Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123982 11-02-2010 08:07 AM
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I am just wondering if anyone has had experience with mets to bone from oral cancer.

We've already dealt with mets to both lungs and next on the treatment list is a spot on the pelvis.
Doc said it is bigger than a nickel, but didn't tell my husband how big it is. Our next visit with doc isn't for two weeks, and I of course have a ton of unanswered questions.

Any issues I might need to ask doc about specifically?

Thanks,
Christine

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Christine - yes, Jim's cancer metastized to his bone 2 years ago - it is in his spine, shoulder blades, hip and now his lungs and trachea. The only good thing that I can tell you is that they can radiate the bone areas and kill the tumor that is invading the site...but only once; the bone is weakened from the radiation so if they don't get it then they cannot re-radiate the area (at least that's Jim's case). He did have a partial hip replacement last Feb. as the bone had been radiated and it came back so they replaced the damaged area with a partial hip. Issues - bone pain is incredibly painful, Jim has an extremely high tolerance for pain, so we're lucky in the pain dept. I guess if you can call call anything lucky about this dreaded diseas.

Hope this helps.
Paula

Caregiver to Husband 50 yrs.young-non smoker/non-drinker; Stage IV - all treatments stopped August 2009
Lost the battle November 23, 2010
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thank you Paula, that offers me some hope.
I haven't been able to find much about bone mets. online, and what I could find was grim. I was very scared. I understand exactly what you mean about being lucky withing such circumstances.
We have to take what small victories we can.
I finally got him an appointment with his oncologist for Thursday morning to discuss the bone growth.

Thanks again
Christine

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37