Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and am here for my mother. She has larynx cancer. It's squomus cell which I know is the same with most oral cancers. I couldn't find a good larynx cancer forum, and i've been following the threads here, it seems very supportive and informative.

As you can imagine, I feel like I'm going through a never ending horror tunnel. It's been more than a year now since she's been diagnosed and I still wake up every morning wishing it was a bad trip. I pretend to be strong but I'm feeling very torn. It really breaks my heart and literally hurts my body to see her go through this.

My mother was diagnosed with stage 1 larynx cancer on December 2008. Since it was caught very early drs said there's a very high chance that RT alone should destroy the cancer. Sadly, not only it didn't cure her cancer, it had it spread to her lymph nodes which really really scares me.

They removed most of her larynx and did a neck dissection on September 2009 and couldn't do a second radiotherapy. She also had an extra capsular spread in 1 lymph node. Her first PET/CT (December 09) was clean and we burst into tears from instant relief. But in a week from today, she'll have her second checkup (a neck MRI) and I'm very stressed out. I'm scared because they only did a neck dissection and no treatments after.

My question is, how bad is this? Do you think there's a chance it won't come back? What happens if it comes back in the neck, will they just leave it to be? I usually hear that a RT needs to be done after ND but my mother didn't have that chance.

I'm the only one in my family who does some research. My mother isn't even aware of how dangerous her situation is which I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing. My dad refuses to look things up online. I'm an only child and I just feel quite lonely being the only one aware of how fatal her situation might be. I just don't think i can exist without her. So that's why i'm here, for some support.

Much love and strength to everyone who's going through this.

Thank you!

Mother, 53
SCC of the larynx, stage 1- December 2008
Finished RT- March 2009
PET/CT shows recurrance, 1 lymph node involvement- August 2009
Partial laryngectomy+neck dissection- Sep 2009
1 cancerous lymph node, 1.5 cm, extra capsular spread.
no other treatments after.
PET/CT 12/3/09- CLEAN

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I had a total laryngectomy and a neck dissection in 2001 and no radiation because I had already had it in 1997 and thus far have not had a reoccurrence (fingers still crossed). If she has no symptoms, take a deep breath and wait for the results. Here's hoping for the best.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

First off try not to worry about the unknown.

Secondly there have been many who have rec'd radiation twice and some even to the same area radiated the first time so that still may be an option EVEN if it comes back.

Calm down and let's see what happens.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

thank you so much. I generally manage to avoid the worry except when we get so close to the check-up dates. Both of your profiles look very impressive, must feel so great to be long time survivors. Do you think she could have a second surgery option even if not radiotherapy? I get so confused.

Mother, 53
Finished RT- March 2009
PET/CT 12/3/09- CLEAN

The 1st thing you have to do is settle down and quit worrying so much. I am sure your Mother knows what is going on with her body and just doesn't talk about it. Don't think Cancer until it is said to be Cancer and live your life as normaly as you can. Keep your nervousness away from your MOM as I am sure she can feel and see it in your words and that sure won't help her thru this. Your Mom has my prayers and I am sure the prayers of many others. Maybe she is one that doesn't like to talk about this until it is cured or confirmed. She is the one with the stress.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Again, don't worry about things until they are real.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

[quote=Eileen]I had a total laryngectomy and a neck dissection in 2001 and no radiation because I had already had it in 1997 and thus far have not had a reoccurrence (fingers still crossed). If she has no symptoms, take a deep breath and wait for the results. Here's hoping for the best.

Take care,
Eileen [/quote]

Eileen, if you don't mind me asking, why did they do a total laryngectomy when your cancer was only stage 1? Just curious...my mother refused to get the procedure so they took 3/4 of her larynx even though she was stage 4. Of course, her margins are really close to the tumour. We'll see what happens.

Mother, 53
Finished RT- March 2009
PET/CT 12/3/09- CLEAN

My tumor was in exactly the wrong spot, too close to the esophageal opening to get a clean margin. Had I not already had radiation, they would have used radiation. Back then, they did not do it twice. They had hoped to be able to remove it with a laser, but as I said, they would not have able to get a clean margin. I also was not a candidate for a partial because of the location. I would not have been able to eat or drink anything without asperating.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OP Offline

[quote=Eileen]My tumor was in exactly the wrong spot, too close to the esophageal opening to get a clean margin. Had I not already had radiation, they would have used radiation. Back then, they did not do it twice. They had hoped to be able to remove it with a laser, but as I said, they would not have able to get a clean margin. I also was not a candidate for a partial because of the location. I would not have been able to eat or drink anything without asperating.

Take care,
Eileen [/quote]

Oh i see...well, i honestly think it's for the best because now you have no fear. We tried to convince my mom, but it was all too sudden for her and she refused to get it. Now she can only whisper-speak. They did warn her about the asperating risk, she can't eat easily at all. Thank you Eileen. I hope my mom recovers just like you did. I'm so scared of losing her, terrified actually.

Mother, 53
Finished RT- March 2009
PET/CT 12/3/09- CLEAN

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I will keep your mother in my prayers as well. My mother has mouth cancer and I know she has held in her worries - she almost never complains - she is amazing. The others are right - dont' worry until you have something to worry about. The best thing you can do for your Mom now is to try to keep life as normal and loving and enjoyable as possible. Take care and be strong - you will get through this.

CG/Mom: 5 1/2 years SCC upper palate,4 recurrences, surgeries, chemo & radiation. Mom went to Heaven 1/21/11.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23