Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

When you said you are representing OFC i guess you mean us lol.Try to get it right on the night!!!! Now stop whining and get on with it.

best of british luck David

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

My remarks include not only information about my ordeal and it's HPV connection but gruesomely detailed descriptions of the terminal part of our cancer as well as some statistics on OC overall. I have also included some wisdom from Brian so he can feel as if he were there like I'm sure he would want to. I still haven't finished it yet. By coincidence I am taking another employee with breast cancer to Moffitt for her first meeting with her surgeon tomorrow so I plan to have lunch with Dr Guiliano so we can compare our remarks to make sure we don't overlap and waste our precious time.

I want to correct one thing I said in Margaret's reply post and that is the FDA has just recently licensed the Gardasil male vaccine so now this Committee's recommendation will have a greater immediate effect if they advocate a Strong recommendation.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

David, you will have 100 times more information on this aspect of OC than the time they give you to speak - your fans have great confidence in you. Jane and Dick smile

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

The story is now out. Not everything that we hoped, but some progress.

Thank you David for being OCF's voice at this important meeting. Your presentation was well received.

http://oralcancernews.org/wp/us-advisers-decline-to-push-gardasil-for-boys/

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Thanks David, for what I'm sure was a well spoken plea for getting boys and men vacinated.

As Brian said, not what we hoped for, but at least we got something.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Thanks David!!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.

David,
Thanks for doing a good job. It pains me everytime I hear the cost factor in relationship to the number of people affected or the lenght of life or quality of life provided. Even one life is priceless. Quality of life is very subjective and we often base our ideas on "what if." We certainly have more than enough evidence from the postings here to convince anyone that the vacine could prevent much pain and suffering, save lives and actually save money by reducing one of the causes of oral cancer. It seems that if the "cold facts" actuarial community would factor in the overall cost of lost production time from patients, family and friends we would get a more realistic picture of the actual cost.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

David, thank you for doing this. You have a wealth of information and I have learned so much from your posts. Our sons, husbands, brothers, fathers deserve to be protected from the ravishing effects of HPV and this dreadful oral cancer.
Good luck with your presentation and thank you for representing us.
nancy

caregiver to spouse, 55 yrs, dx 9/09 SCC BOT, T2N0,nonsmoker, nondrinker, HPV 16+ ,Lt hemiglossectomy, lt modified radical neck dissection, lt tonsillectomy,PEG 11/08 removed 2/09, 30IMRT, CT neg 4/09, neg CT 10/09
Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

Actually given the voting criteria established by the Chairwoman of the voting committee this outcome is the BEST we could have achieved. Here's what I mean:

SHORT VERSION:

The ACIP voted to give the vaccine it's Permissive Recommendation, less than it's full endorsement which is a Routine Recommendation, BUT it voted to include the vaccine in the VFC (Vaccine For Children) federally funded program meaning any male or their parent that asks for the vaccine and they qualify, it will be given free and it also means major health care insurers usually end up covering it.

LONG VERSION:

First off, boy what a day; what an experience. Getting up at 3 am; seeing my breath in Atlanta; having to drive through a picket line of idiots dressed in contamination suits and signs and TV crews at the entrance to CDC; having the cab stopped over a pit with cameras to view the undercarriage while security guards made everyone exit the car to search it and the trunk while patting us down; then going through another set of detectors just like the airport inside the CDC; finally realizing the magnitude of what I was about to face; walking into the auditorium which would seat 200+ standing room only before the meeting began; all of this before 8 am when the meeting started.

First part of the am was spent discussing whether or not to recommend a newly FDA approved Bivalent HPV vaccine mfg by GSK which only protects females against 16 and 18 as compared to Gardasil's 6, 11, 16 and 18. What a process. HUGE DOLLARS at stake. That went way over it's allotted time and now we (2 from Moffitt and me) were starting to fear our 3 pm return flight was going to be missed so Anna was on her Blackberry. Basically the ACIP recommended (Routine recommendation which is the best).

Query: Why in the world would someone want to give their daughter a vaccine that only protects her from HPV 16 and 18 when she could get one protecting her from 6, 11, 16 and 18 for $2.00 more a shot?

Now to the male vaccination. Remember the vaccine was only licensed for Genital Warts. Also keep in mind that one of the criteria that the ACIP MUST consider is the cost of Quality Adjusted Life Years (QALY) that adding this vaccine to a previously approved female vaccination program would cost. Also realize that if 100% of females were vaccinated then the cost to add the male vaccine would be the highest as the only beneficiaries could be what they called MSM (Men having Sex with Men). Now the Committee was presented with 5 different QALY studies which all started off with assuming a minimum of a 30% female vaccination rate (even though historically statistics show that only 17% of females get all 3 shots) and then going up from that. They also only considered the benefits of reducing the medical costs associated with eliminating male genital warts. So you can imagine, relatively speaking, the cost of QALY's was very high. Some studies did attempt to add the costs associated with oral, anal and penal cancers but the Committee was told that "UNTIL we are presented with proven data and the drug is approved for those diseases, we can not consider them in our recommendation."

The voting Committee (the inner committee) consists of 15 cream of the crop hand picked immunization medical experts in their own fields. Next there is a "outer" committee consisting of non voting members representing all the major players in a federally funded immunization program who can ask questions and make their recommendations known but can't vote. Believe me if your name didn't have a Dr or PhD with it you were either me or the security guards at all the doors.

Most, if not all, of the outer members spoke in favor of the highest recommendation and said not to include known HPV diseases was not proper.

Next came the speakers who had previously registered and been approved to speak. Back tracking, when I was told I would be speaking but not how much time I had, I first pulled out a 10 min speech I already had and modified it. Then I talked to Brian who said I would probably be limited to 3 or 5 mins so I cut it down to 7 and then to 5. Then I finally talked to a Committee staff on Monday who told me 3 mins. I tried and tried but the best I could do was 3:23 and that's what I went up with. Now the Chairwoman announced that she was going to have to cut the speakers time to 2 minutes due to running late and she was going to ask the speakers to speak in the order that they signed up and BAM, "would David Hastings please step up." Believe me there was NO way I could have cut ANOTHER 1 plus out of my planned remarks so I told her that I had been told that I was to have 3 mins and I would do my best....no way I said to myself.

I guess since she had already made up her mind and probably wanted to eat lunch she stopped all speakers after 6 of us had spoken against her.

Then the Committee voted to give their Permissive recommendation which was not the whole enchilada but was close.

The next vote was to determine if the Committee would include this vaccine in the VFC ( Vaccines For Children's) federally funded program and that vote was just as, if not more important, than the first as it would mean that if approved then the federal gov't would buy and administer this vaccine free to qualified uninsured or under insured males. It also usually meant that major health care insurers would probably go along. The Committee APPROVED this.

This now means that if a male or their parent asks for the vaccine they will get it.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Great job. Thanks for the summary and taking time from your private life to fight for what is right. You are truly an amazing individual.

I recommend you for an honorary Dr. before your name.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina