Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hey,
I originally started this idea in my introductory thread. http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130391&page=8

So far, I've sent an 800+ word document with photos via email to the following locations:

FREE TO AIR:
The Today show, Sunrise, 60 minutes, 7pm Project, A Current Affair, Today Tonight, ABC Health & Wellbeing

RADIO:
Nova, B105, Triple M

NEWSPAPERS:

Courier Mail, Daily Telegraph

OTHER:
news.com.au

These are the places i could think of. I'm from Brisbane.. I sent out these emails about 2-3 hours ago. I just checked my emails & i've recieved a reply from ABC's Health & wellbeing. They are interested in the story. Here's the email they sent sent me..

Hi Dave

Thanks so much for taking the time to write to us. It sounds like you have really been through the mill in the last year, but it's great that you are getting back on the road to good health now.
We would love you to write something for us about your experience and we think the messages you hope to spread, about the disease and the importance of early detection, are incredibly important.

We usually ask people to work on the piece for a Your Story themselves, but then one of the editors on our site will have a look at it and help polish it up before we publish. So there is sometimes a bit of back and forth before it's published. We will also work on some fact boxes to go in the story, explaining a bit more about the condition for the audience.

We also send all our Your Story contributors a gift voucher for the ABC Shop as a thank you for their time and being kind enough to share their story.

Let me know if you are still keen to go ahead.
All the best

Rebecca Jenkins
On behalf of the ABC Health & Wellbeing team

So promising signs early on. By the looks, this will require me to film a segment on myself if i've read correctly. Out of the listing i sent the email too, this one would be the station with the lowest ratings though.

What are people's thoughts?
cheers,
dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Excellent!!!!!

Im hoping that these news outlets will pick up on the trend that we have going on here in the US. OC is beginning to get noticed. You are doing a wonderful job at trying to educate both the public and medical community of this terrible disease.

Have you considered hosting an oral cancer screening event? They are very popular here in the US. Not sure how things like this work in other countries.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

thanks Christine.
It's a start. I'm heading out to the gym now, but i'll have a think when i get home and i'll reply to them and go from there. Hopefully i'll hear from elsewhere as well.

As for an oral screening event, i've only heard of them through here with you guys. I'll have a look into it. I've gotta go now for an hour or so.

talk soon

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Dave,

I have found that most people about to do a story on HPV or Oral Cancer will first contact a local CCC, in this case Moffitt, and if the CCC is aware of your desire to speak on the topic they will refer the reporter to you so I have found it very helpful to make sure that Moffitt's PR dept had all my info.

Good luck, you can make a difference!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Dave, great news!!! Keep up the good work!!

Would love to help if you do decide to do a screening or any other event over there!!!

One of our other members also inquired about doing a walk in Australia!!! Woudn't that be great to have several!!!

Contact me if you need help and are pursuing!!!

All my best,
Susan

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Good for you Dave,
You will need to keep us posted when something gets published or goes to air. We get most of the same programs in Sydney. I have 1 OC maroon braclet and sticker left. If I did not send you one before and you would like one just send you address in a PM.
As davidcpa says "Good luck, you can make a difference!"
cool
Cheers
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Dave

Sorry I didn�t read your thread earlier. You are doing great work trying to get the word out about oral cancer.

I�m in regular contact with the Cancer Council and Peter McCallum Cancer Centre in Victoria helping to improve services and assist with projects for Head and Neck cancer patients. Not only awareness, but also assistance and aftercare for oral Cancer survivors in Victoria is incredibly low . Several other cancer survivors I know have been writing to various groups including the Minister for Health + Local and Federal Members of Parliament for assistance.

There was a young man on �X Factor� a couple of years back - his name is Karl Dimachki. I�m not 100% sure, but I think he was from QLD also. He had tongue cancer and was trying to get the word out. I had a quick look, he is on Face Book. It might be worth teaming up with Karl as he might have some contacts he could share with you.

If there is anything I can do from here, please send me a PM.

Good luck!
Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hey guys

Thankyou for all the replies, support and advice you're giving me. It's hugely appreciated.

Hey David, thanks. I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow morning for a checkup. Maybe he'll be able to help point me in the right direction.

Hey Susan, thanks ! I'm all for trying to organise something like a screening or fundraising walk. It may take some time and planning but it's definitely worth pursuing. Thanks for the offer!

Thanks Gabe smile I've recently recieved a heap of armbands and brochures when i ordered a couple of shirts online. So i should be right at this stage, but thankyou !

Hey Karen. It sounds like you're doing great work. I can already tell it's tough work getting the word out, but it's definetly worth the effort. I'll have a look into writing into government, minister of health, etc. Thanks for the advice!

I was actually watching the X factor show. That was post surgery, pre treatment for me from memory. He was very inspiring. I actually watched his video back a few times during my treatment. I didn't realise he was on facebook. I'll try and add him on there. Thankyou !

Again, thanks everyone for the advice. Sorry I couldn't get on here any earlier tonight.

I've been in contact with the ABC page, and i'm going to write up a report they'll post on their website. When i have more details i'll post on here.

Cheers!

Dave

Good luck Dave! The reward of spreading awareness is so huge, so glad you decided to help!

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk

Hey Dave, I am in the process of helping Jeanna Edwards organize her walk iin Australia!!! Maybe you can help, not sure if you are near her or not, she is near Carlton, Vic or Mordialloc, hope I got that right!!! Are you near there? We are in the early process of getting a date and location.

Let me know!!

Thanks so much!

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916