Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13750 01-05-2003 10:38 AM
marie Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone ~ I hope that today is a good one for you.
My husband George was recently diagnosed with MEC; Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the soft and hard palate.
We already have an appointment for surgery in a local hospital, but are thinking seriously of getting a second opinion at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa (Florida).
Has anyone here been treated there, and if so, please let us know if you recommend or not.
This area is known as the Head & Neck Program at Moffitt Cancer Center (a teaching hospital).
It's a little distance from home (150 miles) and if we decide to do the surgery there ... would really appreciate some input.
We've had wonderful advice so far, from Sigrid and Julie - now need advice on where/who to perform the surgery.
Sorry this is so long. I hope someone out there is familiar with Moffitt.
Thanx for reading. smile

:)marie
Hubby George - Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma. Dx'd 12/17/02
#13751 01-10-2003 02:47 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Marieschal:
I have a new son-in-law that was raised in Tampa and lives here now. I will check with him this week end to see if he knows anything. Soon as I talk with him I will get back with you.

Mike D.

#13752 01-11-2003 05:01 AM

Hi Marieschal,

I live in the Orlando area. I was not treated at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, although my ENT considered sending me there. He said that they handle more
cases there then they see in central FL.

SCC of Tongue stage IV, partial glossectomy with modified neck dissection RAD/Chemo
#13753 01-11-2003 05:34 PM

Hi Marieschal:
Just spoke with my so-in-law a few minutes ago. He said that his grandmother was treated at the Moffit center. He had nothing but good comments on the care and the treatment his grandmother had. She was treated for liver cancer at 76 years of age and lived to 83. He went onto to say he would recomend the center to anyone and that they treat more patients than any other facility in southern Florida. Apparently it is located on 30th Street right next to University of Flordia. If you need any more info please let me know and I will try to find out from my son-in-law and his parents. Hope this helps.

Mike D.

#13754 01-11-2003 05:51 PM

Marieschal:
If you decide to have treatment at the center please let me know and I will ask my son-in-law where is close and safe to stay, or if the Center has facilities for family members.

Mike D.

#13755 01-13-2003 05:20 PM
marie Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Mike.
I DO think George will also have his treatment there. The local surgeon has still not called with results of CTscan. I think his ego is bruised because we are going for 2nd opinion.
I've already got motels narrowed down to 3, which we will check out Thursday after his appointment. Moffitt says to be prepared to be there up to 4 hours. We'll bring books. smile
Anyone else with Mucoepidermoid carcinoma feel free to email or post your experiences and recovery times. Sigrid has been a GREAT help!
Brian, this is a wonderful source of information, esp from those who've 'been there; done that'.
Thanx to all of you!! smile

#13756 01-14-2003 08:22 AM

My husband John had surgery at Moffitt after having radiation and chemo at MD Anderson in Orlando. We liked the surgeon and the hospital staff. The pain team wasn't worth a hoot. Their follow up is not what we would like--very impersonal and calls are not returned.
We were spoiled by our Oncologist in Orlando. She is super. Too bad MD Anderson does not have a complete clinic (including MD Anderson surgeons )yet.

As far as a safe area. It is quite ok day or night. It is adjacent to the U of South Florida.

Some hotels have a rate for patients at Moffitt.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Meredith

#13757 01-14-2003 11:05 AM
marie Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanx Meredith,
I appreciate the information and glad you were pleased with the surgeon and staff.
IF radiation is involved, that will happen here locally (Fort Myers).
Thanx too for the info on the area .. we are a little familiar with it .. our youngest daughter attended USF and if she didn't come home for a weekend, we'd go up there. The motel we stayed in then (1990) is now 13 years old, so we'll be checking out a few I've researched. FYI, we are not getting the same rates that are on Moffitt's webpage, from the hotels.
Well, it IS season .. so .. no problemo.
But thank you very much. You are ALL so helpful and quick to respond.
Perhaps I can help you someday. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320