Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

Karen,
Thanks for replying. About food and taste, everything tastes AWFUL and it's hard to keep eating. About a year out from the end of the first round I suddenly realized that I could tell I was eating carrots; they tasted like carrots and I thought some taste would come back but it never did. The second round of treatment wiped out the carrots and made everything taste even worse. Maybe that will modify as time goes by.
Good luck to you and your love with getting through the treatment; it will get better slowly with time, I hope.
Pat

sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma,
diagnosed 1/09
8 wks radiation, destroyed both major and minor salivary glands, problems with very dry eyes, sinuses & ear tubes;
carboplantin and taxol
Tumor growing again 11/10:
cisplatin and etoposide, 6 wks radiation
follow-up scan in Aug
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Patricia, you are no longer alone. You have found a great place to compare your progress with other survivors. The sense of taste can take a full 2 years for improvements. I hope you will be able to regain it again.

When you have time please add a signature. It will help us to get to know you easier. Click on the 'my stuff' tab then on profile. At the bottom type your info in the white box.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Patricia,

Exercise is important imho. I've been athletic my whole life and find I'm more myself when I get to run and lift. It's not as awe inspiring as it used to be but it helps me feel normal. I make sure I have water and mouthspray and gum, then I run bleachers, sprints then distance then hit the weights. Makes me feel good and also wears me out so I can sleep. If I keep "watering" myself I do pretty well.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OP Offline

Christine,
Wow, you have been through a lot. Thank-you so much for responding. I have pretty much given up hope of getting any real taste back, just hoping the awfulness will be reduced.
I guess all we can go to keep on truckin.

diagnosed 1/09
8 wks radiation, destroyed both major and minor salivary glands, problems with very dry eyes, sinuses & ear tubes;
carboplantin and taxol
follow-up scan in Aug
OP Offline

Thanks, Eric.
Somehow I just can't see how I could actually exercise as it's so intensely unpleasant with my mouth but maybe I can figure out a way to just bear it. Water doesn't help; in fact, water makes my mouth worse and I have to swish my mouth with Biotene after drinking water but maybe I can figure something out. More power to you.
Pat

diagnosed 1/09
carboplantin and taxol
follow-up scan in Aug
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My Dr prescribed Pilocarpine to assist in stimulating saliva production. Worked for me. I am 2+ years out. Quit using the RX about three months ago. I am happy with where my eating/saliva is at. Definitely not at pretreatment level but pretty good. Do not loose hope! Just keep trudging.

DX 2/10/09; Stage 1 SCC side of tongue; Partial Gloss; PEG in 3/3/09; 3 Cisplatin; 35 IMRT; PEG out 7/17/09; Eating via mouth and walking 3 miles/day 4 wks after treatment end. 50 pound weight loss; Clear PET 09/09 and 09/10
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Patricia:
Don't eer give up on anything. I'm almost five years out (YAY) and my taste and saliva production seem to keep improving (Slowly, but improving). My Surgeon said that what physically can't change in my body I can continue to adapt to.
As everyone is saying, keep pressing on! Best Wishes.
Steve

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

OP Offline

Thanks Carmen and Steve,
It helps to hear that things improve slowly after 5 years. I tried the medication but it didn't help; salivary glands totally fried but am thinking maybe I should try again.
Pat

diagnosed 1/09
carboplantin and taxol
follow-up scan in Aug

Patricia, Eric and Jen.
I had to find a psychiatrist. I was so anxiety ridden from this that I was having anxiety attacks that would make dry mouth worse and I could not sleep. He put me on a low doss Mirtazapine. In low dose it makes you sleep I needed that. The oncologist gave me Salagen for the dry mouth. I hear it works for some and not for others. I am hesitant to take it as I was over medicated during my treatments which ended May 26th 2011.

My prayers are will all of you.

Patricia - you've been through an ordeal... wow. But I'll agree with the other posters about salivary recovery. My mouth was like the Mojave for months and months, maybe a year. But gradually around 12-14 months it started to return to some kind of normalcy. Nothing like before, but much better. In fact now, maybe 26 months after my last trip on the ride (as I called RT), it's even better than it was 6 months ago.

I never tried any direct medication for this but if it's out there, why not give it a shot?

Keep us posted. Thinking of you.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users