Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
nicki74 Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

hi has anyone experienced any infections after surgery? my dad had surgery about 5-6 weeks ago, and the swelling went down and came back and his face was red so we took him to see ENT right away and he said he has an infection.. ya know with all that said, we didn't ask how he couldve got infection, and if this was normal.. ugh.. thanks again..

Dad-55 yrs..2/2010-DX/March 2010-Induction Chemo/35Rads 7weeks concurrent with chemo once every 3weeks/6/2010-Treatments completed-October 2010-Recurrence/December 2010-salvage surgery/clear Margins/July 2011-recurrence/weekly Erbitux treatments-5/30/12, last erbitux..
Painfree and rested 6/19/12
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Infections are easily picked up in any open wound and in hospital environments even when there is no open wound site. You should inquire what type of infection or reaction he had and have it noted in his primary care phsycian's records.

Some of us have particular reactions, sensativities or allergic rections to medications, sutures, topical remedies, adhesives, latex, various food ingredients. Also personal cleaning products, cosmetics, perfumes and laundry detergents may cause problems. These reactions can range from mildy irritating to life threatening and some can worsen with repeated occurences or prolonged exposure.

I speak from experience having found out in casual conversation w a plastic surgeon friend that a very severe reaction which required powerful medication for cellulitus was a not well known allergy to a commonly used suture(which many plaastic surgeons no longer use). When I informed my ENT he replaced the sutures which were still in my jaw.

Following a fall I had Durabond put on a wound on my forehead and developed the same intense reaction as on a previous surgery site. That reaction had led to intense itching of the suturde area and inflamation and itching where the bandage contacted my skin. I used a prescribed cream and it took longer than the doctor expected to clear up. I developed a dangerous infection( MRSA) and had to be hospitalized on a powerful iv antibiotic in addition to the topical cream. On a latter visit I mentioned the Durabond rection to the doctor and she told me she routinly used it on sutered sites. So I had had 2 rections: to the durabond and to the adhesive part of the band-aide. I previously was aware of the sensativity to adhesive bandages and requested/used paper tape wherever possible. FOr my medical information I list both adhesives and Vycryl sutures under allergies.

Hope your father's medical team finds the root of his reaction so he never hass such a rection again.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
nicki74 Offline OP
OP Offline

wow thank you for all that information..the ENT did not say anything about an allergic reaction to anything.. hmm interesting.. i will have to bring this up to him in two weeks, at my dad's next visit..the redness has seem to gone away a little bit, it is only day 2 of the antibiotics..
thank you again for your info!

p.s. i am so glad to see that you are cancer free since may 2009.. thats fantastic!

Dad-55 yrs..2/2010-DX/March 2010-Induction Chemo/35Rads 7weeks concurrent with chemo once every 3weeks/6/2010-Treatments completed-October 2010-Recurrence/December 2010-salvage surgery/clear Margins/July 2011-recurrence/weekly Erbitux treatments-5/30/12, last erbitux..
Painfree and rested 6/19/12

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users