Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
susand Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I'm in my 6th week/ and will be finished Sept 7. So far no major pain or swallowing issues. I did try my peg tube out once, but am finding the Carnation VHC a more effecient way of getting nutrition. I'm down 10 lbs and they want to minimize further weight loss.

My question is--can you tell me about the month post treatment? I have heard that it can be pretty bad, as my mouth will "keep cooking" but want to have some idea what to expect. I know the old taste buds won't be returning right away, but it'd be nice if a month out I had some taste back.

Susan/59/nonsmoker /tonsil cancer spread to tongue,stage III diagnosed 6/10, HPV+ T3,N1 Finished 35 radiation and 7 cisplatin 9/7/10.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sounds like you are doing really well, Susan. It's great that the Carnation VHC is working so well for you. Of course everyone is different but you have done so well so far, you will probably have an easier time of it than some others have had. My son lost about 20 lbs and there were times, in the waiting room when I thought his jeans would fall off him as I watched him walk slowly towards the Tx room. It was worse right after Tx ended but it was some relief for him not having to go for treatments any more. His taste buds came back at different times and from different places on his tongue. Sometimes his taste was sharper than before, for example with salt. When he was sipping chicken broth, he insisted it had too much salt in it even though I had bought the low sodium kind! His taste buds came back slowly and for different foods. It was always interesting to me to hear how different some things tasted to him and how it changed from day to day.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Susan

You are doing very well with maintaining yourself without using the feeding tube. Make sure you flush it daily even if you arent using it. The next few weeks will unfortunately get progressively worse. After rad is finished, it takes about 2 - 3 weeks before you start to feel a little better. As far as your sense of taste goes, it can take up to 2 years before it is finished recouperating. I started to regain it after about 3 months post tx. You are doing great, best of luck with your treatments and recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I can only tell you about my experience about your remaining time. I continued to get weaker; nothing really helped my nausea so some days I went without any net influx of water or calories. Net meaning what I swallowed vs what came back up. That led to severe dehydration and the Big C (constipation) which was a painful time to say the least. During my say last week of Tx and the 2 weeks following I got IV's 3 times and even enjoyed a hospital stay of 2 or 3 days. They finally convinced me to have a nasal tube installed and that got me back on the road to calories and hydration. Only had it for a week (?) but it sure made a difference for my sorry stubborn butt. Also I lost my7 voice for about a week; lost the hair on the back of my neck and my whiskers from my chin down ( hair came back but not the whiskers); developed the thick mucous stage which lasted about 2 weeks and then came the dreaded dry mouth stage which lasts until you fully recover and then you'll see what percent of your taste and saliva will return. That recovery for me took all of 2 years and that's the physical recovery. The mental recovery is probably the rest of our life but it's not all bad because it does put some things into a rewarding perspective.

I hope none of these things happen to you but rest assured that if they do you will survive them all. Also don't get frustrated during your slow recovery as it does take a long time for your body to heal.

Good luck!!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
susand Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, David. I appreciate hearing about your experience. Will keep on working on my recovery.

Susan/59/nonsmoker /tonsil cancer spread to tongue,stage III diagnosed 6/10, HPV+ T3,N1 Finished 35 radiation and 7 cisplatin 9/7/10.
susand Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Christine. You've given me so much help through my treatment.

I had my last chemo treatment on a Wednesday and my last radiation treatment on the following Monday. By the Friday after radiation finished I was in the oncology infusion center felling the worst I'd ever felt in my life, getting two liters of fluid infused. I was in a drugged-out stupor on fentanyl patches and oxycodone and ativan. I took my cans of nutrition through the PEG (which I had previously named My Sharona, so I didn't have to call it "feeding tube" or "PEG") during the day, and infused water at night while I was sleeping. I was sicker than sick, puking all the time. But, after about two weeks post-treatment I started to feel a millimeter better every day.

I hope this isn't too graphic for you, but I thought I'd tell you my experience. You're already doing better than I was at the same stage, so it might not be as bad for you.

If I only knew how to add my info in my signature line I'd do it! But I'm 49 and had SCC BOT diagnosed by a neck bump and directed biopsy's treated by 35 radiation treatments and three doses of Cisplatin at day 1, 21, and day 43. Finished 3/29/10.

Congratulations! You're almost on the recovery side and this is a far preferable place to be. No matter how rough it is!

SCC BOT HPV+ diagnosed via neck bump and directed biopsy's January 2010. PEG in 2/2010. Finished 35 radiation treatments and 3 doses Cisplatin March 29, 2010. PEG out 6/2010.

Sharon - to put the signature info just click on "My Stuff" at the top of this page, click on "Profile" and then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and in the box that says "Signature" just type your name and whatever other info you want to. Then click on "Preview" to make sure it's ok, and then don't forget to click on "Submit" and your done!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Susan,

During the recovery everything is an experiment. I finished rads about 6 weeks prior to Thanksgiving. I enjoyed a big breakfast that day and some turkey but white pepper in the mashed potatoes nearly knocked me over. Sometimes you must force yourself over the "fear factor". I found lots of things on the salad bar were surprisingly tasty and easy to swallow plus the really helped with digestion. Spinach is my favorite vegetable now. many of my first meals were poached eggs, and eggs over easy with grits and lots of butter. I am back in treatment and one of my mainstays is a medley of green and yellow squash with onions sauteed. When my mouth was recovering from surgery this medley run through the blender was my first "food".
Bill
SoMD.

Bill age 47 at Dx, non-smoker

1st DIAG: 8/06/2008 SCC BOT T4N1M0

2nd Diag 10/14/09 Mets in lungs

3rd diag 06/23/2010 Primary Site malignant
Hemi-glossectomy July 2

In surveillance post re-IMRT and Carbo. Lots of scar tissue, hi-FDG Uptake on PET, no lump. Feel Fine, CLEAR for now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23