Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
David2 #137092 07-21-2011 08:43 PM
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hey guys, thankyou very much for all of your kind words.
I wanted to get on here yesterday to reply to you guys but I attended a Canteen (teens with cancer) fundraiser last night and I didn't bring my laptop. It was quite enjoyable. I was on stage anwsering questions. There's talk that i'll do a speech at the function next year, so perhaps there will be more oppurtunities to come to gain contacts and spread the word some more.

I'm glad you guys have enjoyed the article. Hopefully it's a start to bigger things. I intend on sending the article to some tv stations when I get the chance. Perhaps over the weekend or early next week. All very much worth the effort. If anyone has any advice on who to send it to, please send it on to me.
Thanks again everyone.
Cheers !
Dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!

Too bad we don't have a "like" button here! So proud to say I "know" you!! Keep up your good work!!!

57 when diagnosed. Heavy smoker. Social drinker. Diagnosed 7/9/09 with tonsil, tongue & neck cancer. Chemo induction (Cisplatin, 5FU & Taxotere) & 35 radiation tx + 7 Carboplatin.
Head and neck CAT scan on 1/15/10 shows no cancer.
1/27/12 First PET/CAT scans in 2 years - All clear!!
recurrence mid-2015
OCF supporter and avid OCF CO and NJ walk attendee with worldwide friends

*** 1-7-16 passed away unexpectedly ***
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Dave, we have just started advertising on telly in Melbourne Listerine - alcohol free....I'm going to email them to try & get them to mention in their ads that mouth wash with alcohol can cause oral cancer to......you are an inspiration darling...xxxx

Jeanna
Wife/Carer of Rod, 56, Dx 5/3/09, SCC Oropharnyx T4 N2, End Tx 28th 07/09, 7wks Rad, 3 Cisplatin, primary tonsil, 4cm Lymph right of neck, 1cm left, in jaw & soft palate & base of tongue. Peg 06/09. CT & PET scans 02/11 - NED. Dentures 20/09/11, PEG out 28/10/11.
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thankyou very much Cathi smile I'm very glad to be your friend as well!

Thanks Jeanna ! Good luck with the ad. great stuff smile Hopefully you hear back from them.

I started my tattoo on Saturday, that tells the story about my cancer experience, and the things that got me through it. I wish i could post the photo on here. for those who have me on facebook, take a look and let me know what you think smile

Cheers
Dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
David2 #137642 08-02-2011 05:56 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Nicely done mate. Good to put a face with a post : }

Caco
CG to Dad. Biopsy 5/11 non-op, SCC stage IV poorly dif at base of tongue with nodes, quit smoking in '85, ChemoRad began 8/2/11 ended 9/22/11 with NED. Distant mets 11/11, clinical trials. War raging on!
Caco #137878 08-08-2011 07:32 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Just read your article Dave - great stuff mate.
Well done.

cheers
jon

stage 2 scc in left oral tongue. 32 at dx
removed 21/12/09 plus left neck dissection and upper arm flap.
clear pathology 24/12/09
non-smoker
active footballer/surfer
social drinker
lives stress-free!
jonp #139326 09-05-2011 10:06 PM
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hey guys smile

I just want to ask something, and I�d love to hear what you guys think. I had an idea thrown at me today by my brother. It's just an idea at the moment, but it's got me really excited on the possibilities that it could become..

When I finished treatment, it was the toughest time getting back into physical activity and getting myself fit again mentally and physically. I wasn�t too keen on the idea of going to the gym, because I thought it was a pretty daunting place to go when I was so sickly looking & weak both mentally and physically. I�d lost a lot of weight because of my op, and all things that go with treatment and the whole cancer experience. It took a lot of motivation and help from the people closest to me to get me back out there.

But now, about 6 months later, getting back and getting fit again has turned out to be one of the best things in my recovery. Meeting people who have similar experiences I think has been the best! Being able to talk, and relate with people�s experiences, and understand the struggles we face together has been great for me personally. I�ve met some incredible, inspiring people.

The idea is to become a personalized trainer, who specializes with people who have gone through cancer, and perhaps disabilities. Those who are coming out of a life changing experience, and going into �rehab�, as I called it when I started going to the gym. What do you guys think? Would you personally like the idea of being trained by someone who has gone through similar life-changing experiences? I�ve found it�s frustrating to talk to those who aren�t familiar with your story, and can�t relate. It can be the difference between getting fit again, and back into enjoying life sooner rather than later.

It�s only at the idea stage. I literally heard the idea only about an hour ago when I was at the gym with my brother. But it has already inspired me. And I�m considering leaving my teaching p.e course that I started only 2 months ago, and throwing everything at it. I�ll have to look into tafe courses, and talk to a few trainer�s down at the gym. It�s something that excites me, and I know I�d have a genuine passion for. Something that teaching lacks for me a little bit.

Would love to hear what you guys think smile

Cheers,

Dave

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Oh I like this idea. Yes- there are many people out there who have been through traumatic physical / health experiences who want to get back to where they were but find it hard to get over the initial hump. I felt that way. For instance... I love to do yoga but when I was first recovering I had to spit a lot . It was super embarrasing and I was just trying to get through it but one of the instructors brought attention to me. I found it very humiliating and didn't go back for awhile until I got a little further out from the end of treatment- but I craved the physicla activity and found it incredibly healing and strengthening.. also so good for lossening up all the scar tissue on my neck.

Physical activity is so healing and it really enegizes and get rid of all the toxins from the treatments. Once I got my strength back I was hooked again. I think you could find a lot of like minded clients.
I have friends who are personal trainers and also physical therapists. It takes a little while to develop a client base but once you do you get referrals and long term clients. I think it is probably a lot like other therapies where you will need to get licenced and build a client base.

If you feel passionately about this and feel that it is your calling you should go for it. I remember you were very athletic so it sounds like the perfect combo for you!

KATE

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!

Hi Dave, With the number of cancer survivors out there, it sounds like you might really be on to something good! You may want to talk with local physical and occupational therapists. They would know about the interest level of patients they are assisting in the transition from patient to survivor. Also a straw poll of survivors here on the OCF forum might be able to help you closely define a demographic on top of the target market of cancer survivors.

I have been mulling over career changes, myself. Because of the saga I've been through the past few months, I am considering returning to graduate school to work on an advanced degree in occupational therapy. I would love to do some creative fiction and non-fiction writing, as well. I love being an artist. But, I would like to find something that's more stable and involves service to others. I teach art one night a week at a youth detention facility. But, it doesn't always make as much of a difference as I would like.

Good luck, Dave! It sounds like your heart is in it...which is a good first step towards success!

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

It's a great idea Dave, I'm excited to hear more about it, keep us updated!

As a gym rat myself I dig it

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics