Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Dave

How wonderful it is that you are trying to create awareness about this horrible disease. I was just talking with my dentist the other day and he said to me there is no clear explanation why this type of cancer is affecting younger people who do not fit the 'typical' OC patient profile. He also mentioned that he has seen more women who are in their late 30s/early 40s present with OC in the last few years and he was at a loss as to why this was the case. Most were HPV negative (myself included).

I am finding that in Australia there is no media coverage or any kind of public awareness dedicated to OC apart from the occassional ad that shows the correlation of smoking and OC. I am so glad that you have chosen to make a difference and I wish you all the best in your endevours to change this situation. You are an amazing young man!!

Liza

Last edited by Lizzy67; 06-25-2011 09:36 PM.

SCC of the Buccal Mucosa (R cheek)- T1N0M0.10 hour Surgery on 27/9/10 involving resection with freeflap from radial forearm..clear margins. Neck dissection..negative nodes.Trachy, NGT, no rad or chemo needed at the time. Neck lump positive for SCC..again! MND 14/2/11. Waiting to have chemo and rads
Lizzy67 #135838 06-26-2011 07:25 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Dave

Good luck getting through your treatments - inpsirational.... and good luck with the 7pm project -i'll watch out for you!

Re your tattoo - enjoy the session(s)! I never thought to get a tattoo, probably for two reasons - one's on my neck and the other is on my arm. Two healthy looking scars that seem to do a good job of telling the story themselves!

Cheers
jon

stage 2 scc in left oral tongue. 32 at dx
removed 21/12/09 plus left neck dissection and upper arm flap.
clear pathology 24/12/09
non-smoker
active footballer/surfer
social drinker
lives stress-free!
jonp #135839 06-26-2011 08:13 PM
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thanks Lizzy.
They may not be able to explain it, but the changes in the disease need to be learned not only to those who may pick up the disease, but local GP's who now know that a young person can get the disease (however unlikely). Both are very important. I've never seen anything about it in the news here either. So i'll hopefully get across to someone. I'm sending through the emails tomorrow to radio stations, tv show, etc. I think sending it on a Tuesday may be better than a Monday, because everyone will be busier after the weekend. If i don't hear back from anyone i'll look at other ways to get across though.

Hey jonp. Cheers ! It'd be great to get the story on the 7pm project. Even if it's only a short part of the show. I'm sure they could do alot of good with even a short mention of the disease. I'll let people know on here if I make any progress with any stations, etc.

Those scars do a good job of telling the story don't they smile I guess i'm aiming for what got me through my battle. (family, friends, my love of football (soccer), music, etc) I'll only go ahead if i get a design i love and i won't have it in a place seen too often. We'll see what happens hehe smile
Thanks for the msg/reply,
Cheers!
Dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Ok, so i've just made some progress. My letter is 800+ words, and there's 5 photos attached.

I've emailed plenty of different tv shows, radio, and a few newspapers. The list I've emailed so far is-

FREE TO AIR:

The Today show, Sunrise, 60 minutes, 7pm Project, A Current Affair, Today Tonight, ABC Health & Wellbeing

RADIO:

Nova, B105, Triple M

NEWSPAPERS:

Courier Mail, Daily Telegraph

OTHER:

news.com.au

That's my list of email recipients so far. I'm pretty happy with the layout of my word document and the photos came up good. hopefully someone will pick it up and put something out there.

That's just the list I could think of at the time. If anyone has any advice for who else i should send it to, please let me know because i'm sure i'll think of a few more and i'll keep sending them out.. There's also the option of mailing letters to tv stations individually (Ten, nine, etc). I'm wondering if sending a letter is a better option than email? I guess i'll wait and see, and if i haven't been contacted this week, i'll send letters out to the stations. And i can send through some of the the brochures OCF sent me when i bought a couple of shirts recently!

Any advice is much appreciated.
Cheers,

Dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

That's awesome!! Hope you hear back from them all

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Cheryld #135877 06-27-2011 09:10 PM
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Cheers Cheryld!
I've recieved one reply so far. From the ABC show 'Health & Wellbeing'.

It's the show that is likely to have the lowest viewer audience though from the list.

I've started a thread about this in the Activism part of the forum.

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=135875&#Post135875

Cheers !
Dave

Cheryld #135878 06-27-2011 09:13 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Dave, way to go!!!!!

You are doing a great job at trying to educate not only the public but the medical community.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

That's awesome Dave...

I don't think i want to see myself on tele, otherwise I'd say count me in!!!

So you're a music nut too?

Oh and my original message was meant to say "congrats" on getting through the treatment - not good luck!

stage 2 scc in left oral tongue. 32 at dx
removed 21/12/09 plus left neck dissection and upper arm flap.
clear pathology 24/12/09
non-smoker
active footballer/surfer
social drinker
lives stress-free!
jonp #135904 06-28-2011 08:49 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hey dave so good to hear that you going so well after treatment and its so good that your getting the message out after reading about it seems that for a disease that if found early the prognosis is excellent i had seven mets in my neck so i was very lucky and its so disgusting that there isn't way more info and ads pushing early checkups like they do with other issues so here's to getting the message out there i was 42 when diagnosed with scc of tonsil and your young age so the demographic would suggest the need for govt action so keep it up look at the response to sbs doco on refugees and the abc is a start.
much love and peace.

2.5yr surv scc tonsil
mets to neck
teeth out
pegin/pegout
35rads/3chemos
keep on,keeping on

malo5 #135983 06-29-2011 05:00 AM
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Cheers Christine smile

Hey jonp. This one i'm doing a write up for isn't on tv unfortunately. It's more an article write up to put up on a website promoting healthy living. But it's a start ! I'm into a bit of music. My brother is very talented, me not so much. But i do love listening to music. I mainly listen to older stuff. I love Queen, The Beatles, Kiss, Cold Chisel, Farnham, etc. Music is a powerful thing. It played it's part in my healing process post surgery.

Hey malo. Thanks for the support. Doing my bit to get the message feels like the least i can do. It's my way of giving back to those people who helped save my life. Hopefully i can play a minor role in helping others.

Small steps, will hopefully lead to something bigger. And we can keep spreading the word.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics