Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113501 03-02-2010 11:21 PM
notself Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

What should be done after surgery to maintain oral hygiene? I have purchased the following Biotene products which were recommended by the OCF: mouth wash, mouth moisture spray, super soft tooth brushes, toothpaste.

How soon after surgery can my brother uses these products? If he can use them immediately, I will see that he has them in the hospital.

I know this is a minor question, but these preparations are something I can do right now and they make me feel better.

Brother Dx oral cancer March 23. Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Mod Dif Anterior Floor of Mouth, Peridental Soft Tissue, Right Bony Margin. Lymph Nodes 0/56 Stage II,pT2,pN0 2.8 cm
I was Dx b/cancer 9/2007. IDC Stage2 Grade2 2.4 cm 0/8 Nodes ER+ PR+ Her-2 Rad 33 no chemo.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I think it best to wait until after his mouth heals some before starting the brushing of the mouth. Use the mouthwash and it wil help a lot. Can you get him Magic Mouth Wash? That is one thing that refreshes and numbs.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
notself Offline OP
OP Offline

I just googled "Magic Mouthwash" and I got this.

"Magic mouthwash can also be used for pharyngitis, canker sores, and cold sores. One common formulation of the mouthwash contains one part each of viscous lidocaine, Maalox and Benadryl."

And this.

"Another combination contains 12.5 mg Benadryl, 60 ml Maalox, 4 grams Carafate, and xylocaine. Swish, gargle and spit 5-10 ml of this formulation every six hours as needed."

Which do you recommend or do you have another recipe?

Brother Dx oral cancer March 23. Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Mod Dif Anterior Floor of Mouth, Peridental Soft Tissue, Right Bony Margin. Lymph Nodes 0/56 Stage II,pT2,pN0 2.8 cm
I was Dx b/cancer 9/2007. IDC Stage2 Grade2 2.4 cm 0/8 Nodes ER+ PR+ Her-2 Rad 33 no chemo.

Different doctors have different formulations but I thought that "magic mouthwash" is not an over the counter mixture (OTC) but a prescription one, in which case you should ask your brother's doctor for a script. I personally hated it and found that it made me gag and choke despite trying three different formulas but the majority of posts here at OCF found it helpful.
The best thing you can do for your brother's oral hygiene is to make sure the hospital gets you a referral to a dentist or prothodontist who specializes in oral cancer care. I was lucky that my CCC radiation department plus my ENT both recommended the same prothodontist. Once the mouth heals up, getting flouride trays to use daily for life is very standard.
I have all my teeth going on three years after diagnosis and TX and the month I took off of any standard tooth brushing & mouth care after surgery had zero impact - my mouth was just a mess of sores and far too sensitive to anything except water and seltzer water.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
notself Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the advice. I will check to see who my brother's local dentist recommends. He lives in another state. He will be living with us after surgery. We don't as yet know what adjuvant therapy he will have.

Since he went on all his exams by himself and had no one to ask questions for him, there is a whole lot we don't know. He didn't want to scare anyone so kept the whole thing a secret for two months.

When I found a lump in my breast, if my husband hadn't gone to every doctor's appointment with me, I would have not asked a single question or understood a single thing the doctor said. All I heard was cancer blah blah blah.

My Oncologist's recipe is what I use. It doesn't last for a long time and one reson is I take it before meals and at bedtime. Maybe if it wasn't before meals and at bedtime, the effects would last longer. I have no idea how long it lasts at bedtime because I am pretty relaxed from the percocet and xanax.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
notself Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the help, ExJim. It means a lot.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics