Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Witty article Charm! That signature line is actually the first time I've ever used the term "fighting". To me it always felt more like a struggle than a battle.
I'm definitely doing the trip, will let you know if I run into any problems.
When I had AIM chemo and all my hair fell out I wore a headscarf. Everyone is EXTRA nice to you when you wear one because they know what it means. I went on two flights, and got upgraded to the emergency exit row both times without asking. Later my husband pointed out that the agents were doing it to be nice. Hey, I'll take what I can get!

Age 36. Four years of fighting Stage 4 Skull Base Cancer
Can't even fit it in the signature line. I've tried it all! 5 surgeries, IMRT, cyberknife, cisplatin, erbitux, AIM, taxotere, carboplatin.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I still have a letter from my doctor at MD Anderson stating that I have the need to drink and carry water and that I need Boost for nutrition. Fortunately, back in the day when I had serious swallowing issues I was able to take my thermos of soup on flights with me without issue. Of course all that changed a couple of years later when TSA disallowed liquids.
Although I have always thrown away my water bottle as I approach the TSA security, for several years I was able to carry a couple of bottles of Boost on the plane, by showing TSA my letter, usually after a short hassle and the calling over of a supervisor. One time they made me angry and I threatened to file suit on them under the Americans With Disabilities Act. Although I still would prefer to carry a couple of bottles of Boost on the plane, as I still drink it for morning and afternoon snacks, I can eat and swallow well enough that I don't really need it anymore so I have just given up the fight.
Of course it is better to be polite, but occasionally it does not hurt to mention the Americans With Disabilities Act. After a judge in a town nearby allowed his bailiff to throw me out of court for refusing to give up my water bottle,(I am a lawyer) even after I explained that it was for medical reasons, and pulled out my M.D. Anderson letter to show him, I sent a letter threatening to file suit under the Act, and received a letter of apology.

Last edited by digtexas; 08-16-2010 04:17 PM.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Digitexas

Thanks for confirming what I believe to be the usual experience with TSA for cancer patients. I've kept the ADA in my bag of tricks if I were ever hassled in restaurants with those "NO outside food or drinks allowed, NO exceptions" signs but even on the Boardwalk at Seaside Heights this weekend when I visited, I haven't had any problems bringing my jevity in. (Guess they didn't want a "situation" - admittedly a bad Jersey Shore pun)
Clearly the TSA violates the spirit of the ADA every day in the way they treat cancer patients like us but the letter of the ADA only gives us "reasonable accommodation" not respect nor common sense courtesy. Good for you on educating that judge.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Gosh, maybe I will bring a doctor's letter just in case. If they make me throw out the Ensure I will survive, but it's good to know I can bring the liquid vicodin. No way am I putting that in a checked bag, it could get stolen. We are going to Las Vegas, not to gamble, just to lay by the pool, have drinks and read books and relax. My husband can sip a gin and tonic, and I'll sip Ensure coffee flavor over ice....

Last edited by Mel_in_CA; 08-16-2010 05:06 PM.

Age 36. Four years of fighting Stage 4 Skull Base Cancer
Can't even fit it in the signature line. I've tried it all! 5 surgeries, IMRT, cyberknife, cisplatin, erbitux, AIM, taxotere, carboplatin.

A doctors note Is unlikely to work. Such a document could be easily created. For some reason I do not get targeted for special attention which is a good thing. Last time they did, they took away my laser pointer, it was quite a while ago, when the green ones just became available. .... Yes that is my light saber, young Jedi. ... And this did not help either.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
OP Offline

Melissa

If your Vicodin is in the original prescription bottle and has your name on it, you should not have any problem. I had Zero problems with my weeks worth of Percocet and other pills.
As for the doctor's note, all I did was email my doctor with a suggested letter and she just mailed it to me.
As Markus noted, the classic Star Wars ObiWan mind tricks don't seem to work on the TSA troopers, and in fact the one earnest TSA guy who tested my jevity for explosives didn't even get my" These are not the cans you are looking for" joke.
You're so young, I've put a link here to the video clip of the famous scene ObiWan mind tricks on Troopers
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

That NEVER worked for me, of course now many people have droids!!!
In all fairness, I would not do this job. It must be mind boggling boring, punctuated by the occasional smart ass. (I.e. When charm or I are flying)
...also it is probably not smart to point out that they missed a spot when they swipe your briefcase for explosive residues. Especially when you work in a laboratory.

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.

As I mentioned earlier, my Doctor's letter usually worked in getting a couple of bottles of Boost through security, but later on, the trade-off became that sometimes in exchange for allowing me to take it, they insisted on hand patting me down. Being one who can get angry at such antics and not having a lot of respect for these type of authority figures, rather than get in arguments with them and tell them how stupidly they were acting, I simply gave up the fight. But again, I don't really need the stuff anymore. I just like it for a snack on the plane rather than getting my teeth full of dry pretzels or crackers, which take me a lot of water to wash down. If I really needed a med or nutritional aid like some of you do, I would probably raise all kinds of Hell.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
OP Offline

If you think TSA is bad now, here is a news story from 2008 about how TSA endangered the life of child who has a surgical feeding tube in his stomach by opening up his backup tube, contaminating it. The child pleaded with the TSA officer, who said that she had to open it or refuse to allow the child to board the plane. After an Orlando television station investigated the story, the TSA agreed to look into the incident. TSA decided it was okay apparently
TSA feeding tube must be opened
Heck even the TSA web site warns you that for any medical device you can be screened or patted down at will [quote]You have the right to refuse the offer of a private screening; however, you will need to allow the screening to be conducted publicly if you wish to proceed beyond the security checkpoint.[/quote] But the good news is that
[quote]Security Officers should not be asking you to remove your orthopedic shoes, appliances, or medical device (insulin pump, feeding tube, ostomy or urine bag, or exterior component of cochlear implant) at any time during the screening process.
[/quote] Notice that the operative words here are "should not be' implying some TSA troopers will.
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

I flew a couple a months ago and the peg was not noticed at all and I just put the jevity in my checked luggage. Thanks for the heads up though, I will just go hungry if I take a longer trip rather than try to carry it on. I don't understand making you pour it down the tube, did they think it was poison? I've never heard of a plane being highjacked with poison. I do have a question though, I am never hungry or full, in fact I must put five cans on the counter every morning I would forgot I had any, or used enough. Do you get hungry?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users