Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi guys,

So I'm now on 25 Fetanyl patch down from 50. I'm suffering from all the side effects - sweating, shakiness, insomnia etc , I think the Aptivan I was on was prescribed for this reason and now Im not on the Aptivan anymore the insomnia is killing me. I'm seeing my MO on tues and thinking of going back on it so I can get some rest so i can wean myelf of the fetanyl patches. The temazapam I'm taking is giving me 4 hrs a night max. The question I have is - is it a good idea to go back on the Aptivan since it's so addictive and have side effects too? I know that some of you were on Aptivan so I was wondering how you wean yourself of it? I was thinking that maybe I would only take it once every 2-3 days since I need it purely to counter the effects of Fetanyl rather than for anxiety or depression. I'm happy to say I think I'm out if that big black hole! Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Eric, that's for telling me about those drugs website. I was thinking of weaning myself if the Fetanyl patch by slowly cutting a bit of it every time I change it but then I read on the website that this was dangerous and could accelerate the realease of it. Thank god I read it!! Thanx again

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Minh
Just short and sharp cos I am supposed to be elsewhere but lorazepam and temazepam are mostly the same thing - they are both benzodiazapines (benzos. Strikes me that you need something to keep you asleep rather than the short acting benzos.
I am not a doctor but a nurse from a very long time ago so don't take my word for it and ask your doctor about all this (it is too complicated for me).

Managing pain medication is really complex which is why they have doctors and nurses dedicated to pain managment. Ask if there is a "Pain Managment Team" at your hospital and see if they can have a look at what you are on and what you should be on.

good luck, will try to get back to you later.

Karen

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912