Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

lol...I got edited laugh

Sorry Christine...I'll try and watch my language...but I'm a hardcore bad boy so you may have to edit me again hahaha!!!

but I'll do my best!

You're most welcome Wendy...you keep doing what you do my dear, I believe God sees it. In my case I hope so and maybe it makes up for the times in my life I was not so good. Who knows, redemption may not be impossible. smile

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Eric, you will have no problem with getting through those pearly gates. One day, a very long, long time from now, God will have some new angels by his side. Eric, Charm, Ezjim and Christine.

Haha, I can just hear you, Charm and Ezjim laughing at being called angels. But truly you all are.

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Totally agree with Wendy!! You guys have been my 'angels' in the darkest hours of my life! And I pray that you continue to be for the other newbies who will join this site.

Liza xx

SCC of the Buccal Mucosa (R cheek)- T1N0M0.10 hour Surgery on 27/9/10 involving resection with freeflap from radial forearm..clear margins. Neck dissection..negative nodes.Trachy, NGT, no rad or chemo needed at the time. Neck lump positive for SCC..again! MND 14/2/11. Waiting to have chemo and rads
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Wendy

Just remember that Devils are also Angels, just "fallen".
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Lucifer--fallen angel--name means light. It's impossible to see without light. Thank you...

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.

My heart goes out to you care givers smile I learned during my treatments that you have the "harder time" We are busy with our treatments and that gives us the sense of doing and helping with our care. It keeps us occupied.
You, on the other hand, see all we are going through and are helpless to change things. Just remember that in your "helplessness" you are providing comfort and encouragement more than you will ever know or appreciate.
God bless you all.
Chris

Stage 4 squamous cell tonsil cancer. Two lymph nodes involved surgically removed before source found to be tonsil. Implant radiation right on tonsil, regular mask radiation therapy for two months and a final Implant radiation. All clear confirmed by PET scans for 6 years.

Chris - How understanding of you to be so kind to caregivers. We are occupied, too, - that's exactly what helped me to keep my sanity amid all the worry of what my son was going through - just keeping busy and doing the things that needed to be done. And I don't know how we would have survived without the care and concern and practical information we received from everyone here on OCF. But we made it! Both of us - and the experience has, as Eric puts it, "widened our hearts". We found a new appreciation for the important things in life and the people that are dear to us.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I know this thread has been over for a while now, but it really struck a cord with me reading about how some people just can't handle others' illnesses. Last year I was a caregiver for about eight months. It was kind of out of the blue, I'm an accountant/tax professional, however I couldn't find work in my field and this "opportunity" came about. I was a little concerned about my own ability to handle the position.

The gentleman was an 89 year old farmer who was on hospice officially for COPD (farmer's lung). He had a whole host of other illnesses as well including diabetes, prostate cancer, heart disease, and skin cancers. He was for the most part wheelchair bound. He could walk short distances at times, or assist in his transfers, but he kept catching pneumonia and every time he did he would be unable to stand or walk for a while.

I was truly amazed at how much I was able to cope with. Medication administration, suppositories at times, bathroom issues (sometimes he could make it, many of the time he couldn't), excessive mucus, etc. I was there two to four days a week, 24 hours on the days I was there.

I must add that I was compensated, so this wasn't something I just started doing out of the kindness of my heart. However, I am a very caring person, and it broke my heart that his family members were so scarce most of the time. He owned a good amount of land in this small town he lived in and most of his family was within a five mile radius. His son was there every day, however briefly, because he worked the farm which was right on the property. However his daughters typically only showed up if he was very ill and we called them or if he had a doctor appointment. Grandchildren were even more scarce.

I'm sure that is more attention than some people have experienced, it was just heart breaking to me especially with everyone being so close. I would call to let them know he was having a good day and suggest they take him out or come hang out with him and they would act as though they thought it was a good idea and never show. Then on other occasions when he was doing poorly they would drag him out to some event he wasn't even coherent enough to remember had happened.

This is not to disparage their family, because they really are good people, but to say that there really are people out there who simply can't handle it, and some that are more interested in doing what is best for themselves rather than what is best for the patient. And you are all correct, they really are missing out on some important moments. I used to get sad when I was spending time with him because all I could think about was how the majority of his last days were being spent with complete strangers. Sure he got to stay at home, but often times he didn't recognize us.

All in all it was a rewarding experience because, while I didn't previously know the man, he had a lot of life experience to share. Also, it made me feel good to know that I was doing everything in my power to make his final months as comfortable, safe, and unlonely as possible.

A person really has to be able and willing to step outside of themselves and see things from the point of view of others. Some people simply can't or won't. They can't see past the day to day grind of their lives and their comparatively insignificant problems.

I will tell you what, that experience along with the very sudden passing of my father six years ago has changed my perspective on life so much. The things so many of us dwell on and worry about from day to day don't really seem to matter much when you look at the big picture.

I see people every day so much worse off than I am. They wander the streets with shopping carts, not knowing where their next meal is coming from. They are sick and unable to care for themselves with no loved ones to offer them support.

I think what I admire most about all of you going through this, caregivers and patients, is that you all seem to have this perspective too, and you seem to know what really matters in life. Perhaps it was the illness that brought it about or perhaps it was always there. I think the world would be a better place if everyone had this perspective, and of course if no one had this disease.

33 yr old female, former smoker of too many years.
Currently awaiting results of a neck ultrasound.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Some people truly do not realize how much they have. I am grateful for everything and despite this disease I am truly blessed. And part of it is because if the people here - hugs all

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Penny T - Thank you so much for sharing that story. Very enlightening and inspiring. I couldn't agree with you more.

Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260