Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#119435 07-14-2010 10:27 PM
OP Offline

For the last three months now I've had a variety of conditions occurring on the tongue. Tip of tongue sensitive, little white bumps on one side, funny feeling in back corner of mouth. None of it particularly painful and Bonjela often numbs it for me. A symptom may last a week or so and then disappear.. I just went two weeks without any symptoms but now its returned.

I went to dentist today who saw back right of the tongue to be red and inflamed and wanted to refer me to oral surgeon so he could have a look. Dentist mentioned the C word when talking to me which frightened me somewhat as I wasn't expecting it and now I have to endure 2 week wait until my appointment with oral surgeon.

How do OC symptoms generally progress.. do they get worse and worse and affect larger areas as time goes on.. or can they come and go for periods at a time?

Dentist said I have a lot of erosion in back corner of mouth on teeth and could be leading to general poor health in that area but I'm still pretty nervous.

Thoughts?

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Chris. Welcome to OCF. I hope that you do not have to be a member of this group. From what I experienced, my symptoms did not come and go. The tumor got progressively worse as time went on. There are many other things that could be going on with your tongue. Check out some info on the main OCF pages. There is a search function there as well as pictures of different mouth problems.

To ease your mind, if you have a sore that does not go away within 2 or 3 weeks then its time to get it biopsied. Only a biopsy will tell if it is cancerous. You said your sores go away, so lets hope that you do not have anything seriously wrong.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Once a visible sign of it develops, OC is unlikely to come and go as a rule. This is likely something else, but you are on the right path. An oral surgeon can take a very small piece of the area, and a pathologist will give you a black and white, gold standard answer as to what's what.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thanks Christine & Brian. I have been to the dentist and they have referred me to Oral Surgeon for his examination.. in 4 days time.

Dentist said there is a small red, inflamed area in the far back of the mouth on the tongue and she said its right up against where one of my wisdom tooth protrudes out slightly - she suspects it is the tooth aggravating it. She however would prefer biopsy done for peace of mind of all concerned.

I feel a bit ridiculous for posting in here amongst all you people that are living/surviving with this - but the fear that has set in is unlike anything I've experienced before. Just the fact that it's a possibility and that a biopsy has been recommended scares the crap out of me.

"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Chris,
No one needs to feel ridiculous for posting here. Your are understandably scared and looking for answers and you will have one in 4 days....a little longer if they need to take a biopsy.
Hope it all turns out well for you. Please let us know when you find out.

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

there are no dumb questions.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Chris - it's so good that you have come here. It's the best place to be to get the very best in oral cancer information. The waiting part is really scary but you've taken positive steps already in getting an appointment with the oral surgeon. There may not be anything seriously wrong but it is better to find out. In my son's case, his tongue sore did not come and go - it just got progressively worse until the pain that accompanied it was so bad he final saw a dentist and then an oral surgeon. And he's doing just great, now! Please do let us know how you are doing.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Chris, do not worry about joining this board. You have come to the right place to get some help with what you are going thru. The fears you are experiencing have happened to all of us and we understand. Best of luck with your test next week, hope it turns out to be nothing. Here in the US it takes about a week to get the results back. Be strong and try your best to go about your regular routines while waiting.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Just got back from oral surgeon and he says discomfort is in my gums relating to impacting of wisdom tooth and recurring low grade gum infection, tongue looks normal. Wants to take wisdom teeth out.

Thank you for the support I received here and I wish all of the very best in your journeys.

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Great news Chris... so glad it's nothing serious

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users