Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ryan47 Offline OP
OP Offline

hello all,
i am new to the forum. i am researching on behalf of my uncle, who has been diagnosed with oral squamous cell carcinoma, well-differentiated, mandible. he has no health insurance and was on unemployment until recently. luckily, friends and contacts have gotten us an appointment with a surgeon at a hospital that may take him in as a charity case, but i'm looking to arrange his post-op chemo and radiation. he hasnt qualified for medicaid in the past. does anyone have any suggestions on how to arrange this? the hospital may or may not take care of it, but it would be easier for him to do chemo/radiation near his home, which is nowhere near the hospital. he lives near the quad cities. any suggestions?

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Get on the phone and make as many calls as needed. Talk to the social workers at the Centers and maybe you will find him treatments closer to home. Nothing ventured,, nothing gained.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Here in Fl we have County programs that will pay for everything associated with health care for those that qualify under the various programs they have so perhaps there's a similar network up there.

I have helped 2 within the last year get that assistance and both had all their cancer treatments fully paid for. In fact they both also qualified for a program that also gave them $500 in cash to use for medical supplies associated with their breast cancer.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23