Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

We're exploring a Starbucks' parking lot. The main corporate office in Seattle won't commit, but basically say that it is up to the individual stores, and the strip mall or whatever they are in. We did one at a Starbucks in San Diego with the American College of Prosthodontists who were having their annual meeting in town at the time. There is a system to get in your head here, supplies, seating, rental tables and drapes, table front banners to tell people what's what, people wrangling, handouts, releases for those screened to sign, and referral forms to somewhere for those with a suspicious finding. Again, I urge you to have a conversation with me bout this as we have done a bunch, and have some of this wired.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Better to have too many than not enough. I've done them by myself (not by choice)and people tend to not hang around. I would think that a minimum of three would be a good start. More if you can.

Very few people have any idea that April is special for OC, so I agree 100% with Brian that waiting and doing it not being under pressure, will have a much greater benefit.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

OK OK OK

I get the picture. I'll call. Obviously I am not underestimating this but never doing one before I'm sure there are many details that I may not be aware of. April is a horrible month for me but I'm trying to tie the City into this thing and it just seemed natural for me to use OC Month as a catalyst.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Not to point out the obvious, but make certain your dentists know how to do a proper oral cancer screening. Many do not so you can't just 'let your fingers do the walking' though the yellow pages looking for screeners.

Brian, Are dental hygenists allowed to be screeners? Some of them do better scrrenings than some dentists.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Eileen,

I'll answer that. Hygienists can do screenings. I know of many that have picked up OC, but they would obviously have to refer a patient to a doc for a biopsy. I actually am more confident having my screening done by my hygienists.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

My oral screening is really shaping up.

So far I have locked up using our cities' Walgreens parking lot on a Sat in May yet to be determined. They will also advertise it on their electronic signs. I have also tied in the City of Gulfport who will supply the man power, the tents, banners, etc. I have secured the services of 3 local dentists. I have a committment from Moffitt that they will man a table and display their services and answer questions. My RO, Dr Trotti, also told me today that he may partisipate and bring that dreaded scope. I have talked to Laura and have started to recieve OCF display material. Still waiting to hear back from the dental supplier. All I need now is for my dentists to pick a sat in May.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

David,

After reading your post, the song "Taking Care of Business", by Bachman Turner Overdrive seemed appropriate.

Taking care of business, every day
Taking care of business, every way
I've been taking care of business, it's all mine
Taking care of business and working overtime.

(I would have put that in the quote box but I don't know how).

Congress could learn from you on how to get things accomplished quickly and efficiently.

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections

That is truly amazing. Even I couldn't have done that so fast.

Don't forget the release form and patient questionaire.

Megan should be able to provide those. If not let me know.

Jerry

Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

Thanks all and thanks Jerry for the reminder. Laura was supposed to have already e mailed me those so I'll e her again this am.

Do these things get names? I mean what should it be called?

1st Annual Gulfport Oral Cancer Screening

1st Annual OCF (spelled out or not) Oral Cancer Screening

Suggestions?

David

If you got to the EVENTS section of the OCF website and look up all the past and present walks and screenings, you may find something to modify to fit your screening. Id nothing strikes you, I would go for:

"1st Annual Gulfport Oral Cancer Screening"

I assume when you write Laura, you actually mean Susan Luria.

Megan, at the OCF office, could probably get you a banner to use to hang on the tent where the screenings are being done.

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320