Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I just started Erbitux along with chemo (Carboplatin) and radiation 2 days ago. I am already seeing redness on my cheeks and neck. This is my second round of chemo and radiation (I didn't have Erbitux the first time)and I didn't see any redness until the last week of treatment. I've read about Erbitux and the horrible rash you can get and I'm worried. Has anyone else had Erbitux? If so, what was your experience?

Surgery:10/09 removed tumor rt floor of mouth/mandible,4 molars,rt neck dissection removed lymph nodes; reconstruct:flap lft forearm,skin graft lft thigh. Chemo-cysplatin/radiation.
Surgery:04/10 lft neck dissection removed tumor,muscle,jugular vein,lymph nodes.Chemo(Carboplatin),Erbitux/radiation.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Get some Eucerin and some Aquaphor and use it a few times a day. I had the Erbitux and Rads. My skin even seeped a redish foul looking liquid, but 2 weeks after the treatments ended or less, my skin was clear.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

I also had pure aloe my Dr gave me to use. Don't know how I forgot that. Must be old age time. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Dwillson

I just read your other post and you have a great attitude plus an inspirational life story. wow, third time must be hard, I know the second time floored me harder than anything ever.

Erbitux rash is supposed to have a connection between intensity and efficacy. In other words, the worse the rash, the better it is doing. My RO thought I would never have the cancer come back as my reaction to Erbitux was the worst they have seen out of all the patients in my CCC. The key is to stay ahead of the skin damage. Lotions like aloe are fine at first, but start asking now for prescription speciality cremes like "SAF-Gel" or any variation of a "hydrating dermal wound dressing with alginate".
Unfortunately, I just stuck with aloe too long and ended up needing that fake burn skin, Vigilon. And don't forget, that I was a worst case scenario. Lots of posters here have had Erbitux and just normal rashes. Just monitor it daily and don't be afraid to speak up and ask for help. It was a Radiation Oncology nurse that finally helped us - she had seen so many Erbitux rashes that ended up with what she called "wooden soldier neck" - too painful to move the neck until she started getting the doctors to prescribe Saf-gel and Vigilon. You should be just fine if you stay on top of it. Good luck
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My dad had Erbitux and his rash lasted about 2 weeks after he completed radiation. It was not had, looked like acne. I put aquaphor on it and it worked great. Good luck, you will be fine.

Last edited by boston; 07-03-2010 01:13 PM.

Squamous cell / BOT with lymph node involvment, Stage 4, HIV-, cisplatin 3 weeks of 7, stopped due to kidney issues and neuropathy,35 radiation treatment started 5/6/09,started weekly erbitux on 6/2/09. Completed tx on 6/24/09, biopsy 8/11/09 clean, PET Scan 10/5/09 clear, PET Scan 6/11/10 clear

Good Day
The Regular Chemo Treatment seems to be out for me due to a pre existing health issue with my immune system. They did mention ERBITU as a stand alone injection. Has anyone used this drug alone with radiation after surgery with positive results or is this drug new to new to have stats?
Regards
Herbert

Sugery June 22 2010 waiting for wounds to heal

Hi Dwillson,

This is jennifer, the new member of this forum.
I am worried about the rash too.
My mom (73yrs, cancer on the cheeks and just finished
neck dissection removed lymph nodes; reconstruct:flap lft forearm,skin graft lft thigh.
The oncology suggested Cisplatin and Radia, but we are
afraid of side effect, such as hearing loss (she saw double vision due to other problem, so hearing is only thing for her now) and others. so we decide to go with Erbitux + Radia instead.

I am not sure if she can tolarence the rash now after the surgery
(done six weeks ago). How the rash done to the surgery side, such as neck.

Thanks.

(

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users