Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PJ Offline OP
OP Offline

I have posted b/4 several years ago..had base of tongue cyst removed-benign. I have severly fissured tongue and have recurrent sore burning areas on tip of tongue..also have problems with sides of tongue getting inflammed etc so get checked every year ...i am having a recurrence of the burning tongue problem which prompted me to look under the tongue...that little area called wharton's duct has dark purpleish raised bumps...irregular shaped...not big...size of head of a straighpen..they overlap..not due for check up until December...wondering if should go early? Not sore, ..opinions please...thanks so much

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Regardless of your history, the rule to go by is that if you have had a sore in your mouth for over 2 weeks then get it checked out. There are many different things that could be going wrong in yoru mouth, most are harmless.

If it bothers you then get your appointment moved up. When in doubt, check it out is something I always go by. Its next to impossible to be able to give an opinion over the internet. Its also difficult to know where you are coming from without seeing a signature. Thats why signatures on here are so helpful. If you only post once every couple of years, we would have an understanding of what you went thru before. It makes it much easier to answer your questions and help without going back and reading all your old posts. To add a signature, go under the "My Stuff" tab and type in the box on the bottom. Another thing I was curious about, you used the word recurrance which is normally used when a cancer patient gets another tumor. Have you previously had oral cancer or just the benign cyst? Recurrance is a very very scary term around here. Im not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to find out where you are coming from so we can help.

I hope you do not have anything wrong. Best wishes.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Here is an exerpt from one of Brian Hill's posts. It might help....

[quote]99.9% of people develop some kind of abnormality in their mouth about once a month. Of course they are mostly not serious and resolve on their own with or without treatment in a couple of weeks. If this thing is still around in 2-3 weeks, time to go to the dentist to have it checked out. [/quote]...Brian Hill

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ask yourself one simple question: what's the worst that could happen if you go early and then ask the same question if you go late. We know that the worst possible thing is a diagnosis of cancer. So when would it be best to know for sure - now or later?

No brainer really isn't it?

But of course you know the most likely scenario is it will be nothing so you need to weigh up maybe feeling a bit foolish over the feeling of certainty and relief.

Still a no brainer. Go now, put your mind at rest.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
PJ Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry..I am not a professional poster...I didnt know there were formal rules here...I used the word "recurrance" for the burning tongue problem...it is a "recurrance" of that problem..i never indicated I had cancer. Also if you click on my initials you see all previous posts so I dont understand the "signature" issue...will not bother you folks again..thanks

I first posted a fiery response since I feel you owe Christine an apology. However cancer is fearsome, even if you don't have its so I have edited it all away.
BTW, I did read all your prior posts since 2002 and am amazed how patient every OCF poster has been with you. To end on a positive note, I'll help you understand the "signature issue"
- it's a courtesy we extend to each other so we don't have to "click on the initials and read all your prior posts".
It's not a bother to help, but since you have been an OCF member for 9 years, Christine's suggestion of a signature does not seem to merit the tone of your response,

Last edited by Charm2017; 10-27-2010 05:34 PM. Reason: toned it down

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard