Completed 8/26/09
Carboplatin and Taxol x6 starting 7/14/09. Completed 8/25/09.

I too have my definitive obturator, got it in Feb. of this year. It fits well enough to wear all day, speech is good for the most part. Yes, the most difficulty is with eating, nose runs, food gets above it and becomes annoying. It does just become part of the routine, learning how to eat, what to eat, how to hold your head when you drink, and being able to rinse your mouth and obturator immediately after eating. I agree with Chris, I would keep working with your Prothodontist until you get a better fit. I wish you the best, keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Sharon, 57; Hard Palate; T1, High Grade, DX 6-12-09, Surgery, maxillectomy 7-14-09, 33 RT (9-2-09 to 10-19-09); Prothesis (obturator). None smoker, non drinker.
OP Offline

Hi,

Thank you for your replies, comments, experiences, and best wishes. I am so happy to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I have been under the care of two different Prosthodontists. The first one in August 2010 and one beginning in April 2011. I switched because the first dental clinic had not received medicare approval. I had several adjustments at each clinic, my last one on 9/13/2011. I go back on October 3rd for some more fitting on the definitive obturator. I'm not sure how many more visits I will have. I will let you know how things go. Thanks again. Linda

Linda, 68
T4a NO MO SCC of the right maxillary tuberosity
Inferior Maxillectomy of the right hard palate & RND 8/16/2010
Interim Obturator
IMRT - 30 days, ended 11/04/2010
Definitive Obturator soon

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260