Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

So post surgery and 2 rounds of radiation I am left with EIGHT - count 'em 8 teeth - front lower. Implants are not an option nor is a bottom denture due to where my tongue now lives and what all has happened to my gums.

My dentist has done his damndest to see that I keep these 8 teeth. I have now had 7 root canals and 7 crowns. My dental plan is maxed out for this year so we knew we couldn't get that 8th one in - when today as I was eating mashed potatoes (go figure).....IT FELL OUT. The root part is left in my mouth -just the whole top of the tooth came out. So much for fixing that tooth.

So I just sat down and had a good old pity party and cried and cried and cried. I have spent more time in a dentists chair in the last 6 years than I care to think about. And even my Pollyanna - "be thankful for xx and x" did not stop the tears.

I am now a "toothless wonder". Of course, this weekend is my son's g/f's grad. I have a dentist appt for Monday (Oh Joy) but so long as it isn't extreme pain they want to wait till then because my dentist DOESN'T WORK ON FRIDAYS - HE DOESN'T HAVE TO - I AM HIS RETIREMENT PLAN.

Okay........I'm calmer now. Maybe.

Anyone got a tissue??

A soggy Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Donna,

Geez, what next, right? Most of the time when I read your posts you are giving someone else support and positive feedback. I didn't realize that you were having such a tough time with your teeth. I am guessing that the one tooth that fell out is the one that did not get the root canal. You sure have been determined about caring for your mouth. Just wanted to let you know I am in your corner and I send you hugs and....tissues.

Hang in there!
Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Don't assume that that tooth can't be saved. Even if it is broken at the gum line, there could very well be enough root to be kept and after a root canal, (also possiby a crown lenghtening procedure)a post and crown can be made.

Of course, not seeing it and an x-ray, I can't be sure.

Good luck with your appointment.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Jerry you were RIGHT!! (Lord but men like that statement!) This tooth had had a root canal, so they inserted a post of some sort and removed decay and were able to rebuild a tooth using plastic. I have already maxed out my and my husband's dental plan with 2 crowns, so we are going to see if we can nurse this tooth along to January when it can get a crown. I know this is possible as my daughter had her front teeth repaired with plastic when they were broken off by a hockey stick (street hockey), and she still has those plastic teeth at the age of 27 - through braces,etc. The tooth is a bit lower so that it doesn't come in contact with my upper denture. My dentist thinks I don't make anything easy for him, but I told him God sent me to him so that he doesn't get bored.

I have one tooth now that has not had a root canal and crown. They are going to do a filling on it in May and hopefully both that one and the one just repaired can be fixed in 2011.

I am astounded by the amount dentistry costs - I have no idea what I would do without the two dental plans. I was teasing my dentist that after 7 root canals I should get the 8th one free - but he didn't seem to be buying that!

What I do find somewhat surprising was my extreme "sorry for myself" attitude when I lost this tooth. Now that it is replaced, I am happy again. I know others suffer so much worse than a missing tooth. I think having the tooth so obviously missing seemed to advertise my cancer experience, and none of us wants that to be the first thing people think about when they meet us.

All good for now (except for major pain in my gums) - straw removed from camels back!

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

Donna, I bet you still look nice and pretty. Hell. I would settle for 2 teeth. LOL One up and one down. I had a front tooth, when I had teeth that was posted and lasted a few years until I met our friend Mr Oc. That was the 1st one that fell out. Damn other ones played follow the leader until they took them. I feel for you really and understand your concern. I'm not making fun but am on your side. My tooth had 2 posts and another had one. I'll weep with and for you now.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Ah, can't remember the last time I was right!!!!

Now that I'm retired, one of the things that I don't miss is explaining why the cost of dentistry is what it is. However, simply it is that the cost of the supplies are outrageous, laboratory costs re high, the amount of staff that is needed is much more than a physician and unfortunately many of the dental plans don't pay the full amount.

I'm happy that you were able to save the tooth.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users