Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110835 01-21-2010 08:38 PM
OP Offline

I feel like I just wrote this same email, probably because I did just over 4 months ago. Last Thursday, we received devistating news that my mom's tongue cancer has returned. She had been having trouble swallowing and felt that her tongue was a little swollen. Her doctor confirmed our worst fear that a new tumor had grown on her tongue. She had a tumor and about 1/4 of her tongue removed on September 1st. At that time, they thought they had gotten all the cancer, didn't do radiation, and we all felt we were on the road to recovery. In fact, the week before Christmas she went in for her check-up and the doctor said that everything looked good. In hind-site, she did mention at that appointment that she had some tingling in her tongue. Her doctor said it was the nerves healing and probably some scar tissue. We wish now we would have pushed for him to run some tests.

She went to see an Oncologist on Friday and then had a PET scan on Tuesday morning to determine whether or not the cancer had spread anywhere else in her body. The good news, if you can see it that way, is that the cancer is contained to her tongue at this time. Unfortunately, surgery is not an option. If they had to surgically remove the tumor, it would probably require removing the entire tongue or leaving just a small sliver. Instead she is going to have both radiation and chemotherapy. Both will likely begin next week.

She is scared, but keeping a pretty positive attitude. She is ready to fight this terrible disease head on. I'm so amazed at how strong of a woman she is. Her only moments of weakness is when she worries about how my dad is doing through all of this.

"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Angie i am so sory the news was not better,and this just underlines what we always say about throwing everything at this disease thats available.I know she will be scared and i expect you are too,so my advice would be to read up long and hard about side effects of radiotherapy and chemotherapy,and get yourselves ready for a difficult but doable few months.She will need you to be strong and practical and you have a wealth of support and information right here,so stick around and lean on us.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Angie,

Sorry to hear of your mom's reocurance. I know the surgery sounds very drastic- and it is... but Is it not an option because the cancer has spread or because it sounds so drastic?

I had 90% of my tongue removed and I'm doing well now. I can eat and speak. It was a difficult recovery and people have different results. It does sound pretty absolutely horrific when a Dr. tell that to you.

I recommend you get several opinions and gather as much information as you can so that she can make an informed decision on treatment options and success rates etc.

I am so sorry that you and your family are facing this ordeal. It is a lot to take in. Please come here for any support you need during this ordeal.

Kate B.

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Angie,

I'm very sorry to hear about your mom's cancer recurrence. I second Kate's comment on getting as many opinions as you can get about tongue surgery for your mom. I, too, had almost all of my tongue removed, replaced with a flap from my left thigh. If, in addition to chemo and RT, tongue surgery meant significantly increasing my chances of surviving this cancer and reducing risk of spreading or recurrence, I'd certainly agree to surgery. I can communicate verbally and eat (pureed food), and it's been nearly a year after diagnonsis/surgery.

Do visit this site often, a lot of knowledgeable and caring people will give you support, both technically and emotionally, based on their own experiences.

Jojo

Diagnosed: 16Feb'09
Pre-op Dx: Tongue SCCA Stage IVB (T4N2cM0)
Opn: 2Mar'09. Total glossectomy, Neck dissection (Levels I-V), bilateral; Anterolateral, Thigh flap recon'n; Tracheostomy; PEG
Decanullation: 24Mar'09
IMRT x30, concurrent with chemo (cisplatin) x3: May-Jun '09
PEG out: 23Oct'09

I agree with Liz and Kate, get a second opinion here. Radiation was not used the first time around and now you've got a recurrence...throw the kitchen sink at this thing. Surgery and radiation are the two big guns in th arsenal, use whatever means necessary to beat this thing.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23