Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

Yes I meant Susan. There is a Laura that I am also working with. Susan is sending some banners and the City is going to pay to get some made up as well but I will wait until I see what Susan sends me.

Got the dental supplies donated today so all I need is my dentists to pick a Saturday. The City has agreed to advertise once a week for the 4 weeks leading up to the event and they will hang one of the banners they have made across our main street like we do for other city sponsored events.

I believe I will propose that it be called 1st Annual Gulfport Oral Cancer Screening followed by Sponsored by the City of Gulfport and the Oral Cancer Foundation. I may even lop off the 1st Annual part.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

[quote=davidcpa]I may even lop off the 1st Annual part.[/quote]
As an editor by profession, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that, technically speaking, it's not the 1st Annual anything. Annual = yearly, and there wasn't such an event a year ago. wink

The Associated Press stylebook (which most newspapers either use or base their own stylebooks on) notes:
[quote]annual An event cannot be described as annual until it has been held in at least two successive years. Do not use the term first annual. Instead, note that sponsors plan to hold an event annually.[/quote]
Just FYI -- some editors have been known to discard press releases that talk about the "first annual" whatever.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.

Leslie, that's great. Everyone assumes that by using 1st Annual, they're indcating that there will be another one next year. I have learned so much from you over the years.

I'm sure Coucilman David, will appreciate you're input.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

And I thought I knew everything!

Ok so off goes the 1st Annual.

Never heard that before.

So let me get this straight... One can never use 1st Annual because if you can't say Annual until the 3rd year you have well past the 1st anything?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

David --

Remember, this is just newspaper style we're talking about, not Holy Writ. If you want to call it the 1st Annual, go for it.

In common usage (albeit incorrect, according to strict constructionists of the language), calling an event the 1st Annual whatever is understood to mean "the first of what is expected to be an annual event." However ... what if you don't have one next year for some reason, or have another one six months from now? Then calling it the 1st Annual whatever looks a bit silly.

But be advised that whenever the second one is scheduled (or not), calling the first one the 1st Annual may turn off newspaper editors and TV/radio news directors whom you are courting for publicity. You could call it the Inaugural Gulfport Oral Cancer Screening, and play off the sense of celebration associated with that adjective. Or just call it the 1st Gulfport Oral Cancer Screening. Either is accurate, and neither implies a time frame for a second event.

In answer to your question, if you wish to follow AP style: If you do this a year from now, it's the 2nd Annual Gulfport Oral Cancer Screening.

OK, putting my blue pencil away for now. (That shows you how long I've been doing this ...)

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

It always helps to be aware of what the newspapers think.

David

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users