Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Usually the MRI place I like takes an inordinately long time (about 5 days) to send a report but they were always the most detailed and reliable ones. So I was surprised when yesterday evening, my mail slot opened and an envelope was pushed in by my neighbor who had gotten my MRI report by mistake (I wasn't surprised that our mailman had mis-delivered, that's a weekly occurence) since it was only two days later.
I was shocked, disappointed and angry to read the radiologist's comment: �Is there any postoperative/postradiation MRI studies available for comparison? This obviously may help in further characterizing today's findings� Duh, yes, the MRI I had done last year at the same place. By the time I got the report, the MRI place was closed so I tossed and turned and composed letters in my mind all night.
By 7 am, I had a letter insisting on a new report comparing the images with what I thought to be a conciliatory touch:
[quote]Mistakes happen in medicine and I am willing to forgo filing formal complaints with the executives of [MRI place] and seeking censure and discipline from both accrediting and regulatory authorities if you now do the right thing. I look forward to receiving your revised report.[/quote]
By 9am the doctor was ducking my calls so I faxed another copy to the secretary while on hold and told her to hand it to him and give him this message: "I'm more trouble than I am worth, trust me" By 12:30, I had an acknowledgment of the mistake, an excuse "computer error", a sincere sounding apology from the radiologist on the phone plus his new interpretation delivered orally that everything was fine. I'll get the revised report in a few days.
With all my past stories of doctors doing me wrong, and all the current posts of doctors doing patients wrong, I wanted to share a small victory for our team.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Charm,

I am so happy that your MRI was clear. It's nerve-wracking enough to wait for the results. I hope that you can relax and catch up on that sleep you missed last night.

I recently had a similar situation with a CT scan. The reviewing radiologist commented on a few structures appearing normal when in fact they don't exist. Whose scan was he looking at? Did he confuse mine with someone else? I called and spoke to the manager of the department and she assured me a revised report would be filed by the end of the day. When I got my copy, I was horrified that the revision was still grossly inaccurate. I wrote a scathing letter to the Chief of Radiology, using words "sloppy, unprofessional, unacceptable" to make my point. I also questioned their level of expertise and said that I would consider changing to a different health system. (It is a business, after all.)

I suggested that he review my studies and submit a new report. He called me and reassured me that he had reviewed my file, that revised reports were being sent to me and my doctors, and that if I or anyone in my family ever needed any additional help, I was to call him and he would be happy to assist.

We gotta be on our toes! My father is a retired college professor and he had this saying, "A teacher is only as good as his students demand him to be". I'm not sure if that saying fits the medical profession but...maybe it does!

My very best to you!
Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

lol...we are sooo much alike! I love it smile Keep giving em hell Charm...you're posts keep me going sometimes my friend, thank you!

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Glad to hear everything turned out ok with your scan. I know you get nervous and worry about your check up scans. Now go celebrate and have a good nights rest!!! Congrats!!!

By the way, I am so glad that you are on the patient's side! The opposing side against you would have its work cut out for them. Glad the doc saw to it to make his life much easier by giving you what you wanted. Why do things have to always be a battle? What happened to the work standard of doing it right the first time? Good going on making them do the right thing!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

WTG, Charm! (and congrats on the scan... when they finally got it right)
d2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23