Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello everyone- have not been here in a while! On 10/8 I had a wide resection of the left floor of the mouth and modified neck dissection on left. The good news is that there was no cancer in the nodes, no cancer in the periosteum of the jaw, and the margins were clear! I am to meet with a radiation oncologist here on Wed. as radiation is recommended due to recurrence rate of the type of CA I have. At least the radiation will only have to be to the mouth area and not neck.

I was on full liquids until this past Wed., when I was told I could eat whatever does not cause pain. I was also told to chew on both sides of my mouth as I was trying to make everything stay on the right. I have no feeling or taste on the left side of my tongue plus my tongue seems swollen on the left and is now attached to the floor of the mouth on the left side. I find I really have to think when I chew because I keep inadvertently chewing on my tongue to the point where it is raw when I look in the mirror. My surgeon says I will eventually regain both tastebuds and sensation, although I will probably lose taste first due to radiation. I also cannot open my mouth very wide. I keep trying and it just will only open so far. I've even tried pulling it open further with my fingers!

I had asked surgeon about speech therapy but she did not recommend it. However, I am still wondering if it would not be helpful. Also, the left side of my neck is so tight, it makes it hard to turn my head. Is there any excercise to do to help with that? Or does it just take time?

Also wondering if it is normal to get tired so easily still? I feel like I should be able to get up and go but find I run out of steam quickly. I was in fairly good health before all of this!

Susan
Age 51, married with four kids age 11-18, 9/1/2010, Bx: high grade mucoepidermoid CA left sublingual gland.
10/8/2010, wide excision left floor of mouth, modified radical node dissection left neck.
T1N0M0. IMRT started 11/22.
Never smoked, light social drinker
Also happen to be ICU RN
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Ssusan,

I had 1/3 of my tongue removed in March and have just finished radiation and chemo 7 weeks ago. I did not have a neck dissection but i can only put 2 fingers in my mouth. There are excercise you can do to help you open your mouth, highly recomend it as it gets worse apparently if you dont. Look up under "trismus" on this website and there will be plenty of info.

I'm still tired now. Somedays i feel good but other days i could lie in bed all day. All normal apparently. Good luck with your treatment.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Welcome back Susan! Glad to see that you're hanging in there!

I had went to my nurse practitioner for something else about 3 months after surgery and she sent me to PT and a speech evaluation. I was good with the speech and the PT helped me tremendously. I'm just not sure if it's too soon for PT or is there no such thing as "too soon".

Patty
08-10-09 Partial Glossectomy w/suprahyoid neck dissection
SCC T1NOMX Stage I | 46 years old
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

i had the speech therapist seeing me while i was still in hospital after the operation- maybe 10 days .

45 yrs. peg tube jan 07/09 TOTAL GLOSSECTOMY jan 12/09
T3NOscc oral(ex smoker )
open tracheostomy , removed oct 12/09
modified neck dissection lymph nodes I to IV
rectus abdominal flap + full dental removal
30 day radiation treatment ,diagnosed with lung cancer oct 2011
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I think a speech therapist would be helpful for yo especially at first. I had so many different ones because they kept quitting that I got tired of working with new people al the time.

The best speech therapy is getting to talk to different people and also reading and singing outloud. I used to record myself and play it back and try and improve that way. Massage and yoga are great for the neck. I also go to a chiropractor too. It just takes time. Honestly yoga has been the best for the neck.

Hang in there and try and be patient smile Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
OP Offline

Thanks guys! I am particularly concerned about the trismus, esp. after reading radiation can make it worse!! I'm wondering if that is something the rad. onc. would order PT for-- I see him Wed. My surgeon is four hours away in Tampa. I can't take a bite out of a sandwich unless I smash it flat to get between my teeth!

Susan
Age 51, married with four kids age 11-18, 9/1/2010, Bx: high grade mucoepidermoid CA left sublingual gland.
10/8/2010, wide excision left floor of mouth, modified radical node dissection left neck.
Also happen to be ICU RN
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Your regular doctor can order PT or Speech therapy. Call them and ask for a referral to be submitted and then check Tricare for the approval.

Patty
08-10-09 Partial Glossectomy w/suprahyoid neck dissection
SCC T1NOMX Stage I | 46 years old
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I really don't think there is a normal for recovery. Maybe in a few areas tho.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

[quote=fullofquestions]
Also wondering if it is normal to get tired so easily still? I feel like I should be able to get up and go but find I run out of steam quickly. I was in fairly good health before all of this! [/quote]

If it helps at all, I'm three weeks post not nearly as big a surgery as you've had, and I'm zonked. I find I can do one thing a day, maybe two if I take a nap in between. So I either fold laundry *or* go to the grocery store. I either go have a massage *or* I clean the bathroom.

Things have improved markedly as my intake has improved. I don't know about you, but I lost 20 lbs in the first 20 days after surgery, just because nothing was working very well.

Remember: We're always telling the patients that we transfer out of the ICU that it's going to be a long road, and to be patient. It's our turn to hear that now (darn it). Just keep eating (that's the most important thing) and increasing your activity slowly, like we're always telling other people!

Polymorphic Low-Grade Adenocarcinoma (PLGA), dx'ed 9/10. Surgery 10/20/10--resection of soft palate and right hard palate. Of the 36,000 oral cancers dignosed in a year, I get the one that sounds like a golf tournament. Sheesh.
OP Offline

I feel pretty much back to normal except for not being able to feel the left side of my tongue or taste on that side. I keep chewing my tongue up pretty good (guess it is a good thing I can't feel it, cause it would really hurt!). I am actually going back to work in two days! Jumping right back in-- doing 12 hour shifts Friday and Saturday. My radiation oncologist is still developing "the plan"-- I had the simulation last Thursday and then he wanted an MRI today due to artifact from dental work on the CT. Now the plan is to start radiation 11/22. I feel so normal I keep wondering if I really need to go through this. . . not looking forward to it at all!

Susan
Also happen to be ICU RN

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members