Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am sure I am overreacting, but I have a swelling on the right side of my neck and face that is not only swollen and hard but also does not allow me to open my mouth. I can just enough to fit small pieces of food in and that is all. I am hoping this will end soon! I have a follow-up appt. with my doc on Wed and hope I can open my mouth without pain by then...otherwise I may need to cancel. My Radiation Oncologist said this is expected due to 60 Lymphnodes being removed...but just want to know if any of you have any experiences with this.

Thank you

32 Yrs. Male
Diagnosed 3/17/10
SCC right side of tongue stage 2
Surgery 4/20/10
Right hemiglossectomy
Right selective neck dissection levels 1-4
Right anterolateral thigh free flap
Tracheotomy
31 radiation treatments
Nov. PET and CT showed something, hopefully nothing awaiting confirmation
"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hi,
Gordon has had swelling under the skin in front of his neck and especially the side where he had the neck dissection. In his case, it's lymphodema and apparently it will go away eventually. The lymphatic fluid (?) can't drain properly due to damage to existing lymph nodes and also because some have been removed. I don't know if this is what you have, but it's good that you're getting it checked out soon. It really helps to know what you're dealing with and then you don't worry quite as much. Hope you get some answers. Anne

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.
OP Offline

Thanks Anne for your input! I still have the swelling but it seems to have gone down some...I put ice on it only for 15 min at a time during the day and evening and also gently massage the swelling. It seems to help, but very slowly. I hope the fact that I cannot open my mouth to well is because of the swelling. I have been told to keep doing my mouth and jaw exercises and I have...but it's kinda difficult with the swelling.

-Matt

32 Yrs. Male
Diagnosed 3/17/10
SCC right side of tongue stage 2
Surgery 4/20/10
Right hemiglossectomy
Right selective neck dissection levels 1-4
Right anterolateral thigh free flap
Tracheotomy
31 radiation treatments
Nov. PET and CT showed something, hopefully nothing awaiting confirmation
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Matt,
If you do have lymphedema, I believe there are lymphedema therapists who specialize in treating it, and while they won't be able to "cure" it, the treatment can reduce the swelling and give you some relief. I understand the body has to build new pathways to drain the lymph fluid naturally, and this takes some time (I think Gordon's surgeon said either 1 or 2 years - can't remember!). Let us know what your Dr. thinks the swelling is. Anyway, it sounds like what you're doing right now is helping (and is probably a lot cheaper).
I have to say that all Gordon's doctors thought lymphedema therapy was a waste of time, but they're looking at the situation from a different perspective and don't have to live with the discomfort every day. Anne

Last edited by Elianne; 10-05-2010 02:19 PM. Reason: Added comment

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.

hi, i know its been awhile since youve posted under this topic, but i was just wondering how your swelling is and what the doctor said about it? my dad had his big surgery on december 7, and about 6days ago he looked great, and now the last few days his face is red and swollen, especially on his right side.. thank you and i hope all is great for you!

Dad-55 yrs..2/2010-DX/March 2010-Induction Chemo/35Rads 7weeks concurrent with chemo once every 3weeks/6/2010-Treatments completed-October 2010-Recurrence/December 2010-salvage surgery/clear Margins/July 2011-recurrence/weekly Erbitux treatments-5/30/12, last erbitux..
Painfree and rested 6/19/12

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users