Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137323 07-26-2011 09:27 AM
OP Offline

Hello All,
I am going through a clinical trial with radiation and Erbitux only. I have had 2 infusions of Erbitux so far, but I started to get the skin rash about 5 days after the first infusion. My oncologist prescribed Doxycycline Hyclate (antibiotic) and Alclometasone (steroid gel). I take the antibiotic once a day but the steroid gel had the ever helpful "Use as necessary" on the box. I asked what what my skin care regimen should look like, but didn't get a very clear answer. I think I was a little too anxious about my first radiation treatment that I was having that day to push it.

I was wondering what kind of skin care regimen other people had success with from the Erbitux rash. Also, does the rash ever plateau or does it does it continue to get worse and then subside after treatment?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Mike

Recurrent dysplasia for 5 years, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 6/17 T1N1, 1 positive node.
60 gy IMRT 7/25-9/2, erbitux x11 7/18.
Recurrence April 2012, Neck Dissection, 64 gy Tomo, Cisplatin, Docetaxel and Carboplatin post adjuvant
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I had 5 or 6 weeks of Erbitux - it was rough for me because it caused quite a severe skin reaction as the weeks progressed. I felt that the rash got worse a day or 2 after each infusion, peaked at about day 3-4-5 and then diminished ever so slightly before the next infusion. Overall though, it did get progressively worse. I was looking at my CA journal a few weeks ago and there were days where all I wrote was "rash, rash, RASH!!!" So it's no fun at all but manageable - my oncology nurse said even though it looks like acne don't treat it like acne by using alcohol products. I used aquaphor and aloe vesta like crazy. I was about to ask for silvadene at the end because it was getting pretty painful but they decided to skip the last infusion.
Just a note - it seems obvious now but it wasn't then- I'll blame the pain meds - but I was very good about NOT using the pastes and creams before radiation because it interferes with the radiation BUT I was not smart enough to realize that the aquaphor I had plastered on my chin was actually in the radiation field too and so I ended up looking like Jay Leno for a while! So be careful about that - CLEAN skin makes a big difference!

My skin took about 2-3 weeks to heal after the infusions stopped - the MD assured me that there would be no scars as a result of the rash but he was wrong - I do have some scarring on my chin but as I mentioned above I may have contributed to that inadvertently!
Good luck - I didn't call it "Erbisucks" for nothing - it sucked but if it worked then it was worth it!!!!!
Take care Mike!

Jennifer (39)
02/10 SCCa Tongue & Base, HPV-
03/10 Partial Glossectomy & ND 11/10 Revision due to additional nodes 12/20-2/2/11 IMRT & concommitant chemo 2/11 PEG in 3/11 PEG out
Back at work and feeling good 03/24/11!
12/20/11 - 9 month f/u PET/CT - all clear!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

"Also, does the rash ever plateau or does it does it continue to get worse and then subside after treatment?"

My husband's moved around - started on top of his (bald) head and face, meandered down his chest, popped up on his back, returned to his head. His rash took about 5 weeks after the final infusion to clear. He used aquaphor, and minocycline oral antibiotics. The aphaphor made a big difference. He also used some cortisone cream on his face when it got too itchy.

The intersection of the radiation burn and the rash was the most difficult to manage - for the last couple of weeks of radiation, he switched to the high-powered burn creme.

The other thing you may hit toward the end of the Erbitux infusions is cracking in the skin of your fingers and toes. This pops up at about week 8 if it's going occur. I had to badger my husband to use the aquaphor on his hands, too, but it did help.

Good luck with your therapy - and stay as hydrated (inside and out) as possible!

Last edited by Maria; 07-26-2011 10:28 AM. Reason: typos

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
OP Offline

Thanks for the advice...I guess I will just keep slathering on the aquaphor!

Recurrent dysplasia for 5 years, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 6/17 T1N1, 1 positive node.
Recurrence April 2012, Neck Dissection, 64 gy Tomo, Cisplatin, Docetaxel and Carboplatin post adjuvant

Yes - slather away - and keep us updated! There is a positive correlation between a prominent rash (especially first cycle) and it's effectiveness; I would tell my husband it was a lovely rash, and he would glare at me. Best wishes to you.

PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
OP Offline

I have started using a cream that the Radiation Oncologist gave me called GlucanPro. They said to use it specifically on the radiation treatment zone, but it seems to work well on the rash area on the rest of my face as well. Has anyone had any experience with this cream?

Actually, the worst part right now is my scalp. My head is constantly itchy...super annoying. I think it is because I don't put any kind of moisturizing lotion on it during the day. I just use a tea tree oil shampoo on it during my shower. Any advice on for scalp care?

Mike

If you could deal with getting a buzz-cut, it would be easier and less messy to apply lotion or ointment. Also, your doctors probably discussed this, but be really careful of the sun - does not play well with the rash. A broadbrim hat, or one of those caps that also shades the back of your neck would cover more than just a baseball cap. Be careful of the back of your neck and your arms, too, with the sun. My husband was lucky - his treatment was in the winter - not a lot of sun for him to worry about.

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I know what you mean about the itchy scalp. I have seriously considered shaving my head in the past few days. My MO prescribed Zyrtec which does get rid of the itching but also makes me super sleepy. I only take it when I just can't stand it anymore.

Tracy - 33 at diagnosis
SCC right ventral tongue Dx 4/11.
T1N2M0
1st resection 5/11.
Bilateral neck dissection: 2 pos nodes
2nd resection w/graft 6/11.
Erbitux x 11 completed 9/11. IMRT x 30 completed 8/11.
3 month MRI and PET/CT all clear.
6, 9, 12 and 24 month post treatment MRIs all clear.
OP Offline

Just a heads up...don't take doxocycline right before bed! I was wondering why I had awful heartburn the lasT two days, and I happened to look up side effects of the doxocycline. I found out that if you lay down after taking it, it will dissolve in your esophagus rather than in the stomach and give you a good case of GERD. Funny they forgot to mention that...

It does seem to be doing a good job of keeping the rash at bay on my face, but my chest is starting to look like a bad connect-the-dots drawing.

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks for the tip. The rash on my face is pretty awful. I haven't noticed a difference since starting the antibiotics. I hope they'll start working soon. If not, I'm just going to get some braces and tell everyone I'm 14.

Tracy - 33 at diagnosis
SCC right ventral tongue Dx 4/11.
T1N2M0
1st resection 5/11.
Bilateral neck dissection: 2 pos nodes
2nd resection w/graft 6/11.
Erbitux x 11 completed 9/11. IMRT x 30 completed 8/11.
3 month MRI and PET/CT all clear.
6, 9, 12 and 24 month post treatment MRIs all clear.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics