Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi Everyone,

My name is Nancy and my mom has had 6 surgeries to remove SCC tumors on her tongue over the last 7 years. This time they were able to remove the huge tumor but unfortunately the cancer has spread along her tongue surface. They now want us to meet with the Radiation Dr and her Dr said they will do radiation and chemo for 6 weeks and if that doesnt work they will have to do a total glossectomy. I guess I am scared because she is 79 years old with type 2 diabetes and one cardiac stent. She is in good shape otherwise but the stress is really bringing her down. This is all new to us and I am just looking for support and guidance. I have not slept and just keep thinking about the Dr telling me she needs radiation and chemo over and over again. I have no siblings to help and my dad is in Stage 7 Alzheimers. What do I do to keep mysself together? Were you all overwhelmed at initial DX also? Thank you...Nancy

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Nancy,

I am so sorry that your Mom is facing chemo and rads again. Everything about this cancer is overwhelming. You have come to the right place for support. This is an amazing group of people who can help you get through this difficult time. There is always someone online. Ask questions and gather as much info as you can. You'll feel more empowered. Keep a notebook handy to jot down your questions for the Dr. And get the Nurse Practitioner contact info.

There are others on this site who have had glossectomies and who post regularly. I'm sure that you will hear from them.

Do you have friends that can help? If anyone offers help, take advantage of it. People don't know what to do or say during times like this. Grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, --all the things we do every day can become difficult to manage. You might consider contacting the local chapter of the American Cancer Society, too.

Come here often even if all you need to do is vent. You are not alone! You'll make lots of friends here. Hang in there.

Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections

Nancy,

Sorry to here about your Mom. If your mom can still eat comfortably, try and have her eat as much as she can now. Radiation will make it tough to eat later in her treatment. The doctors will most likely recommend she be fitted with a feeding tube (PEG). Don�t let this freak you out, almost all of us here have gotten one (I went without one and still question that decision).

As treatment progresses, the chemo and radiation will affect her in a number of different way�s. No one can predict the exact effects she will encounter, but the great thing about this site is the fact that the odds are very high that someone here will have experienced even the smallest of side effects and will have some advise and support to give you about how to deal with them (there is strength in numbers).

Feel free to ask any question at any time. Our members are all over the world, and you can get answers and support at almost any hour.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
OP Offline

Thank you Anita and Kelly for your replies. It is good to not feel alone. It is so difficult having so much on my plate but will try to stay positive for mom. I am so glad I found you all.

Hugs...Nancy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics