Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13604 11-16-2002 07:58 AM
can Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello all forum members! I am new to the forum boards and am grateful to find so many here posting and being of assistance to others...I am awaiting clearance from HMo to go to Comprehensive Center for diagnosis (biopsy and staging of neoplasm in oropharyngeal mass) this has been a nightmare from the day I accidentally found out, by picking up all radiology and vascular exams for a vas. surgeon to review for vascular occlusions. I had a CT done due to alymph node, or so I thought causing numbness and moderate pain in my neck . Jez, the ENT never called me to advise me of this over 2 cm. neoplasm mass, which is apparently obstructing my air intake! Anyway I began my journey to move forward and have for a week now been struggling along with my primary physician and their office with my HMO to allow me to exercise my choice in treatment centers close to my home, for biopsy and additional treatments as needed! Advocating for myself has been draining my energy. I have no one here to do this for me as all family is deceased, my children ages, 19, 15 and 12, all wonderful sons, one of which has special needs himself, multipialy impaired; these boys are all I have for family, and I have to maintain energy and positive spirit eek for them as well as myself. Sorry this post is so long, but whew what a week!

#13605 11-16-2002 04:38 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome, Can. First, take a deep breath. This is a long journey you are beginning, and you don't want to spend all your energy just worrying up front. Many of us have come out the other side smiling, and you can too. It truly is a one day at a time thing, and looking at it that way makes it easier. There were times right after my surgery and during radiation and chemo that I could not have driven myself. Although my husband was at hand to do this, I know that if you need transportation, there are several avenues you can explore. The American Cancer Society in your area would be a good place to begin. In my small town, members of the Elks volunteer to transport people to the "big city" for treatment. A couple of phone calls ought to set your mind at ease about that. When you finalize your treatment plan, come back and let us know. There will surely be many people who have had exactly the same procedures, and can tell you precisely what to expect, every step of the way. That is the gift I was given when I came here, and that allowed me to proceed without wasting any energy on fear. I could then concentrate on healing. Knowledge is truly power in this situation. Hang in there! You will come though this life adventure okay.
Joanna

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics