Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Just thought after commenting about others I should update all you wonderful peolple about me.

On Friday I went for a regular checkup with my MO. She found something that was not making her happy and to make a long story short...an excisional biopsy followed. I do my own exams on a daily basis but missed something I don't think I should have, once it was pointed out I cringed.
Recurrence has always been in the back of my mind but now is driving me out of my mind. I'll get the pathologists wet report on Tuesday but that seems so far away.
I just want to let all of you know that now matter how thorough and diligent and confident you are that all is OK. You need to have your follow-up.
I'm scared as hell all over again and may not be around much. I know It's only been brief but I have learned more than I have contributed.
Until Tuesday,
Live Strong,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

I will privately PM you, but I just wanted to say that we are all in your corner and I love the fact that you have "jumped" in so enthusiastically (sp?). Your insight, though brief, has been helpful and enlightening. It has to mean a lot that you have touched so many people's lives; isn't that what it's all about?
Annie

Senior Member (100+ posts)

Jeepers Mike
I just want to say whatever the outcome It ain't over by a long shot but of course you are scared! I just spent a week with an elephant in the room due to a questionable xray? and he has been dismissed. Whether your elephant has left or we gear up for a storm you should reconsider being here! From what I have read you are an adament advocate ditto Annie M!!! GOOD((((thoughts))))

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.

thinkin' of you, Mike.....the waiting is soso hard, especially for those of you who know so much. Try to say "in neutral"....HA!.....and try to stay busy and Tuesday will finally get here. I hope then that you can breathe a great sigh of relief.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
OP Offline

Well,
Would be nice if I'd take my own advice. Didn't sleep much last night so read the whole site basically. I'm a little better now and not so wired.
Tuesday is Tuesday and until then, until they say cancer it's not.
Just have to be positive and deal with things as they come. No point in assuming.
Thanks folks.
Annie, deni, August;
Pretty sure you all should slap me gotta practice what I preach.

Say some prayers and I'm gonna keep hanging around.
Thanks for the wakeup call.

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

We're all pulling for you Dr. Mike....whatever happens Tuesday we all hope you'll still be in touch. You've already been such a great addition to our family. Lots of prayers going out for you I know.
-Steve J

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.

"I'm a dentist, son, father, brother, cancer survivor, cancer counsellor, patient advocate, friend and a very good listener." Your words my friend, you have no idea how many people have read and felt your presence, or the impact that you have had on us suffering souls that come together, the vast majority of us in silence, seeking words such as yours. The fear of the unknown can and is crippling to most, but a very select few lead the way and share in their experience so some of us less dynamic personalities can be at peace with our burdens. All of us are scared, fear is a part of our new norm. It's how we handle the fear and channel our energies that decides the quality of our time. You my friend are in my thoughts and well wishes, be as strong and courageous as you have been, please do not change. We all share in each others circumstance of fate.

SCC, dx July 2006,Stage II,front third of tongue, surgery Oct 16, 2006, radical neck dissection, 20 lymph nodes removed right side negative, tongue resection,IMRT Dec.2006-Jan.2007 45X,T2N0M0, no chemo. Roswell Park Cancer Institute Buffalo, NY.
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Mike, You're dealing with what all of us fear, perhaps our biggest fear. The advice given by so many is sound; "it's not cancer until the pathology confirms it is". You know that, as do we all, but it is hard to put into practice when the possibility goes from being abstract and becomes all too real.

I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed, hoping and praying that it's likely nothing. Let us know, eh?
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06

Hi Mike,
I'm sorry to read that you are going through all of this. Fear and waiting are miserable, to say the least. I'll pray for peace of mind for you, and healing of course. On the bright side--at least you go for your follow ups and caught this right away. Look forward to hearing from you.
Donna

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.

Hi Mike,

Uggghhh, I hate Fridays that Suck!!!

Here's praying for a Terrific Tuesday for you and your family...and, for peace of mind from now until then.

And, I was glad to see your second post here..because you are right...until they say it's cancer, it's NOT!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics