Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

A trust is not the only way to go with real estate. You can also either do a simple Quick Claim Deed or again put the property in Joint names with the Right of Survivorship. In each of these there may be "transfer taxes" based upon the properties FMV but since R/E sucks these days there may not be much to pay. If the R/E was put in joint names when purchased there are no additional transfer taxes due. The Quick Claim passes the property immediately so make sure the end is near and the person is totally trustworthy. There may also be gift taxes but in today's tax climate one would have to be a B Gates to worry about that.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I am so sorry to read this, nothing else to say but sorry. It is a horrible disease! My thoughts are with you during this time. Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---

Of course a trust is not the only way to go - only the best. And that's "Quit Claim" not "Quick claim". Maybe you Floridians have better laws because of all of the elderly people retiring there but in California a simple will, will suck a lot of money out of the estate.

I went through a trust with my dad and I am helping my wife go through probate with a simple will from her deceased mother. The difference in this state is like night and day. Just take a gander at the fee schedules for probate. To settle my Dada's trust I merely went to the county seat presented a death certificate and deeded the house to myself (since I was the successor trustee). No taxes, $50 filing fee. No big deal. With my MILS will, the lawyer alone will get at least $50K and the court will get their percentage.

See: http://www.trustandprobatelawgroup....On.html?gclid=CLitsI7gn6YCFQqAgwodSUjYng

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Florida Probate is also very expensive and one must do anything to avoid it unless of course you like giving a 3rd of the Estate to lawyers and waiting easily 2 years to settle.

I always refer to a Quit Claim as Quick because it's that's simple. One page and take it to the local courthouse to get it recorded and wham that's it. Every State can be different so always check my Florida advice out in your State first.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Agreed and agreed. The best thing I ever did after my mother died years ago was to finally convince my father to go to an estate planning lawyer. When he moved on years later the living trust was in place and painless to work with. This was all in florida.

d2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18

You guys are scaring me. My Mom lives in FL and the house is worth about $150,000 is in her name only. When I asked the lawyer about that in 2004 when Dad died, he said it wasn't a problem. When Mom dies, it would cost $75 to go through probate.

Are you telling me this is not true? She is 96. I can't file a quick claim if she dies in her sleep. Are you saying this property should be put in a trust for my sister and I. I can't afford to lose any money on this as come June I will have to support her to the tune of $40,000 or more a year. Was I given the wrong advice?

Thanks,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I PM'ed you.

David

mrsM Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks EVERYONE for your kind words and information! I appreciate all of it. I really do.

Update on MIL, she refuses any/all kinds of treatment, even Hospice (stubborn bird I tell you!).

Yeah MIL owns nothing (but a beat up car) and personal effects that I know of. I think SIL got a POA completed and directive. MIL was in the hospital for a week, and now into a temp. nursing home. They are trying to find her a bed in a assisted living program/home, which could be a week or more. Her kids will have to move her out of her apartment by the end of the month (wasting money on it) and I guess medi-care will pay for the assisted living with her SSA funds she gets monthly.

I believe the tongue cancer has spread to her brain. While in the hospital she complained that her brain was hurting (not like a headache) and wanted some test done (never got the test because by the time they came to do it she refused it). Doctors haven't really said how long she has, my guess is weeks, maybe 3-5 months.

I wished for her grandkids and children that she would have fought this in place of being in denial. It's truly sad, but her life and guess she wants it to be over at 74 years young. Sad to think we are talking about a super active woman, drove herself around mid Nov/Dec and now is facing the end since she wants no 2nd opinion, no Hospice, no testing, no nothing. Her health has gone down really fast!

Thanks for listening. Hope all of you that are suffering, recently diagnosed fight this cancer all the way and WIN! I really do!

I really feel sorry for her caregivers without hospice support. Truly one of the more unusual stories on the forum. We're here for you or anyone involved with her care.

It well could have metastized to the brain.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
mrsM Offline OP
OP Offline

I too feel sorry, however after I visited her on Saturday she was pretty mobile (which is a good thing). We didn't get to visit much because she was too busy in the bathroom washing her damn dishes, haha. I think Hospice will be in a few weeks or a month. She has to get out of denial first.

I am sure its spread to her neck or brain because she complained about her brain hurting.

Thanks for the support Gary!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users