Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello,

I'm a freelance writer working on an article for a national women's magazine. I'm looking for women in their 20s, 30s or 40s who detected oral cancer early thanks to a regular dental visit. If you are interested in being interviewed, please email me at [email protected].

Thank you!
Dana

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I wanted to bring this message back to the front again by adding this post. I realize that many of us had our cancers missed by dentists, or had them not diagnose us or refer us out early in the process. But there are a couple of you who had early detections by dentists, which proved to be an important event by catching things early. How about posting to this writer who might give our cause some exposure!!

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Brian,

I sent an email direct to Magazine Writier via private email and have since recieved a reply. She will be contacting me for a telephone interview after final approval.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Brian,
like Anne, I contacted MagazineWriter directly, and am waiting to schedule a telephone interview.
I agree, that this is an excellent opportunity for raising awareness about oral cancer, and most importantly, the need for dentists to be more knowledgeable and active in detecting and treating it at its earliest stage. With the exception of only 2 people I know, nobody receives an cancer screening exam with routine dental visits.
From reading many stories on this site I am infuriated by the widespread ignorance in the dental community which results in unnecessary suffering. I addressed this with MagazineWriter, and hope that she will focus her article on this, since my early detection by my dentist may be based solely on the fact that he is a faculty member at School of Dentistry at UCSF.
Sigrid

Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma, Stage I, diagn. Sept. '02
DENTIST SAVED MY LIFE!
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Thank you both for following up. UCSF has Sol Silverman DDS, (one of OCF's board members) on staff and he is one of "THE" US authorities on the disease. Author of books and articles on oral cancer, he knows the subject and the issues. It comes as no surprise that people affiliated with UCSF are on top of things. He is part of the steering group to use 2 million in funds the ADA received from NCI to help create awareness of oral cancer. While I am not impressed with what the ADA has done in the last few decades, my hope is that with Dr. Silverman

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23