Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Emily- Praying for your Mom and sending good thoughts....

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Emily, How is your mom doing today. Been thinking about you both.

Dodie

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.
EmilyE Offline OP
OP Offline

i just talked to my step dad..she cant do the study. it can cause hemorrhaging so since she bled like that theyre afraid it will happen to her.
so now shes going to do chemo today. shell go back to see them next thursday so they can see how her body is handling it. depending on how she does on the chemo, they could try her on another study. she may come home to finish all of the chemo b/c its once every three weeks.

now i have to pray that this CHEMO saves her. what a shot in the dark. i guess if it sustains her for a few months and shes doing okay, she can get on a different study.

i just give up. i cant believe it. chemo sucks i know its not going to help. sometimes i wish she had just passed away in a car crash or something. this is absolutely awful. just a long slow painful death, and right when i find out im pregnant. im trying so hard to save her and nothing is working frown frown

my mom, age 59.

12/08 surgery & 33x rad
4/09 recurrence
5/09 surgery & 35x rad
12/09 recurrence
1/10 surgery. peg tube, trach, fibula free flap
6/10 recurrence. double chemo treatments.
8/10/10 finally at peace in heaven

Oh girl. I'm so so sorry. Must have been very dissapointing news to hear. Well. another member here's wife was on Chemo for almost a year an a half and she handled it well. They did some travelling and she was in pretty good health and spirits for awhile. Its all very individual how people's bodies react.... sometimes it can help with shrinking the tumors so she might have less pain. Yes there are certainly side effects to deal with but she could try it and see how she reacts to it.

I'm sure this has all just been a lot to comprehend and deal with on so many levels.. My heart goes out to you Emily. I can only imagine how incredibly difficult this is. My mom had cancer too and it was just very hard... the whole experience all around. I wish there was something that could be done to make things different and to cure her for good. Its just awful to see the person you love so much go through something like this. Well hopefully they can get her symptoms and side effects from this under control soon and her pain under control so she's not uncomfortable.

I know this is an terrible time but maybe somehow during this ordeal you can find some meaningful moments with your mom. Just try and be as positive as you can.Try and relax and just be there for your mom as her treatment continues. You have precious cargo aboard now smile I wish I had more words of comfort and wish that things could be different.
Sending you guys love.... You mom sounds like a wonderful person.

KATE

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /

Surviving!!!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Emily, you are a wonderful daughter. Please relax and know that there isnt anything you yourself can do to change this. You have taken her to the best doctors and thats as much as you could do. Never ever beat yourself up over this.

Now its up to her and the doctors on how things will go from here. Im sorry that I dont have more experience with things like this. All we can do is hope and pray that she responds well to the chemo and possibly is able to be in the other trial. The chemo could give her alot more time.

Im so sorry that you didnt have better news. I am saying my prayers for Freida, and you too smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Emily,
You are a wonderful daughter and have done all you can do. Do not beat yourself up over this. I will be praying for your mom and family. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi, Emily -
Saving your mother is not your gift to give, but what you are giving is precious. I gave up my husband and kids for a month to be with my mother during her stay in Houston - it was supposed to be 2 weeks, max. No one came to spell me, and I had no guarantees she would return (she did). As I look back, I wouldn't have had it any other way.
You are in my thoughts.

Marlene

Marginal mandibulectomy 6/17/08 resulted in DX of Stage I SCC - gingiva (3 mm) right mandible, buccal side. Clear margins. Occasional social drinker. Smoked last cigarette in 1979. Clear pet: 12/08; 7/20/09. Yay!

Hi Emily- Hope you are doin' OK despite the circumstances. k

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /

Surviving!!!
EmilyE Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Kate, thanks for thinking of me.

things have been quiet the past week. she is extremely tired from the chemo; shes on a combination therapy. i keep telling her its better to be tired than violently ill, right? its hard to really talk to her and get the full story of whats going on over there. or how shes feeling. its like pulling teeth to get answers out of my stepdad as he is a very...lets just say, quiet person.

the day she was scheduled to start chemo, she had to go the ER. her cancer had an infection! she had a fever. they gave her iv antibiotics and saline and kept her overnight. she left ER at 6:30am and had to come back a few hours later for the 6 hour chemo

i emailed her yesterday and told her to check her email and we can communicate better that way. but she never fully joined the computer/email bandwagon so her checking email or using the computer is once in a blue moon.

i just miss her a lot and shes really homesick. last time i talked to her she said she just wanted to get back to some sort of normalcy but i know if she rushes to get home, we'll just wish she was back there where we know shes in good hands. its hard for me to be happy about baby without her here. i have my inlaws and my dad but its not the same. if she were here we'd already be out visiting every baby store in sight but i havent done a thing or gone anywhere. i guess i need to get over that.
we did have our first ultrasound 2 days ago and we heard/saw the little heartbeat! ive had two miscarriages and we never saw the heartbeat with those two - they both ended around 6 weeks. so it was unreal to actually hear that. it was the best thing thats happened in a long time! im estimated at about 7 weeks.

anyway for now im just WAITING (because again, stepdad doesnt call) to hear when her next scan is. i know shes doing lab work on the 20th because she has to lab work before each treatment so i assume shes doing another treatment around the end of the month.

my mom, age 59.

12/08 surgery & 33x rad
4/09 recurrence
5/09 surgery & 35x rad
12/09 recurrence
1/10 surgery. peg tube, trach, fibula free flap
6/10 recurrence. double chemo treatments.
8/10/10 finally at peace in heaven
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Please hang in there. I know it's hard. My mom had chemo and radiation after her last big surgery. The chemo wore her out but thankfully, she wasn't sick all the time from it. Radiation was much harder on her than the chemo. She came out of it for the better and I'm praying that your mom will too. There are a lot of ups and downs with this stuff - as much as you love your mom and want to make it all good for her, that is not in your hands. You've done a great job as a daughter so keep up the good work. Also, take good care of yourself - you may be having a daughter who'll be just as good as you are!

Nancy T

CG/Mom: 5 1/2 years SCC upper palate,4 recurrences, surgeries, chemo & radiation. Mom went to Heaven 1/21/11.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics